don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. Frostav

Frostav

Ya know.

I'm a fan of the two Sonic movies. They did good with the kinda flawed premise "Sonic but He Real" and I will absolutely be there for 3 when release day comes, but I just got home from watching Puss in Boots: The Last Wish and like. Wow. We could had this but with Sonic (scene is the intro to the movie so it's not spoilery!).

This actually ties into a thing I've been thinking. With the Mario movie being fully 3CDG animated, I feel like the Sonic movies are these...weird relics of an older time already. That time, that several decades, where cartoony franchises would ALWAYS get weird "but what if he were RealTM" live-action movies if they got adapted to the big screen. And while I think these two movies are good...I really wanna see Sonic get the crazy-stylized big-budget animated movie that could do him so much justice. Prime was fun, but obviously limited by its TV budget.

I dunno. These Sonic movies just feel like the last dying gasp of that era where movie execs were obsessed with "but what if he were RealTM" when adapting beloved cartoony franchises to the big screen, and they're only going to look more and more bizarrely dated as time goes on.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That's because they are. The original movie has been in production since like 2014. Obviously not in its final form, but the structure has been there for a long time. We were still getting things like Smurfs, Yogi, Alvin, Paddington (great movie by the way) to name a few so Sonic's film concept was along those lines.
    2018's Spider-Verse reception, commercial success and winning an award definitely help change perception of what an animated film can be. The Last Wish comes from a studio trying to stand out against the current juggernauts. Mario come from the watchful eye of its creator making sure the previous mistakes don't occur again. There is a lot more investment in making sure those projects go absolutely right.
    Sonic is Paramount trying to find another tentpole franchise. This isn't to discredit the work that was done by the production staff mind you. I think they did a phenomenal job with what they were given and they captured the essence of Sonic for me, even if the film wasn't anywhere as close as to the care that Mario has. I can only hope that after the 3rd film and the success of Mario, and Spider-Verse 2, Paramount decides to do a "soft" reboot and try to do a full on CG film with the property. Sort of like what they're doing with Turtles right now.

This will never stop being funny by the way.
    [​IMG]

3. Wildcat

Wildcat

I guess it does seem the movies just missed the animated trend...but I’m so glad it did. I waited almost all my life for live action Sonic. I needed it in live action. I love seeing him and all of it “real”.

If they had changed their minds and went fully animated I would have been so upset. I would have watched it but it would have been hard to enjoy.

4. Fadaway

Fadaway

I am glad it is what it is. Sonic being in the ‘real world’ was how the series always felt to me. Although I'm not very much into the 3D Sonic games, Sonic Adventure always had that vibe. I think for Sonic, it is a good direction for the film side of things. But, I do hope they have more locations, plot elements, and music from the games in the third one. I hope they take inspiration from Sonic CD and perhaps inspiration from the OVA as well. I can hope.

With the right direction, a ‘Sonic in the real world’ movie can be great in my opinion.

5. I hope we get some news about the "Knuckles TV series" in the near future. It's been awhile we've heard anything about it.

6. MH MD

MH MD

i thought Paramount had some conference in 16th February, where a lot of people expect to hear new things about the third movie and Knuckles show.....soooo....in just about 2 days from now, hopefully

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ah yes, the movie that really emphasizes my issues with Sonic Prime. I won't got into details, all I'll say is one of the villains (you know the one) shows how the animated medium can tackle such deep subjects.

I would otherwise definitely like to see a Sonic the Hedgehog movie to that style and standard. Perhaps in the future...

8. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

This is really funny, though I've kinda grown tired of seeing it since most jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding this.
    All studios do this when it comes to awards, they have to be ready to take advantage in case their movie wins, it's just whichever store this was didn't get the memo about putting up the correct sign.

9. Let's hope they announce something at this conference.

10. Since Death Egg Robot was in the second movie, I kinda hope Egg Carrier will be in Sonic 3.

Yes, we don't know if Eggman / Carrey will be in, but still...

11. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Conspiracy that Jim only said he'd retire so that they'd pay him more

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Egg Carrier is kind of difficult to imagine the Movie version of Robotnik ever having the resources for, since that's been established as something that's important to the writers, with him having to utilize the Master Emerald to even get the Death Egg Robot. The Egg Carrier is huge and I can't imagine the government providing for more than what's seen in the first two movies and maybe some extra yet unseen robots here and there. (Although Stone did somehow set up the headquarters in the Mean Bean, I Think that's slightly more negligible than a whole walkable flying cargo warship.)

13. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
  14. Doug Olsen, storyboard artist, added this credit to his website.
    source.

15. Londinium

Londinium

So it's actually happening??? I forgot the Knuckles show was supposed to be a thing.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Did you think they were going to have something to show already? They weren't even in pre-production phase when they announced it.
    Sonic is a big cash cow for Paramount right now. Their other tentpole franchises are struggling. Knuckles show was absolutely going to happen after the announcement and success of Sonic 2.

17. Londinium

Londinium

Nah, I just kinda forgot it even existed.

18. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I didn't forget. I've been waiting for my Paramount+ subscription to be worth it. So far I've only really used it to watch stuff I could watch litterally anywhere else / on my own copies.

I hope we get some real details on it sooner rather than a "It's coming!" in November.

19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I just expected them to have a teaser by now since they announced it a year ago.

On a different note. I met Colleen at comicon a couple weeks ago and asked her about her experience being in the movie. She mentioned that voicing Tails in the end credit scene in Sonic 1 was a fluke and didn't expect to be in Sonic 2, but that Tails was never recast and she just sort of became the permanent voice.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. THE HAT.

We got new info for the Knuckles series.