don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That's the ST of now. The old ST didn't get to have much influence on the DIC cartoons or old comics. Naka even complained in interviews about Sonic Underground giving Sonic siblings, and how he only learned about it when he watched it on TV.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I’d be incredibly surprised if anything from the Western cartoons or pre-IDW comics have had any influence on Sonic Team at any point in time.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Chili Dogs.

4. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Touché. I still wonder how that came about.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  6. I think the larger question Plorpus is asking is how an element developed by a western adaption of Sonic came to be incorporated into the games by Sega of Japan. They usually remain unaware/indifferent to western Sonic media at best and dislike it at worst. It’s possible that Sonic’s love for chili dogs became so ubiquitous in the fan community regardless of continuity that Sega saw no risk of brand confusion in having Sonic of the games adopt the trait as well. I would be interested to know if anyone from Sega has spoken to this.

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    At around that same time they adapted that into the games (maybe a bit later) they also made the effort to add Nocturne from Sonic Chronicles into Mario and Sonic as a dream event's location. It's likely they meant to do more stuff like that, until 2010 happened and people started lawsuits over the this continent's stuff. Maybe we could've even got some Swatbots in there somewhere.

8. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  9. Not really as aliens, no. In the Western Sonic media in the 90s case it was just that the planet in that reality is called Mobius. I was digging for similar examples from cartoons of the era, but they mostly limited it to large-scale fictional areas such as Megakat City (SWAT Kats) or Dunwyn (Adventures of the Gummi Bears) or The Mushroom Kingdom (Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3 and related shows, plus I hear there are some video games set in this location as well?).

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

A lot of the adaptations definitely treated Mobius as an alien planet. Some comics began with the words "Welcome to the planet Mobius", including the US promo comic. STC depicted Mobius and Earth as two separate planets that existed in the same universe. I recall Sonic Underground giving Mobius alien skies, and whenever a non-anthro bird, cat, rat, etc. was shown, it would have alien features like two tails, more than two eyes or such (despite the games clearly using ordinary small animals). AOSTH and Underground also had a few characters that were clearly made up species. There were other examples that currently escape me.

In fact, I recall it being implied that the reason SoA came up with Mobius was to explain the semi-surreal environments in the games. It being an exotic alien world was the very point.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The comic they released has Kintobor saying "It attracts all the evil forces on your planet!"
    [​IMG]
    So yeah, they were aliens. Though technically, Kintobor/Robotnik is the alien, since he appears to hail from Earth (Erinaceus Europaeus, European Hedgehog).

Still curious if the seventh Emerald was a SEGA of Japan mandate, or if they just got insanely lucky...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    51:22 - With Christmas Island not being his birthplace, is the current story establishing that Green Hill is where Sonic was born and lives?

No. Absolutely not. I will fight to the death on that one. I am so sick and tired of Green Hill.

[Looks more like Ian doesn't want this to be true, instead of it actually not being true]

52:07 - Are the events Classic Sonic followed after Forces the same as Sonic originally followed (i.e. Adventure 1/2, Heroes, etc.), in the exact same fashion he did the first time?

Suffice to say, the classic timeline plays out in order, uniterrupted by any time travel shenanigans (...).

13. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

6:06 - You said in an earlier Bumblekast Q&A you received an answer on Blaze in 06 that you can’t talk about. My question to you is does Sonic Team seem interested in sharing what their answer is to the fans at a later date or do you think they’ll keep the door closed on the matter forever? Thanks to 06, I viewed Blaze as a post apocalyptic survivor from the future for a long time instead of royalty from another dimension, so it’d be nice to get closure on why she was portrayed a future denizen.

- I can't speak for the entirety of Sonic Team... I know there has been some discussion about it. On the one hand, I want it out there just to tie a bow on it. But on the other hand, Sonic 06 is 20 years old now, and it was not the best received title. So one line of thinking is: why dredge up a confusing plot point from a game that most folks don't remember or don't particularly like, just to explain it, when it doesn't affect anything anymore? (...)

11:15 - In another Q&A you stated the way Silver time travels has not been publicly revealed when a bio on Sonic Channel stating he can travel through time with chaos control was brought to question. Looking at the same bio, it references Silver as a new rival to Sonic. My own interpretation of this is it is alluding Silver uses Chaos control to travel though time in Rivals not just 06 since it was posted a year after Rivals 2. Naturally you can’t talk about the new stuff directly, but are we to consider whatever the new method may be a retcon, and does this mean Sonic, Shadow, and Silver can no longer use chaos control to travel through time? Mostly I just find it weird they set up an entire plot in 06 around using chaos emeralds to time travel to then backtrack on it over a decade later.

- Dual Chaos Control is still a means of time travel. It just isn't necessarily how Silver has been doing it since 06, because you quite literally need two to tango on that one (I think, I don't think you can do dual - Chaos Control alone -, maybe if you have two Chaos Emeralds). I guess it's technically a retcon because it's not been established publicly yet and it would be retroactively established once it is public.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    ...for the reason you just said, to tie a bow on it and end nearly 2 decades of discourse.

I imagine they can go about it via a TailsTube episode talking about Silver and the future he hails from, raising that Blaze "seemed "familiar" with that ruinous city during the incident with the Time Eater" and Sonic elaborating that she once told him she ended up there because <insert Sonic Team's explanation here>.

16. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The issue is not Blaze traveling to Sonic's dimension, but to the future.

18. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

So if they have no intentions of addressing the matter again, why isn't Ian allowed to talk about it? It would be the perfect way of addressing that infamous plot hole. Ian explains the whole thing to the nerds who care about continuity in his podcast and the actual Sonic media doesn't have to bother with it.

Alternatively, they could have put it in the Encyclospeedia.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Also the unknown state of Blaze and Sonic's relationship. We believe it to be pre-Sonic Rush, but Blaze does seem to be aware of Sonic.

It also doesn't help the pre-release script leak had Mephiles say, quote:
    [​IMG]
    "A bridge... to other worlds!" huh?

Sonic Team: So what do we get out of it?

Flynn: Well, it might actually shut that BlackHole idiot up?

Sonic Team: Do it.