don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    And here's the reason I use the Japanese for any dedicated lore research. It's a mistranslation.
    [​IMG]
    He's saying エメル, EMERU, Emerl. He's saying "Sonic... Emerl... Battle..." aka he wants to fight Sonic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic Battle's full of little things like that. For instance "A Master Emerald!", instead of "The" as a suggests multiple, and Robotnik says "Um, The Phis were all destroyed. Chaos and Gamma are useless, too." despite Chaos not emerging until after this, when he launches the Death Egg, and most likely referring to Chaos Gamma.

Again, it's why I default to the Japanese script, Localisation is more prone to errors like this.

Doesn't even need Omega, the E-100 series was in Sonic Adventure, Alpha was E-100, then E101-Beta, E-102 Gamma, etcetc.
    Might check the Japanese and see if that's a mistranslation as well, though unlikely.
    Sorry, was getting the line translated:
    [​IMG]
    Japanese is contextual with plurals, think like sheep (a sheep and the sheep), so a robot or robots could apply.

But yeah, in the Japanese, he's still already built them, so we could extend that to be before Sonic Heroes and E-123 Omega, and this was his last attempt at using Emerl before employing the already built E-121 Phi line.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  5. Pengi

Pengi

About the time travel in Sonic 2 and Sonic CD, Yasuhara said that he didn't know Ohshima was also doing time travel in Sonic CD:

(7m 6s)

They're two separate concepts. Sonic 2's time travel would have been story based, something that happens between levels. Sonic CD's time travel is gameplay based, an action the player can perform while playing the game.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Did something happen in 1991-1992 that had time travel, since that's two concepts involving it independently.

Wait... 1991...

[​IMG]

Released August 16th, 1991. A time travel plot involving machines going back in time and a fight over a good or bad future...

7. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

@Rafa Stary beware double posting. You can edit previous posts to add stuff.

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I have to wonder who released however many capsules, and where whatever was in those things ended up.
    If all the Gerald cover up shit ended up on prison Island, it's all gotta be gone now. But if one of them happens to be Emerl, that means either they just never found Emerl or kept him in an entirely different facility that Eggman broke into one day.

So I don't know if I care for that explanation for a second capsule over anything else, including "it's fucking empty", but I also don't know where else Emerl would be. (Eggman's childhood attic?)

10. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Option B: Robotnik still needs to break OUT of Prison Island by the end of that opening level. Shadow just kind of leaves him there while the alarms blare (literally, he's walking away at the end of that cutscene).

Perhaps he decided to check out other things from the ARK on Prison Island since he found Shadow, who just wiped out a G.U.N. mech on his lonesome, and was told there was more power on the ARK. Might as well check whatever else came down, since thus far it's all been good for him.

And there he found Emerl.

12. Pengi

Pengi

You've misunderstood what I said. Sonic CD's time travel is a gameplay feature. Sonic 2's time travel was not going to be a gameplay feature. They're two separate things.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    8:30
    Kyle asked Ian about the rings being only game-mechanic while in the ~canon~ show Sonic Prime we have rings as part of the plot.
    Ian said: "That I'm going to abstain from commenting on at this point".

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'm really intrigued to see what exactly Prime is hiding that's apparently going to make this all make sense, tbh, given that Ian has pretty much said he's not commenting because the series isn't complete yet.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'm not holding my breath, personally. The continuity is... spotty.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yes, we know, but regardless there’s something significant that remains to be seen that ties this to the games, whether it works or not.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    13:03 - in the Encyclo-speed-ia it says that Super Sonic defeated Eggman in Sonic 2, does that mean Sonic canonically defeated the Death Egg Robot as Super Sonic?

Yes... but. Gameplay, clearly you don't, because you never get any rings. But in like every form of media surrounding that scene or something adjacent, you get the Super Sonic fight, and he's clearly Super Sonic when he exits the Death Egg in the good ending. I don't know if the lore team would veto that now or not. So, for the moment, yes, the Encyclo-speed-ia is the canon answer. But as we've established in other episodes, the Encyclo-speed-ia is not necessarily up-to-date because it's printed material. It was accurate at the time of printing, and things have moved on since then. That might get revisited and changed in the future. I don't know.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic the Comic, issue #6. No Super Sonic in sight, despite going through the process of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) a second time. Before that, Super Sonic happened twice, once between the events of the first and second game, when Sonic got doused with Chaos Energy, and once later Tails says he saw when Sonic absorbed too many rings in Issue #7. Considering the Death Egg is intact for Issue #6's events and considering the comic's Super Sonic, he did not attain that form for those events.

Issue #27 shows Sonic running up to the Death Egg Robot, but nothing about Super Sonic.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Comics). When they did the Sonic Quest - The Death Egg Saga, which acted as a weird belated Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) adaptation, he entered Silver Sonic and used that to escape, no Super Sonic in sight for the entire thing.

His adaptation in Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Comics)'s Genesis Wave event is the only one where he turned Super Sonic. This isn't even repeated for the Genesis of a Hero story later, since it doesn't reach that far in the events.

Also, he isn't Super Sonic when leaving the Death Egg. He turns at some point in the space between, but he runs out as regular Sonic.

So no, no it doesn't happen in "every form of media surrounding that scene". It would be great if this guy did some research before making claims like that.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  19. I think you’re taking something he said off the cuff and already prefaced with the modifier “like” far too literally and seriously.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The 'like' only gives a certain amount of leeway.

He said "in like every form of media surrounding that scene or something adjacent, you get the Super Sonic fight,"

It only happened the once, and he was the one who did it. That's not "like every form of media surrounding that scene", that's not even close to every piece of media like he said. It's very nearly the opposite.

Also, have we not learned from Iizuka here? "Off the cuff" remarks can spiral and cause problems, since it's still word from an official source?

Here's an alternate statement that could be used: "Yes, it's how we're envisioning how that scene played out now."