don't click here

Sonic Worlds Next (for Godot)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Techokami, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Uhhh why did you make an unofficial repo? We were going to make the repo we were using public once we addressed a few key things, which we have done.
    Therefore, the official development repo is now public! Use this one!

Of note, some changes since we did a preview release:
    -Code is now better documented. This should make it easier for people to dive in and work with the innards.
    -Special Stage framework added! Which is basically just a way to save and load the state of a level while you transition to and from a Special Stage. Make your own Special Stages!
    -Knuckles has his own independent start position now...
    -You can more easily change the screen width. You want your precious widescreen? You can get your precious widescreen!

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Absolutely awesome, I was waiting for this. "Better documented" is an understatement, you guys commented almost everything, from what I can see, many thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Rastar

Rastar

NM
    I needed someplace to store the project while you guys were working on things. Plus was having computer issues and didn't want to loose the work. Now that you have a main repo, I'm probably just going to push my work in. Also wow, loosing track of time as you posted that a month ago!

4. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    FYI, we're currently working on migrating the project to Godot 4.0, which will take a bit of time to do (a bunch of stuff got depreciated or no longer globally accessible without using getter/setter functions) but will be very much worth it in the end (namely, the level editor will be dramatically improved!)

5. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Godot 4 fully released on the 1st, so yeah, getting started on that earlier was a good call. Can't wait to see the Godot 4 version, the new tileset system is gonna be a huge improvement for level design workflows.

6. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Bumping this thread for a question, if that's alright? :)

I've noticed there are 9(!) forks for Sonic Worlds NEXT, and I'm very curious about the state of the Godot 4 ports. Which of these ports is the most "official"? (Or at least, the most complete thus far.) I don't mind if all of them are still at varying stages of completeness; I'm willing to do some grunt-work myself if the gaps aren't overwhelming

The reason I ask is because I've been out of the loop with NEXT for a year, and I'm finally on the pre-production grind for my next project; a Sonic-like indie aiming to embrace Sonic's gameplay roots, instead of running (hehe) from them

Worlds NEXT is *the* prime framework for that project, so I want to start coding, now that we have finished walk cycles and more animations on the way. My dilemma is I don't know whether stick to Worlds NEXT on Godot 3.5, or is it possible to dive into Godot 4.x with the ports at-present?

Godot 4 looks pretty nice. I wouldn't mind helping out, where possible, if these ports still need more work.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  7. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    The Godot4_port branch I think is the most official and up to date, from what I can tell. It seems to be fairly stable at this point, aside from not being able to play one or two of the scenes for some reason. In fact it's got a bunch of new features that the 3.5 version doesn't have, but yeah, I would also like to know when the port might become considered 'fully stable', or at least relatively stable enough for production.

8. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I appreciate the confirmation that it's the "official" branch! :)

That is the fork I tried, but unfortunately, I think recent commits for upgrading the fans gimmick broke everything? It couldn't obtain the width of the screen correctly, according to the errors. (The camera boundary seems to have a similar issue)

Even after I deleted the nodes for the fans in the Main Scene, (so error codes would stop going to the 1,000's place) the test scene then halted on some physics functions. The errors about the physics were discouraging; it made me less sure about how far along the port had been refactored for Godot 4 :(

All the menus work correctly, at least, and so does the transition effect. But after the transition- all the errors start piling up

Hopefully this is something I can look at closer, myself, despite my inexperience with GDScript. Seeing as I can make GML do (almost) anything I want it to, it would be unproductive of me to complain that something isn't working

The most useful thing I could do as somebody who wants to use this framework, is give back to it. So- time to get my hands dirty :)

9. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Yeah, things are a bit broken at the moment (which is why I haven't been saying much in here!) so the problem is that things are in an unstable state. Though I have raised this error with the team.

EDIT: As of the latest commit (518de2aa71d32d38052e9438d1b680da6889e7bf) this problem is fixed

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Thank you for the clarification, Techokami! :) I just checked the GitHub page, and that fix clearly took some work; so many files were modified

I downloaded the ZIP, and saw that Worlds NEXT is only breaking on the physics process now, in its present state. This is the nature of game dev, with ports, in my experience; one time, it took me two weeks of bug fixes before I saw an older GM project booting in a newer version of GM :V

Not sure how much time I'll have to poke at the code myself yet. I need to find a new place to move to, and I'm still as busy as ever with Shang Mu Architect. But, oh Lord- I'm so eager to see this working on Godot 4, it might get the better of me. If I can manage any useful fixes, I'll see y'all on GitHub :)

11. Rastar

Rastar

NM
    Hey guys, I was wondering should I commit my Cream character build to the godot 3 branch? I know I threw it together and made my own page. But figured I should ask about that before doing so.

12. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    We're mainly focused on the Godot 4 branch. That, and I'm personally unsure about adding Cream to Worlds Next... maybe as a tutorial to teach people how to add new characters?
    Also I can't seem to find your code to review. All I can see is a YouTube video and it looks like it's just an edit of Tails?

13. Rastar

Rastar

NM
    I finally got gitlab to behave and make the project public at: https://gitlab.com/ryanhedge1/sonic-worlds-next . But yes it is an edit of Tails and setup as a new character slot. I would like to add Cheese in to Cream like she has in Sonic Advance 2/3 and also do a bit of cleanup work. Take a look at it and tell me what you think.

14. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I just wanted to say. I meant to help out with the "firefight" for the Godot 4 port, but- I had a rough June :( I spent the whole month looking for another place to live; lost so much sleep, and what time I had went into escapism (spriting and Minecraft) instead.

However, things are looking better for me; I'm (mostly) settled into a new place, and giving Worlds Next another sincere dive

I am beyond surprised at y'all's progress on the Godot 4 port. (Almost) everything is fully working, well ahead of SAGE, even! It's already in a state where I feel comfortable using it, even as it is now. If anyone lurking is curious about what's Next for the Godot 4 version, this is a great time to sneak an early peak, ahead of an announced release :)

Hopefully, if I'm able to find/fix any bugs as I learn my way around this framework, I'll take them straight to GitHub. All of you on the team deserve so much for this Godot framework existing; there's no doubt in my mind that Worlds Next will be a treasure to the future of the fan game scene, and indie projects that want to be faithful to Sonic's gameplay. Thank you

15. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Well, I got some good news! The Godot 4 port is pretty much done! The main branch on the repo now holds Worlds Next 2.0 with lots of new features and gimmicks like current tunnels, fans, The Barrel, and even Amy Rose! The older Godot 3 version is now on a different branch if you still need that one. Go check it out!

16. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    OH BOY

Time to figure out how to replace rings with a traditional health bar system and such lmao

But seriously this is fantastic news, hopefully I can get some time to play around with it.

17. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Well. Considering recent events... It looks like you dodged a bullet with this one.

18. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Yeeeup... I made a Good Choice here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    More like a Godot choice, amarite?

eh..? eeeeeeh?