don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RDNexus

RDNexus

Some Tubers simply took the bait without checking twice ^^"
    At least The Sonic Show made a vid about those fake leaks...

2. Pengi

Pengi

Then what would be the point? That's not filling in a continuity gap, that's creating a new continuity gap and making things more convoluted.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Mostly to shout-out to the Sonic Adventure titles.

I'm honestly not sure why Knuckles put the Master Emerald back in Hidden Palace for Sonic Mania anyway (if he did, but let's not get into the illusion debate for now), other than for a similar shout-out the other way, since the former half of the name no longer applies and, in fact, is demonstrated in Sonic Mania.

4. Of course they do. SonicTubers need something to talk about I guess.:V

5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Almost every SonicTuber makes me sick and nauseous

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

Actually, I jumped the gun.
    The Tuber's vid title misled me, quite clickbaity ^^"

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Unfortunately, we're kind of stuck until they confirm this officially. I believe the existence of Plus is real, but the only thing we can speculate on is a very small leak claim from this thread (from a reasonably trusted user), the korean rating, and the questions that we're asked in the survey from last year.

Mania Plus came out in July 2018, 11 months after the initial release. If that pattern holds, Origins Plus could be a May 2023 release, but there's no telling if that pattern will hold either. It could be either earlier or later... but I'd guess we'd have it by late summer at worst (especially if ratings are starting now).

So let's keep it in perspective. 4chan leaks are rarely right. Let's focus on what we do know and stick to that rather than bashing youtubers for being... well... part of youtuber culture.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

It was the decision to make Chaotix/3D Blast and Ristar back in the day that robbed us of a proper Sonic 4 (No regrets about Ristar though, that was actually great).

But yeah, Sonic 4 needs a complete do-over and we can treat the shoddy spaz job we got as Sonic 4 Beta.

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Not really, Sonic Team have said in interviews that they wanted to take a break from Sonic after S&K. So there still wouldn't have been at Sonic 4 even if Chaotix/3D Blast/Ristar hadn't happened.

10. Yeah, Naka and co. were kicking around NiGHTS for a while and they really wanted to move away from Sonic. Even if Sega wanted to make another standard Sonic game, it wouldn’t have been “Sonic Team” doing it. So we’d still probably claim it isn’t a “legit” Sonic 4.

11. Snowbound

Snowbound

The Ristar/Sonic association has always confused me. If I recall correctly there’s shared staff between CD and Ristar but I also hear people say that Ristar reuses Ohshima’s rabbit concept… but Ohshima didn’t work on Ristar. I know Ristar was originally a rabbit but has it ever been confirmed that Ristar reused that idea? Is there another sonic connection I’m unaware of?

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Isn't it just the case that Oshima's rabbit could pick things up with his ears and Ristar was sort of inspired by that concept and has long arms that sort of act like the ears of the rabbit?

13. Some people claim that Ristar is a Sonic Team game. It's not. It just shares some staff and I believe that it may reuse some of the Sonic engine, but I'm not 100% on that.

Edit: And yeah, the grabbing things being similar to the rabbit.

14. Snowbound

Snowbound

And that’s the thing, how do we know that the grabbing mechanic isn’t a coincidence? Like has a developer directly stated they were inspired by Ohshima’s rabbit?

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    You know, this makes me wonder.

If an emulator is added, could other titles like Ristar and Flicky make a comeback as bonuses, like in Mega Collection?

Obviously, I want the extra games to be part of the Sonic franchise first... (8bit and 16/32Bit Spinoffs, pretty much anything before 1998 should be considered if possible)...

But I guess it'd be nice to have a semi-related title or 2 thrown in if it doesn't interfere with the inclusion of others.

16. Snowbound

Snowbound

I would be down with other Sonic Team or STI games being included… as long as it’s not the only thing they are adding.

I personally am hoping they can add an arcade area with multiple cabinets such as Sonic the fighters, SegaSonic, SegaSonic bros etc. if they did this then flicky would fit right in.

One more thing I’ve been dreaming of. I highly doubt we are getting Sonic Spinball remade in the retro engine (although that would be awesome) but I would be very happy if we got an emulated Sonic Spinball with an animated intro and ending. Especially if we could get the freedom fighters animated by tyson hesse.

17. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Haha yeah they... Oh that's me isn't it?

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    "Sonictuber" is such an awful term, anyway. Grouping various channels together by one interest they happen to share like that only creates weird expectations and standards for those channels and an in-group out-group argument over who does and doesn't belong. It's the same problem as "breadtube", only on a smaller scale. Like, it's not some club, it's a blanket term for people that sometimes talk about one thing. Like, I mostly just make Sonic content, but I don't want to create the impression that that's all I can talk about. I've been trapped on Mr. Penders's wild ride for the past half a year, and I'm already worried that's made us into "the Archie Sonic guys" and things will get weird once we hit SA1 in a couple months. I don't need the additional headache of having to clarify everything if I decide to make a non-Sonic video once in a while.

19. Well, I think most of us are referring to the nonstop crappy rumour mill channels, not just people who talk about Sonic. I mean everyone pretty much likes Cybershell. Pariah695 is also a great up-and-coming channel with an insane output over the past year. He called rings, "coins," for like dozens of videos as a joke which threw me off before I realised what he was doing. I was like, "How can this guy who cares so much about the series and goes so in-depth on each game, call them coins?" It was a super risky play because I almost shut the video off as soon as I heard it lol.

20. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Yeah I know what you guys are referring too...

That's why I've not done 'that kind' of video for years now. They're just... crap.

To bring it back to Origins. This 'rumor', what the hell can you even say on it "Okay I can definitely see this being true because *Here is my absolutely absolutely uninformed opinion which sounds logical but lacks any actual grounding in business or corporate logistics for this king of project!*

That's why I'm pretty much just doing documentary retrospectives and analysis vids.

At I have some qualifications in that field so I can try to put together something decent for you to discuss l, even if I'm absolutely wrong, I'd rather my or any video on games get you to think about what you're playing over artificial outrage or hype about something with nothing backing it up.