don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. MH MD

MH MD

1- I mean even if playing cyberspace levels is the preferred way to get keys, if you happened to get on a 2D level, you can just leave it, and find another one that is 3D, they are optional in that way, even if you want to try them all, the actual amount of necessary levels to play to progress through the game is actually small, beat the game and missed like half of them, wasn’t even trying to avoid them or anything

2- I get that those “exploits “ could also work with better controls and nothing would be lost, it would be better in fact, just that I find it curious that they exist in these levels with their different controls,while don’t exist elsewhere, or at least not as effectively

sometimes the techs and exploits is what make certain games so much fun, that’s why Smash Melee is still thriving after 20 years, when it’s main movement tech weren’t even intended, as evidenced by their removal in the subsequent games

at the end of the day, given how Frontiers allows players to break the system to have fun in their own way if they want, I think that’s a net positive, even acknowledging some tech in their official channel like the rail momentum thing

This last video from sakurai is about this subject is a good video and mirrors a lot of my thoughts

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I mean, it was. All Acts 2+ in Unleashed are designed and treated like side levels. Which is fine, as long as they're optional and aren't shoved down your throat like in Colors.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They were like, quasi optional right? Due to medal requirements (that was an awful idea btw). I suppose if you were super thorough in both Act 1s and the hub you could avoid those stages.

4. On the topic of Cyberspace controls, I'm in agreement with most that they are abysmal. I think the most annoying thing about them to me isn't just how it feels like there's constant delay with every action Sonic does, or the shit turning, or the piss poor aerial controls, but that all of those combined with the gimped running speed make Sonic feel the absolute slowest he's ever felt in the series other than 06. At least some of the stages were fun but that's largely thanks to the layout and not the controls themselves.

Add in the fact that most of the reused layouts come from the 3 games in the series focused the most on going fast and chaining together actions to maintain the speed and it's just sad. Some were still alright to play but it was definitely because of the layout.

At least the original levels were a huge step up in terms of enjoyment, being designed completely around the controls helps a lot

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I dunno what y'all talking about, Cyberspace is fine to me.

But I'm cool with being a weirdo :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    We're on Sonic Retro, we're all weirdos

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

1) Let's not get hung up on 2D and 3D. All of cyberspace is bad. To me, it doesn't matter if you only have to play a small number of them. They drag the entire game down and are neither a small proportion of the whole package nor are they side content.

2) What tech exists in cyberspace that doesn't exist elsewhere? Not being facetious; I'm genuinely asking because I do not know.

Tech and exploits can be fun. I get that. But by definition they don't form the basis of a game. And as someone who isn't ever interested in playing a game that way, I want the mechanics of the game to be fun. That's why I can't get behind Cyberspace from your POV.

Get a load of this weirdo.

8. The boost turning in Cyberspace is inexcusably bad, just played 3-1 the Green Forest remake and it’s a struggle to avoid falling off the stage at times because simple turning is near impossible while boosting, what’s the point of it controlling like this? The stage is pretty fun to play around with using tech and skips but if you attempt to play it normally it will beat you over the head with how terrible boost turning is and how slow homing attacks chains are.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Now there’s an objective fact right there :V

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Been listening through the OST on Spotify over the last few days, and it’s definitely great stuff even outside the context of the game. I’m still struggling to find any ear worms I can easily whistle along to, but the leitmotifs scored the soundtrack are really well done, and I do really like the retro styled hacking and pinball themes.

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The OST is great. And so is the Wyvern boss fight.

There's my cheery optimism :V

Bye :V

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Breaking Through It All is a brilliant addition to my gym playlist, as are Undefeatable and Find Your Flame.

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I only really like Breaking Through It All. Mainly because of how well it meshes with the phases of the Wyvern fight. Just me though.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The melody that plays when you collect a bunch of shards during the Starfall events reminds me for some reason of this:

(0:23) It's only the first two notes, but I can't help but hear it! xD

15. MH MD

MH MD

1- I guess it was my assumption based on previous discussions elsewhere that people only have big issues with 2D stages, if you hate all of them , fair enough.
    2-i will just list all the techs:

This one doesn't really work on Open Zones but work fine in cyberspace, because you get magnetized to the ground in open zones, so you will just go down most of the time, outside of objects that are not part of the terrain

This one actually exists in open zones but not as effective, once you unlock max speed you don't need it anyway and won't feel any difference -maybe you still won't feel a difference even with default speed, didn't check-

3D demonstration of the same tech

This one also don't really work in open zones, despite my many attempts -there is however another stomp tech on open zones that used mostly for huge skips for speedrunners, and only works when there are enemies and you use the stomp attack on them, quickly cancelling it, the momentum send you to straight to space, more information here-

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  17. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Wow... That's more than Forces' and Manias' sales across the last 5 years and both of those games were free or on sale half the time. It's insane to me that this game sold so well, even with the boost from the Movies. I'm really happy about this since it means there's probably a guarantee that we'll get more games like Frontiers.

(also inb4 we get 2 hour video essays in 8 years about how good this game is from the little kids who are playing it right now)

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I hate to be anal but Iizuka revealed last year that Colors sold four million across both the Wii and DS, so Colors would be the last game to hit these numbers

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Still lifetime though, and this is a month.

The speed of the sales in particular is what’s impressive. That being said I wonder what Generations sold lifetime, especially considering it costs 6 cents every other week.

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    This bodes even better for Frontiers. Sonic games have very long legs and this game already did a marathon out of the gate.

The revenue is great too, since it's selling for $30-60. And there's a new cartoon around the corner... oh, and it's Christmas time.

It could really hit 6-8 million by the end of its lifetime.