don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. MH MD

MH MD

I mean it’s the same? They are dividing episodes into patches for some reason when it’s supposed to be finished production

What they did to JoJo was waaaay worse, that show shouldn’t have gone to Netflix at all, really wanted to watch the last episodes weekly , would have been magical

but they killed the hype really bad, didn’t even release the episodes on JoJo Fridays smh

2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Same. Stone Ocean deserved better

3. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I don't recall Sonic landing on Westside Island in the game either, or even meeting Tails. Or Tails getting bullied.

Sonic X was, at the time, the closest adaptation using the japanese games lore.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Sorry, when I say "in <game name>", I'm usually including the manual since that was where plot information generally comes from for games back then.

Sonic X is, indeed, the most accurate depiction of that first meeting, they even have him mention upgrading the plane to go faster, aka that booster he added.

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    It was shown in the Sonic Origins collection, in the new opening video for Sonic 2.

Anyway it is now officially Thursday, where the heck are the cartoons (or are they waiting for the west coast to catch up to the present day?)

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Netflix always releases new shows at 12AM PST for future reference.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I was talking about the original game.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    First 8 episodes are out.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Pirate Knuckles is named Dredd. I will now call him...DreddKnux! :V

EDIT: Okay, just finished the eight episodes they put out. I genuinely like Sonic Prime.

However, Knuckles and Eggman's voices are truly terrible and it's not helped by the fact that every world Sonic goes to the characters have a different (and good) accent, thus making the voices even worse in comparison.

Also I'm not really digging the structer of the series when we have the flashbacks that happen in the first half of the eight episodes we have so far.

Anyway, with 24 episodes and only 8 put out, expect this to be like JoJo Part 6 and be here the same time (for JoJo it was the same day) next year. Things could always change though.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Prime is good so far. Like, really good. Binged all 8 episodes already. Animation is fantastic, voice work is excellent (mostly) , action is on-point. It feels like the most authentic Sonic TV show we've ever had. But it certainly looks like the budget takes a bit of hit at some points though.

Just FYI, there arent any major plot specific spoilers here, but just a general overview of the premise.

+ - The main setting for the series is New Yolk City, but I'm the first 8 episodes there are two other universes that get a couple of episodes; the jungle universe and the pirates universe. Both of those feel a lot lesser in scope, with minimal characters and environments. New Yolk is incredible though. Tons of detail, tons to enjoy.  

I thought that I'd have trouble vibing with the premise of swapping universes every few episodes. But now that I'm seeing how they've approached that angle, it's a lot better than I had expected it to be.

+ - Constantly getting new versions of established characters could have meant that there'd be very little chance for development. The relationships between characters and the events of each universe might not have been built upon. What they've done though is establish New Yolk as some sort of narrative hub, so the plot keeps returning to that world and those characters. By the time that Sonic explores hits second alternative universe, The Chaos Council and Rusty Rose had begun to travel across the universes as well. Hopefully this means that they'll be able to continue building an actual continuing narrative, rather than recycling the shallow premise of different themed worlds as I had expected.  

The original "Green Hill" world is like a watered down version of the games, purely to set up the show. It's fine. New Yolk City is the meat and potatoes of Prime. They need to focus on it rather than the other alternative worlds.

Gotta emphasise how nice it is to have a Sonic show with action and ah actual plot though. And it's not near just doing the bare minimum. The bar is being set pretty high.

Sonic is the fucking worst though. I actually can't stand him. He's relentlessly annoying. And I really wish he would just shut up. Poor Devon Mack is going to wear out his vocal chords. He spends the entire time acting like a hyperactive child, showboating and quipping about every little thing, and then monologues about friendship to inspire everyone. Sonic's just chronically insufferable here. The plots are very Sonic-centric, rather than being about the rest of cast at all. At most, it's about Sonic helping the other characters to be like their true selves. It's missed potential.

In fact, the characters as a whole a bit off the mark.

+ - Its still strange seeing Rouge as one of the good guys. She's actually alright as a character here, but she's not morally grey or self serving whatsoever. She's also not in the slightest bit interested in gems and treasure. In the New Yolk universe, she's the leader of the resistance, and Knuckles is her second in command. No friction, no selfishness. She's too altruistic. Same in the jungle universe. Anyone worried that she might be neutered is right. Great voice though. She's no Lani Minella, but she's still good. Knuckles is the angry tough guy, and sometimes his voice becomes something of a mobster style (which isn't good). And in the jungle universe he's... Christ, he's Sticks 2.0. Fortunately he only plays a bit part there. His role in the pirate universe is cookie cutter and boring, which is a shame because he's the central alternative character there. Tails, or rather Nine, is rather good. He's very much true to being a twisted, parallel Tails. He's one of the best characters right now. Nothing else to say. Pirate and jungle Tails are forgettable. Amy as Rusty Rose is pretty good. She's a very, very formidable that. She and pirate Amy actually cross paths. I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes, because her first instinct was to call off attacks when she saw her alternate self. Jungle Amy is the central character in that universe, and she's boring. Big exists. He's contributed basically nothing to the show so far. Shadow is the anti-Sonic this time. He barely gets a few minutes screen time, but it's clear he's going to be a bigger player in the plot. Actual spoilers here. Oh and I forgot about the five different Eggman. Yeah, no. They're dry and uninteresting. At least they created a distopian world that feels like something Eggman would create.  

So yeah, Prime is off to a really start. It's not what I expected it to be. Its avoiding some pitfalls that I was worried about, but falling straight into others. Props to the team for creating an authentic Sonic TV show that is very unique for the franchise. The first few episodes are the best so far. And the other good ones are the ones like it. There's a clear divide between the good episodes and the gimmicky, uninteresting ones.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I was actually fine with Rouge being part of the cast once she swooped in and told them about the Paradox Prism, but then that fell apart once she was in that onw flashback about giving Sonic a tree.

It kinda destroyed what they had basically set up and that made me also not buy Rouge being in the other universes as well.

However it seems that the Prism was only broken into four parts from what I could tell so there would only be one world left, though I guess we could go back to the Jungle place for...SOME reason (besides wrapping the shards in something and actually taking them). Though we have no idea if the Grim world has a shard in it or not, though I would guess it does since the other three worlds do.

Other random thoughts:
    Are the background characters taken straight from the Boom series? Because they look like they do, as does Shadow.

Also Nine looks like future Tails from Sonic Epoch to me.

The lighting is FUCKING AMAZING in this show as well.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah, they set up Rouge to be be something like her usual self in that first scene. Seeing that in YouTube a few days ago had me my pretty confident. But that's completely undone by the other universes and the "gift tree" scene. A huge shame. Its still nice to see Rouge as relevant, but I wish that she was more, you know, Rouge.

And because its not a spoiler, yeah the lightning is gorgeous. New Yolk City looks utterly fantastic. I wish that we had human characters as well as the anthros, but considering what we've got... Yeah it's bloody great. An absolute visual treat. It's leagues above Boom and its flat environments with 2D back drops.

13. Yea the backgrounds for this show look genuinely good.

On episode 3 at work atm, but Nine might be my favorite Tails.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Another thought about the pirate place:
    Old crew should have been Chaotix + Ray. Huge missed opportunity there.

At least I got Rusty Rose and Black Rose acknowledging each other's existence like I wanted since Black Rose wasn't even in the background at first when Rusty first appeared.

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Genuinely surprised how good Prime looks and sounds. Must be the Netflix production values.

16. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I won’t lie I was expecting this to be a pretty sub standard kids show but it’s decent so far, I don’t think I’ll ever rewatch it once it’s done but it’s been good for a snow day.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Wait...

I'm confused.

Early reports said 24 episodes. But they only released 8. Is this considered a full season? Will it be an entire year before the next 8 or something crazy?

Seems like a small batch to drop. I almost prefer to just wait.

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Netflix is staggering releases like this lately, for some business reason or another.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    It’s probably an effort to retain subscriptions and a reaction to how well weekly release has worked out for Disney+. Of course there’s the obvious logistical benefits of cutting down on people taking out free trials to binge something as soon as it drops, but I think common wisdom dictates that binging generally prevents media from actually sticking with people and being memorable (which likely feeds into the success of the weekly model), not allowing for communities to really fester with things like week to week discussions and theories (WandaVision in particular was huge for this reason). Depending on how serialised Prime is, it may benefit from being able to marinade in the minds of viewers between each batch, and leaves them wanting more rather than letting them binge as much as they can before getting bored and dropping off.

20. Linkabel

Linkabel

I would recommend watching the episodes now instead of waiting for all the episodes to be available. Netflix judges shows on how well they do during the first days, and then up to a month, to see if it's worth continuing.

(Mentioning this because I've been seeing online that a lot of people are going this route. Just saying that if enough people do this there might not be more Prime if you do end up liking the show)