don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Headcanon Thread of Lore and Time Stones

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlackHole, Aug 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think it's more that there was a pillar connected to the Master Emerald that distributed its energy to the island, as the early SA1 concept art from before they came up with the outdoor altar seems to suggest. There is what appears to be a pillar above the emerald altar:
    [​IMG]

The accompanying concept art depicted the Master Emerald (and the Chaos Emeralds) within the altar, implying that they're separate (but related) things.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Chaotix is the one to clarify that the Master Emerald is the pillar in question. Sonic Adventure may have considered retconning to an actual pillar though.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That sounds ambiguous enough to me. If the pillar's purpose was transferring the ME's energy, then it would be fitting to call it the "Master Emerald pillar".

4. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I don't think there was supposed to be more than one altar at that point, so I'd assume it's indeed the one from Hidden Palace.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'm just using the one at the start, it's mention multiple times and it's treated as the Master Emerald being the pillar:

If it's simply transferring the energy, then it seems incorrect to say something is amplifying the power of the pillar instead of the Master Emerald.

It's something I headcanoned:
    Actually, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 seems to treat the Altar of the Chaos Emeralds as separate from the 'pillar's location, aka Hidden Palace Zone. He's patrolling the Altar of the Chaos Emeralds at the start, which are controlling the power beneath the island, the wording inferring the two are separate since why would they refer to the altar, but clarify the pillar is beneath the island after instead of just saying the entire altar is below ground?

7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Well, I don't know why they would refer to the Master Emerald as a "pillar" when it clearly wasn't one. Even the S3 level sketches depict it as a huge emerald, rather than a pillar. But regardless of what the original intention was, the SA1 concept art seems to have interpreted it as a crystal pillar connected to the emeralds' altar, coinciding with the wording in the S3 manual:

Well yeah. But it's uncertain whether it implies that Angel Island had two altars since the beginning, or that the devs changed their minds as to what the altar's location should be before S&K was finished.

It might also be a remnant of early plans where each zone would have had an underground temple per the level sketches. They even show the dragon legend's mural in the scrapped Mushroom Hill temple, suggesting that the altar would have been there.

Worth pointing out that the manual quote I just posted implies that the pillar was always intended to be connected to the emeralds.

8. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Aforementioned concept art shows the Master Emerald beneath ground, so it does appear to have been the plan from the start.
    I know Mushroom Hill had one, but not the others. Did something get translated and I miss it?

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Nah, that's just me misremembering, sorry. I just checked the sketches and they imply that Knuckles would have taken an underground path in each zone, but only a handful like Launch Base and Mushroom Hill would have underground temples.

11. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Iizuka has said the Super Emeralds are a thing, so Hyper Sonic.

13. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Iizuka changes his mind every time the Super Emeralds are brought up. I think it's fairly obvious that he makes up these answers on the spot.

Remember that when Taxman was asked about the Super Emeralds, he implied Hyper Sonic is non-canon. Also remember that Mania was intended to have the Super Emeralds at one point, and being its dev he would know the reason they were cut.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I would make the Super Emeralds the Chaos Emeralds empowered by the Altar (and it's copies like Hidden Palace), + - developed by the Ancients long ago in case they needed to employ them further against The End should their last stand on the Starfall Islands fail.  

The process limits the Chaos Emeralds to the respective Altar, though, and with the Altar of Emerald being half-destroyed by the Death Egg's impact, they'd have to be transported to the Hidden Palace Zone of Angel Island or the ARK where Gerald managed to construct another working Altar of Emerald, but they'd have to remove the system that would cause the ARK to enter freefall again for the latter.

And yes, the process enables Hyper Sonic to exist, but it's not some second form, it's simply a more powerful Super Sonic. The flaws are the aforementioned issue that the Chaos Emeralds are kinda stuck in the one location, and honestly Super Sonic is already invulnerable. Hyper Sonic would be overkill. Aforementioned system in the ARK Altar is why they didn't use it in Sonic Adventure 2, it would just make things worse, eat up time removing a system they don't know where to start with in the first place, and Super Sonic and Super Shadow could handle it anyway.

16. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

17. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Theory time. Why does the end of level song in JP/EU Sonic CD go "TELEPORTATION YEAH"? Because originally, each act would have taken place in a different timezone. Act 1 = present, act 2 = past, act 3 = future (or something similar). So when you beat an act, you would be teleported to another era.

This is supported by the fact the devs stated that the reason the acts in Sonic CD are called "zones" is that the word stands for timezone in this instance. This doesn't make much sense in the final game, where the acts are just different areas of the current round and can be visited in multiple timezones, but it becomes more sensible if applied to the original structure.

So the act nomenclature and the level clear song are remnants of the original plans for the time travel gimmick.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  19. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Did they ever specify that CD's final time travel mechanism was planned since the beginning? All I know is that Ohshima didn't want there to be loading screens when changing timezones.