don't click here

Mega Drive Mini 2 Announced (Includes Mega CD Games)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Ashura96, May 27, 2022.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I know this has been discussed before, but I was pretty sure if you hit the diagonal spring and avoid pressing the D-pad, you can progress. Much like getting to the secret platform at the end of EHZ2. Is there more to this that I don't know?

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I just checked in Kega to be sure and nope. Maybe you're remembering the '96 PC/Gems Collection version, they've repositioned the spring to make the section passable.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Act2 can be beaten in the Past (without glitching through a wall) by running across the top of the ceiling which you can reach high-up right at the start of act2 by using the super peel-out/spin-dash. Unfortunately this technique is no good if you want to destroy the robot generator (to get the good ending) and still beat the stage whilst staying in that time period, because once you destroy the generator you cannot backtrack to the start of the stage in order to reach the ceiling. You would have to get killed after destroying the generator so that you can restart the stage in Past from the beginning and then reach the ceiling.

At least time-travelling to the the present/good future after destroying the generator is pretty straightforward in act2.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  4. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I believe it is absolutely a glitch but tbh I like to think not being able to finish Act 2 in the past is a metaphor. You can't save the world by dwelling on the past, Sonic!

5. Got mine very happy with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Where did you guys get the Mega CD and Super 32X & Knuckles goodies? I got my Genesis Mini 2 but it feels so alone without friends, specially when my Genesis Model 2 I had since a kid is paired with the same SEGA CD Model 2 I had as a kid as well.

7. I got mine from Amazon Jp since Amazon Jp now ship to the UK

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    My Genesis Mini 2 came two days ago and my JP Mega Drive Mini 2 came yesterday.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, mine was from Amazon Japan as well. Had to create an account to do it but the process is largely available in English, it's not complicated. Whether they still HAVE them is an entirely different story!

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    WING☆, the sound programmer behind the new arrangements for the Mega Drive mini has shared some details on how the audio is set up for the new version of Space Harrier 1 and 2.

Also:

I have to say Hiro made an excellent job creating the arrangements for Space Harrier in 1986. The YM2203 only has 3 mono FM channels, so he made the bass PCM to free one of the FMs for more melodic content and it works really well IMO. I've recently rearranged Shining Wind from Outrun 3D into a Space Harrier song a lot of elements had to be rendered using the SSG (square waves) as the Master System FM Unit has more channels than the Space Harrier arcade hardware.

WING☆ reproduced arrangements very well and they sound as faithful as they could be. M2 did a really great job.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Space Harrier 1 and 2 are hard to look at and the sound is worse than the original ones.

But hey, Space Harriet has the Master System boss now.

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'll have to disagree. While Space Harrier 1 does have drawbacks on the PCM/SFX side, Space Harrier 2 is a MAJOR upgrade.

Not only it sounds better but it plays at twice the original framerate (30 vs 60fps) with much better scaling!

You can also activate the "Deflicker" option in the hidden settings menu in both titles to reduce/eliminate the sprite flickering and make them look fantastic.

Space Harrier had the SMS boss since the 3DS release. The Sega Ages version on Switch also does.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

So… who got one, and what do they think of it?

I’m enjoying mine so far, but, and it might be because I recently started playing games on a CRT for the first time in 15+ years, is there a bit of a delay for pressing the buttons or is it no worse than other consoles that have come out before?

Also, did Sonic CD really run like that on a real Mega CD? Some places seem kinda choppy and non-responsive.

14. I mean, I don’t know exactly what you’re referring to since I don’t have a MD2 mini but probably. I only tried Sonic CD on my Mega SD once or twice but it was clearly much jankier than the other MD Sonic games and felt worse than the old PC port of CD, both on the actual PC and on Gems Collection.

Taxman really did us a solid by porting CD. It needed it the most of all the classics by far.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There IS noticible input lag, but apart from that it's decent enough.

16. I'm happy with mind and if you were playing Sonic CD on Pal it was bit choppy. Still its just a novelty item

[​IMG]

17. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Yes, I play Sonic CD on hardware pretty regularly and it is very close if not the same performance.
    As for my enjoyment? I love it. Thunder Force 4 has big slowdown issues and the fast mode definitely helps a lot. Plus there is 2 of Sega's best Genesis era RPG's Shining Force 2 and CD. Mini 1 felt like a greatest hits console, this one feels more like a for Sega fans console which I love.
    I really want a 3rd one with a very small amount of base Mega Drive games I believe they missed putting on these systems, with a larger focus on Sega CD games, and the few 32x games that are worth playing.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm upset that Popful Mail and the Lunar games didn't make the cut. I need a Mini 3 dang it.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Victor wanted too much money from SoJ so the west suffers.

20. MastaSys

MastaSys

It's always a shame when the "no money at all" is picked over "some money and not it all" for us consumers.