don't click here

Naoto Ohshima's art that inspired Sonic's animations and more...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MasterDreamcaster, Jan 20, 2023.

1. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    Hello, everyone.
    First of all, I would like to thank admins for accepting me.
    Secondly, there are some things that I want to share and topics to discuss.
    Let's start with this art from Naoto Ohshima.
    tumblr_nizrex4Kle1tu022ro2_1280.png Now look at Sonic over there:
    retroarch 2023-01-12 23-08-32-105.png
    It looks like sprites from Sonic 2 (and later in Sonic 3 prototype) were inspired by that picture. More examples can be found in Sonic Mania.
    soniclookup.jpg <--- like when he looks up
    tumblr_nizrgj6IUS1tu022ro1_1280.png <--- or this, at the start of Chemical Plant
    That image went through certain changes. We can trace it's evolution:
    GszM9lW.png

Speaking of evolution. Many levels from Sonic 3 & Knuckles evolved from ideas for Sonic 2. For instance, Mushroom forest, valley, hill:
    IMG_5090.jpg
    20110619_923857.jpg <--- it looks like a sketch for that level
    0169.jpg <--- and what about those pictures in the upper left corner? Well, it's re-coloured Sonic 2 concept art and a new piece, called "Temple in the sky". Probably it's an early version of Sky Sanctuary:
    P1001772.jpg

Interestingly, that drawing features Tails, while most of them are with Sonic alone.
    Sooo, I guess it's quite enough for a first post.
    See you next game!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Pengi

Pengi

Do you have the original source for those photos? Do you know if they're available in a larger resolution?

3. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Most of these pictures originate from different video game news sites that covered Sonic's 20th Anniversary event at Tokyo Joypolis.
    This one, for example: https://www.segaworlditalia.com/speciali/sonic-joypolis-party-20-anniversario/
    It even has two YouTube links (maybe some footage from that event?) but sadly, the access is restricted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks new to me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I've never seen that...

5. I’ve never seen that either. The others that were posted I have, but Sonic chilling on that island is new to me. Wow.

If anyone from Sega’s licensing team sees this - get that on a shirt for a company’s summer collection, or make a line for the Sega Shop.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Sonic literally just took over the crab's island and is taunting him for fun. Sick bastard. How can you support such an act?

7. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    The Temple in The Sky piece is one we've been searching for, for a while. I think we caught a glimpse of it in that MTV special but never something that clean.

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Is it possible someone could ask Naoto for a cleaner image on his twitter? It's a stretch, but it seems like the kind of thing he or someone on the team might be willing to share eventually, given that we now know the original sketches all still exist.

9. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I suppose it's fair to ask if he drew it or someone else did. I'm not convinced that particular piece was his work, but I could be wrong.

10. AlliaTheEchidna

AlliaTheEchidna

Honestly I would wear the ever living crap out of the shirt. It would be one of my favorites to wear when not at work. I mean any of that artwork on a shirt would be amazing

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Can't say I've seen the island picture before but the pose looks familiar.

13. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Absolutely love that piece of sonic on the island, is this also sourced from the same site? How did you come across it and is there any links to who drew it specifically?

14. Snowbound

Snowbound

Man seeing those illustrations with blue text on the forums’ black background reminds me of old fan sites. That’s a compliment btw

15. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    I never in my whole life saw the island picture... but damn I already like it.

16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    there is a tails art similar to that sonic island image. Pose is different, but the idea reminds me of it. Never seen the sonic one before, though.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Found it here: https://inete.targetaffe.xyz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22716
    It has © SEGA 1991, but no specific information on who made the picture.
    I remember having conversations with mister Ohshima on Twitter - about different drawings. Maybe I should ask him?

C8lMgdaV0AE-vQW.jpg
    This one ^ is also his, if I remember correctly.
    df764856-99be-4a6c-805e-048a12f6272b.png
    Served as the basis for Sonic Spinball art.
    244290_sega-mega-drive-classic-collection-gold-edition.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Pengi

Pengi

"Temple in the Sky" is concept art for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. We do know that some Sonic 3 & Knuckles concept art was repurposed from Sonic 2 concept art. But since Ohshima didn't work on Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles, he'd be the wrong person to ask.

That's Ohshima's art for the Japanese Sonic Spinball packaging. Since the game was made entirely in America, which had different packaging art, I'd assume that the title screen was created first.

19. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

"...and more..." in this topic's name means that I'm going to share pictures not only from Ohshima, but from other artists as well. Previously mentioned drawings for Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles were probably made by Hirokazu Yasuhara.
    -----------------------
    And now:
    Tony Takoushi posted some SEGA concept art. Like Sonic Crackers, Triple Trouble, Feel / Ristar-related stuff...
    tonytakoushi-1558707047811.jpg
    tonytakoushi-1584586234808.jpg
    tonytakoushi-1558707074748.jpg
    tonytakoushi-1558629172137.jpg
    tonytakoushi-1558629158845.jpg
    tonytakoushi-1572144736900.jpg
    tonytakoushi-1572144703651.jpg
    tonytakoushi-1570625413368.jpg

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

• Informative Informative x 16
    • Like Like x 8