don't click here

Naoto Ohshima's art that inspired Sonic's animations and more...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MasterDreamcaster, Jan 20, 2023.

1. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    Thank you for your advice!
    https://segaretro.org/J.League_Pro_Striker

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Astro

Astro

Is this fan art or actual official promo/concept art from SEGA? Since if it's the latter, I feel like this is the first (or only time really) seeing Ray paired up with Vector in a piece, or Mighty and Ray mixed into the scrapped band concept for that matter.

3. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    That is official concept art, though someone has colored it. The original is just line art.

https://twitter.com/naotoohshima/status/975790031632719873

4. Astro

Astro

Man that's pretty cool, I wonder if they were still thinking of ways to re-incorporate the band idea after Sonic 1/SEGASonic, or alternatively reworking Ray or the other band members into the Chaotix when that came around.

Sorta funny how things went full circle with Mania Plus and now Mighty and Ray are back, but for w/e reason the classic version of Vector/the Chaotix aren't.

5. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

[​IMG]
    I have a toy which looks similar to that character from Tokyo Toy Show demo. Wonder if he was the only one encountered by Sonic in early Green Hill?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    What the fuck would even happen if you beat that guy, is he gonna crack open like an egg?

7. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    That enemy always reminded me of King Nikochan, from Toriyama's "Dr Slump" manga.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Snowbound

Snowbound

Hmm… Ohshima liked this tweet…
    49202E7C-AA57-4616-B26F-93EDDE22D9BB.jpeg
    https://twitter.com/tsukento/status/1616856584495464449?s=46&t=V_6-rVv9RrTUuzk36N07CA
    … so maybe he was inspired by Dr Slump while working on Twin Stars/Early Sonic.

There’s one more interesting response today:
    D0DD6770-267F-43EA-A481-51305FC4631A.jpeg
    https://twitter.com/naotoohshima/status/1620084295254827010?s=46&t=V_6-rVv9RrTUuzk36N07CA
    If Ohshima understood the question then I think he’s saying that the rabbit concept was inspired by who framed roger rabbit just like Madonna was

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I read his tweet as saying that Sonic's Madonna was based on the real life Madonna rather than Jessica Rabbit.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    If I had a nickel for every time Sonic was with a human chick, I'd have 2 nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

11. Snowbound

Snowbound

Ah I think you’re right

12. YuTwo

YuTwo

It has been exciting to see all this wealth of knowledge get provided by Ohshima this month with the Twin Stars artwork and the name drop of R2 being Dubious Depths/Ridicule Root. I would have expected Ohshima to be unable to provide the name of R2 since he either wouldn’t have wanted to answer anything about R2 at all or that he just would not know that specific piece of information.

Thank you @MasterDreamcaster for being the one to get this very important information out of him!
    A translation for that page in the Twin Stars documents containing the Super Mario World screenshot was provided.
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/tetsu_skytree/status/1619383872395034625

https://archive.ph/ou6oP
    Note: Teresa is the Japanese name of the Boo enemy.
    https://www.mariowiki.com/Boo#Names_in_other_languages

It looks like this translation post didn’t get as much attention though. We gotta keep an eye on this account just in case they will hopefully provide high resolution images of the rest of the pages.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  13. Oh hey, that was a reply to my question! I never use Twitter so I didn’t check the notifications. The text was a bit too low-res in the original image to read.

14. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    I wonder if putting out a bigger sprite than Super Mario World is what inspired them to make something like the ball-and-chain Robotnik boss.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

… and perhaps the final boss of Sonic 2, then Sonic & Knuckles, which was, I think, the biggest boss of any Mega Drive game off the top off my head.

16. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Sonic jumps...
    9dc2707e-873f-49d0-b7a9-f74a81570e53.png
    ...in a similar way in these concept pictures for Sonic 1 and 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

NaotoOhshimaSonic1.png NaotoOhshimaSonic2.png

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  18. Level Zone Act

Level Zone Act

I can't think of any bigger bosses that move around independently of the scrolling. Except maybe Ecco the Dolphin?

If you include stationary, non-aggressive, non-interactive sections of bosses, the final boss of Earthworm Jim comes to mind: Queen Slug-For-A-Butt takes up almost a third of the final level:

EarthwormJim-Buttville-QueenOfButtville.png

But then, if you count that, there are probably lots of other games where bosses merge with the backgrounds and level layouts. (Shmups where you're flying around/through giant spacecraft, for example.) I mean, you could probably even count the whole of Sonic 2's Wing Fortress as one big boss - the laser fight with the different music is just where you finally reach its weak point!

And now we're getting into a philosophical debate about what counts as "part of a boss"... :V

19. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    A few things in this thread stand out to me because I just read this interview with Naoto Ooshima while looking at references for his style vs his crew's touchups.

Both are actually probably correct, he listed Walt Disney and Akira Toriyama as 2 of 5 illustrators he likes. It stands to reason stuff the Disney company produced after the fact is also an influence. Sonic is probably where those influences collide the most.
    Even if that wasn't a conscious influence here, it's at least half-true.

Not sure where I saw the other one, but somewhere he said he didn't have a lot from back then, and I think this is from a habbit he developed that seems to continue to this day:

• Like Like x 1
    • List