don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The hub worlds in Sonic Unleashed play much slower than White Space or other levels from Sonic Generations. They probably figured it's not worth their time or money. Or I dunno, maybe it has something to do with Classic Sonic.

2. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    Sonic 2 Development Page has a link to "Sonic Panic" video. But it does not work anymore.
    However, I found another version of it here:

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Done'd, but you can edit the wiki by yourself if you create an account over there (yeah, I know, you'd think it would be automatically linked to your forum account, but no).

4. Interesting. Unleashed really had some polish on certain things that most of the subsequent games lacked. I’m glad I was able to grow to appreciate it over the past 2 years, and that I got a Series X so I didn’t have to suffer through the PS3 version anymore lol.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I remember being blown away by the slope feet and how his side mouth changed sides depending on where the camera was positioned. It's still baffling to me how Unleashed had so much poured into it compared to pretty much everything since. Of course Generations was fantastic, Frontiers was great, and I'm excited to see what's next, but I really would like to see them take another crack at a game like Unleashed. Sure, the medal collecting messed with the pace a little, and some of the night stages could drone on at times, but for the most part everything clicked into place really well. The world felt lived in and the NPCs felt like they had been there all along, and to this day one of my favorite things about the game is just being Sonic in a world where you can help everyday people with everyday stuff.

It's too bad that as the years went by little details like this went by the wayside, and the world around Sonic began feeling more plastic and sanitized, but things seem to be veering back in the right direction so we'll see how it all plays out I guess.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I agree that Unleashed had a lot of attention to detail and worldbuilding compared to the more artificial-feeling installments that proceeded it. I think it's due to Sonic Team's shift from grand, ambitious games to more focused experiences.

7. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Unleashed felt like a big budget game. I have yet experience this feeling again when playing another new Sonic game, the closest thing was Adventure 1 back on Dreamcast.

Frontiers is okay, but it feels... Rushed? Incomplete? It's lacking in animation and fev other areas. Hope the sequel would be improved upon, I've read somewhere that Sega is giving all of its games higher budgets so...

8. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I always wondered how much of what followed Unleashed and Colors was based on deliberately keeping costs down as much as possible, or simply that they were building directly off of Colors and never bothered upping the specs.

I was under the impression that Colors was more of a stopgap because "lol, Wii less powerful". But then Generations, Lost World, etc. seemed to be built right on top of it, whereas I was expecting them to be built on top of the pretty, jazzed-up and slightly refined base of Unleashed.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Generations was built off Unleashed but Lost World and onwards were built off various iterations of Colors’ engine being hacked and slashed.

And actually wasn’t Colors built off Black Knight? It’s possible basically all modern Sonic games post 2007 can be traced back to Secret Rings with the exceptions of Unleashed and Generations. Those two were also the only ones that used Havok and are also probably the best feeling games to play.

If they are still building off Colors or possibly Secret Rings… ya maybe they should start over eventually.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Lost World and Forces also use Havok. I'd assume Frontiers does too.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They do? I thought Colors used something else and all the other games were based off that.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Colors uses PhysX. Lost World is based on the Colors codebase, and Forces is in turn since it's based on Lost World, but both use Havok for the physics. I think you're confusing the physics engine for the game engine—they're separate things that handle different processes. The game engine implements all the basic technologies, while the physics engine uses information it's fed to simulate object physics.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Remember these two ads for Sonic & Knuckles?

The director of these commercials was a 1995 Clio Awards Shortlist winner for them. So you may ask, who is the man who made these?

[​IMG]
    No, I'm not making this up. It's Zack fucking Snyder.

(Thanks to Crazy Ass Moments in Sonic the Hedgehog History for pointing this out)

14. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I guess Sonic can join the Synderverse now

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    He did the first ever Got Milk? commercial as well.

Your point?

16. Chris-M

Chris-M

I thought that was the lord of explosions himself, Michael Bay

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Oh. You're right. I got them mixed up.

Disregard then.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

What's with SoA's obsession with spoiling the final bosses in the old Sonic games? They always shoved captures of them in the ads, manuals, and even back of the boxes.

19. Pengi

Pengi

20. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Definitely Nintendo Power, likely early 2002 going by Animal Crossing still being called Animal Forest.