don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Yeah hi movie Zeena when

2. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Could you elaborate? I'm curious to hear more about what you like about him and get another perspective.

3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Like outside of his designs and lack of discernable dialogue, he pretty much acts just like you'd expect Eggman to, or going even further, like Robotnik in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. It's an aesthetic choice for comedy, but it's not overplayed to where it could be gross. At least up to this point.

4. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I find Dr. Babble to be one of the more effective villains of the Sonic series because the idea of having to take care of a screaming infant fills me with pure, abject terror.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Frostav

Frostav

Watching this show has been...interesting. I have not watched much TV at all in literally like 8 years. So, I am completely unused to this modern streaming-focused of writing television where seasons are basically 6-10 hour long movies. There are several episodes of this show where Nothing Happens because they know you'll be binging it and thus watching the surrounding episodes that give it context. Like, the two jungle episodes absolutely could have been one. I'm on episode seven right now and unless it drastically changes in the remaining ten minutes, it is so obviously a "fuck, we need to save money for the finale uhhhhhhhhhhh pirates on a massive flat expanse of water with absolutely no waves whatsoever that we can bang out in ten minutes" where nothing happens and like why does this episode exist lmao?

The stuff with New Yoke City is clearly the main focus. These two other alternate dimensions are so superfluous I'm pretty sure they could be cut out? I honestly think this show would be better if it were just 8 episodes of Sonic in NYC (lol) learning about all the alternate versions his friends and foes and digging deeper into the worldbuilding but I understand I am literally just asking for modern SATAM/Archie at that point :V

I feel like there is SO much to be done with that concept that kinda just never happens. Like what if when Nine told Sonic "I don't owe this city anything, it's only brought me pain" Sonic tells him about how in his world Tails saved Station Square, helped defeat the biolizard, mended the world when Eggman broke it...just something to make Nine stop and think about what his world could have been.

Oh my god. Is this show gonna make me write a fix-it fanfic where the whole Sonic cast is in New Yoke City and it's all about Sonic showing them the heroes they could be if their world didn't crush their dreams? It might seriously :V

(inb4 the final episode fixes all my issues lmao)

LMAO OF COURSE the final episode is actually just a massive cliffhanger. Learning after the fact that this is only the first 8 episodes of a 24-episode season makes it more justifiable I GUESS

^^ I actually like the concept of the Chaos Council (well besides Babble). They're all archetypes, but the adult/teen ones are neat twists on Robotnik's core character concept and personality. However the fact that...no other Robotniks exist in any of the worlds is weird. I seriously thought the "monster" in the jungle episodes was going to be some caveman-ish Robotnik with some massive monster as a pet instead of a robot but it's Amy instead??? Huh. That is a missed opportunity if I've seen one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2022
  6. MastaSys

MastaSys

I smirked when Eggman found Babble's idea for Sonic way too extreme for him.

I can see the kids liking him.

7. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Okay, yeah, that made me smirk.
    I think deep down maybe I was expecting an early-era Stewie Griffin type? I dunno. I'm waiting for some kind of translator or "wait! Babbles could talk this whole time?!" moment.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like how Babbles mech is reminiscent of SatAM Robotnik’s outfit too (the lines heading into the center circle design, although white and gold instead of red, yellow and black)

9. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    Yes, I'm one of them. Greetings. She might not be the best, but she's someone I can get by.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Zeena is the only deadly six character I actually like, but that’s partially because there are so few female villains in this series (her, kinda Rouge, and Rusty Rose which was a neat twist).

Eggman doesn’t make woman robots so much for being a feminist :V (Archie had Metal Amy though)

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Apparently, that's a bit of a cultural difference issues: he's more a womanizer...

...which would explain why he took Vanilla that one time...

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    No. None of that. Shame on you.

The version of the story I’ve heard is that neither feminism nor being a womaniser is even mentioned in the JP manual of Heroes.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Regardless of the actual correct translation if that’s even the case, I was just making a joke lol

14. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I watched the first 4 episodes so far and the series is fine but it might not be for me.

It's not a series written for older audiences that a child can still appreciate because it's animated and doesn't go too far. It's a show aimed at children and written for children that I'm trying to enjoy as someone who is in their mid 20's at this point.

I like certain parts of it and the animation is fantastic but the writing is so elementary and hokey and it's not enjoyable for me.

Dr. Deep was a great idea for a character but all his lines are beyond generic and not even generic deep, they do nothing with the idea. Sonic's hokey friendship speeches feel more in place in a 2000's shonen anime than a Sonic cartoon.

And the humor rarely goes beyond baseline funny and never really gets witty or clever.

It's fine but it's written clearly just for the target audience.

ATOSH was super cartoony and I still feel that was easier to swallow as a adult than this because it never talks down to the audience (barring the sonic sez moments you can skip) and wrote something a kid can follow but an adult can REALLY enjoy (like the original LT's actually).

I don't know if I'll be watching anymore but I hope the kids enjoy this.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  15. I just looked. It doesn’t mention anything like that. Though there is a part that says something like, “Deep in his heart, there is a part that doesn’t hate Sonic, and goes out of his way to send him challenge letters.” That’s pretty interesting and isn’t in the English. Though was it not Metal who sent the challenge letter in that game?

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Watched through Sonic Prime the other day. Some thoughts, in no particular order:

• I'm digging the voice cast. If for whatever reason we saw them replace the game cast, I don't think I'd particularly mind, especially for Shadow and Rouge.
    • Fortunately I didn't mind Sonic's demeanor or the storytelling whipping around chronologically. In some ways I even found the latter interesting. I wonder if there was a draft somewhere that + - started with Sonic falling into New Yoke City, given the point of him slowly remembering the events that lead up to it and the prism shattering being a reveal to him   .
    • There's some SOLID action in this. Has any adaptation of Sonic had this many consistently fun action sequences?
    • + - YES to the two Amy's acknowledging each other. More of that, please. Counterparts interacting with each other is a fun staple of multiversal storytelling that certain other SEGA-affiliated properties completely failed to deliver on this year   .
    • This is more or less my first time dealing with Netflix's apparent new habit of releasing episodes in batches, and... I hate it. Weekly episodes or an entire season would both be infinitely preferable.
    All in all, fun stuff so far. Obviously it's not quite some folks' jam but I'm happy to say it's ticking enough of my boxes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'll take a look, I've been told it's in there, but I'll see if it's in another manual or something.

(Man I wish I could read Japanese...)

'twas. Or perhaps Metal Sonic hijacked the plot after he sent the letter?

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Everything in Heroes is Metal Sonic. As for the feminist part, my Heroes manual doesn't mention it and I got the game about a month after it came out on Gamecube so it isn't in the English manual.

Still don't know where people got that from since it always comes to "It's in the Heroes manual!".

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed, it's something that's come out of nowhere. Kinda why I think we need full manual translations...

Had Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog's profiles translated by my friend, the latter in case people were misremembering which manual it was, but nothing there either...

Robotnik's Profiles:

20. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Much like the Japanese "hip" refers to the butt, the Japanese "feminist" does not have the same meaning it has in English. It refers to Eggman's self-proclaimed chivalry, possibly to imply that he might have chauvenistic tendencies.
    It's indeed not mentioned in the Japanese manual of Heroes, but it was mentioned on a Japanese Sonic X website. The bios here are seemingly the basis for the localized manual, as many things seem to line up pretty perfectly. Why they decided to do things this way will forever be a mystery.