don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    And just think, this is apparently the canonical encounter. This is how this fight went down in the new canon.

Also, why the hell is there only one Super Emerald shrine?

EDIT: Also also, he introduces himself... why? We know Knuckles from the start already, are the saying this was literally their first meeting, and not when he clocked Sonic at the start of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, or any of the half dozen times they meet between these points?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Someone show me where it was said that Sonic Prime takes place after Frontiers unless the internet is just lying again.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Look, some random animator had to go out of their way to purposefully recolour Sonic and Knuckles' sprites, construct a layout that was unlike HPZ in S3K and use the S2 "Master Emerald" sprite instead of the S3K one that would more than likely have already been included in the sprite sheet that they were using. It's pretty clear to me that it was a relatively lazy sequence in which no fucks were given for consistency or accuracy. It was all about making it fit it's purpose in Prime and within a very tiny window.

People are putting way too much stock in what the Prime producer said. Its more directly based on the game canon than any other Sonic adaptation we've ever seen, which means that new fans aren't going to be saddled with questions going from one to the other. But it's very blatantly not exactly the same.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  4. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    The shows pacing would be horrible if we just stopped everything we were doing and watched someone play through all of Sonic 3. The sequence is just supposed to give back story in an abridged form for people who may not have context.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Also Flynn not denying it's a single canon and commenting on the series' place on "the timeline", only refraining since spoilers.

2:57

Personally, I want the series as far from the games as possible.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Cause the games have been sooo good... Also Ian Flynn is a troll who likes to lead Sonic fans on whether he knows anything or not.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    It's an AR thing. You run in front of a camera like an idiot and pose with Sonic and at the end they give you a poster. It's the Tyson image without any logos.

My wife dodged the filming portion so I solo'd it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Scans pl0x.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Next time I'm at the office

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lovely art. Would not want to run in front of the camera lol

11. Astro

Astro

All things considered, Sonic Prime wound up a lot better than I was expecting. It's very much a kids show (which uh, yeah it's an IP primarily for kids lmao) but I think it's a better adaptation of the games than Sonic X was or despite my digging of it, the Sonic Boom show. Also props for doing a 'Eggman takes over the world' setting that isn't too off-brand (for my tastes anyway) like SATAM, or too inconsequential like Sonic Forces. New Yolk City looks like Crimson Carnival from Unleashed and I'm all for it, and while goofy as hell the Chaos Council are fun without being too dark or too goofy.

Only real complaints are yeah, the sprite-work flashbacks are a fun idea but look 'off' and some of the cast decisions are slightly odd; did they say why they went with Rouge as the fifth member of Sonic's group and not Cream or someone else? She just seems like a weird pick, though I dig seeing her and Knuckles actually interact properly again in the New Yolk City eps. Also slightly awkward plot elements like the loop-de-loop, or the palmtree, or Green Hill seemingly being the entire world pre-Eggman take over, but at the same time I get writing/production wise having a million different zones/locales from the games would be cumbersome and costly to deal with. I'm fine with just seeing stuff like Emerald Hill/Hidden Palace in small glimpses in the flashbacks, or them not really bothering to go back into SA2's entire elaborate plot for Shadow/Rouge's relation to Sonic/Eggman.

12. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I can just upload the logoless version properly. Just give me a few days, I'll ask Netflix now that the promo is over.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Based Tyson looking out for the little guys

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Frostav

Frostav

My main issue with the sprite flashbacks--and it's minor because these are like, what, two minutes of the whole runtime max--is that the sprites are clearly not the original Genesis ones...but they're NOT altered to resemble the Adventure-era-onward designs of the actual cast? Like they don't resemble them in EITHER way. If you're going to do these sprite things just make them Advance-style (probably the best idea, since there are non-Classic characters who could appear in them) or remain exactly like the genesis. Tails in particular has a bewilderingly amateurish sprite in his flashback.

But as I said these are literally like two minutes total so it's fine :V

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Wait, is Boxer Hockey Tyson Hesse? Huh, neat.

16. RDNexus

RDNexus

Yes, but please try not to swamp him with questions of official matters.
    To not get him into hot water with SEGA due to NDAs and such stuff...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    If you have any pictures from the event those would be great to for an eventual wiki page.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Wasn't planning on it.

19. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029