don't click here

SEGA References in pop culture.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Lobotomy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Xilla

Xilla

Final series of Fun House aired between 22 September- 29 December 1999. The recordings took place over 7 days according to Pat Sharp. Assuming there was a few weeks between the first show being recorded and actually aired, we'd be about a month away from the European launch at that point.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Operation "what am I doing with my life"

The first episode of the 11th series of Fun House was broadcast at 16:35. That was a Wednesday.

1999-09-22
    1999-09-29

Then it jumped to Friday at 16:10

1999-10-06
    1999-10-15
    1999-10-22
    1999-10-29
    1999-11-05
    1999-11-12
    1999-11-19
    1999-11-26
    1999-12-03
    1999-12-10

Then because it was the Christmas holidays, CITV moved to a morning slot. I'd have to dig a bit more for those dates, and honestly, I can't be bothered.

Fun fact: there's a good chance I would have seen this live back in the day, because I used to watch CITV after school. And even back then I thought the in-vision continuity was annoying (although Stephen Mulhern (star of stage and screen) has since redeemed himself).

3. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    On the same Mulhern tip, through that I've now managed to end up here:

He's inserted into Sonic Heroes alongside his co-hosts in this promo for the Saturday morning children's programme that he later presented. Despite "spreading the word" they regularly lost to Dick and Dom in viewership figures anyway, and after a short-lived revamp it perhaps unsurprisingly became the last one that ITV ever made altogether.

And semi-related, as the current diet of acquired cartoons was already creeping into their children's output around that time and replacing original programmes like the above - the same channel also has a CITV promo for Sonic X.

4. A pet hate of mine is where you see people say that SONY made gaming cool and looked to appeal to a more mature audience. When SEGA Europe/Mastertronic looked to do that year before SONY with the Cyberazer cut ads, sponsorship of Football, F1 demo pods at the likes of Cathy Dennis concerts and ever appearing on late night adult shows like James Whale

Simon Morris was a huge loss to SEGA Europe when he left to join SONY. Anyway here's SEGA on the James Whale show; GOD I used to love late Friday Nights on ITV

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    This has actually been a requirement for every console since the Dreamcast - even now when writing games for Series X and PS5, you have to take into account that the controller being used isn't necessarily the one that's been assigned "Controller 1". When you have wireless controllers alongside wired controllers, guitar controllers, and whatever other peripherals available you have no idea how the console will assign them.

This is why most games still have a "PRESS START" screen - historically it was arcades being slightly more user-friendly by not starting while you're still faffing about inserting coins, and was retained as it allowed for the attract mode when shown at events and the like. But nowadays? Well, by forcing a specific input you can very easily tell which controller the player is using, and ignore the others. Works for multiplayer too.

6. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

7. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    With how the channel is now, it's easy to forget that ITV2's first few years on-air were very different - putting aside the vast amounts of repeated filler from ITV1, sport, and strange state of affairs that was GMTV2, there was effectively a lot of throwing whatever possible at the wall to see what stuck. But not so many people could watch it yet anyway, so hours of cheap, forgotten content to fill up airtime went out with little notice.

Bedrock, a live youth magazine show, was at first a part of a mixed-genre approach that ITV2 initially went for. It seems to have had a regular video games section, "Games Pad", and because it ran into early 2000, here we have someone from a short-lived C-list boy band playing Crazy Taxi alongside one of the hosts. Said co-host has uploaded multiple full episodes to his channel, though only later episodes will feature any Dreamcast.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I hadn't heard of that one before, thanks for posting. Crazy Taxi released in the UK the day before, so good marketing by whoever was responsible for that.

9. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Are we counting references to Sega media? For example, there are references to the HOTD films. I could add those.

10. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Something incredible funny:
    (6:58)
    Gackt x Open your heart x House of the Dead (and more)

This video is from 1999

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  12. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

13. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

[​IMG]

Manchester United star Jadon Sancho has a Sonic tattoo

14. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I was just looking at the references page, and it seems none of the screenshots have sources. They probably want redoing from lossless blu-ray rips.

Is there a way to take screenshots from 4k HDR video, and would the wiki display them properly if there was? VLC just outputs 24-bit (8bpc) PNGs which loses some of the colour info.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There's a bunch of 48-bit, 1200dpi TIFF cover scans on archive.org. I haven't been touching them because I can't see all of the colours, but if you've got the equipment, uploading one of those might give you a clue as to how Mediawiki will react.

I'm going to guess "badly".

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  17. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    All I've been able to come with is this: Buy a 4k HDR monitor, open a 4k video and press print screen. Then paste into Photoshop or whatever and save as a 48-bit PNG. Mediawiki should be able to handle 48-bit PNGs. Lossless screenshots will need tagging as such.

18. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Another possible method. Create the following batch file and drag & drop a video onto it:

Code (Text):
    1. ffmpeg -ss 00:15:00 -i "%~1" -c:v png -pix_fmt yuv444p10le -frames:v 1 image.png
    It'll create a screenshot at the 15-minute mark as a 48-bit PNG. Unfortunately I don't have an HDR monitor so, while the output PNG file is definitely 48-bit, I can't tell if it saved the colours correctly. It just looks like a darkened 24-bit image to me.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

20. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aero City + Virtua Fighter?