don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

The cyberspace music isn't melodic except for a couple tracks, and usually Sonic music (and music for games like this in general) is melodic and catchy. e.g. Starlight Zone.

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The fact that the game was nominated at all is a win in my book.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    [​IMG]

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    No one will stop talking about it from now on to detract from Sonic fans though. You know this.

5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    WHAT'S ON miHoY'S SERVERS?
    STOP THE STEAL
    STOP COUNTING THE VOTES
    CHINA PUT IN FAKE VOTES
    #SONIC2023
    GENSHIN IMPACT PLAYERS EAT BABIES
    GAME AWARDS ARE BIG BROTHER, JOIN H-ANON
    THERE ARE NO CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS AT TROPICAL RESORT

6. Yup. If there's one thing the Internet loves doing, it's mocking Sonic fans for....anything really.

7. Frostav

Frostav

I have spent the past three hours getting into arguments with Genshin fans. Make it end please

8. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I really wish the architecture was as abstract and bizarre as the monsters are. I love the enemy designs of this game a lot and having an appropriate world to suit them would have made the game's aesthetic be that much stronger. I really loved the opening of this game, waking up on a quiet island with unusual monster designs, and wish the game could have somehow kept that lonely, lost-and-alone feeling the whole game.

9. Don’t worry their FOMO will soon distract them when they’re given the next opportunity to burn their wallet over a 0.3% chance to get the latest generic anime character.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm glad Frontiers lost because it is completely absurd to claim it is game of the year. I mean even if you enjoy the game, come on.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I thought the architecture was pretty out-there. It's all built with the same diagonal brick pattern and weird glowing walls you can stick to. The big mirror web thing and inverted pyramid in Kronos, the giant floating rings and glowing cactus in Ares, the impossibly large floating maze of walls and basalt rock formations in Chaos. Wish the game went even more crazy with that though.

12. corneliab

corneliab

...what? The cyberspace songs are catchy and absolutely melodic. I honestly have NO CLUE where some of you are coming from on the cyberspace music. Absolutely no clue.

13. VenomTH

VenomTH

I was honestly shocked to learn that Frontiers reached Round 3 against the likes of God of War Ragnarök and Elden Ring, it's great that it got this far. I would love to see Frontiers relevant in the industry but we'll probably have to wait a few years until Sonic Team and Sega really work out a great game.

14. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I was foolishly "architecture" in the gamey way. Referring to the environment itself when it was a bit ambiguous in this context. I like the weird jagged structures but wish the terrain were more twisted.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

In my opinion, the terrain in this game is wrong in two different ways.

First, it doesn't look the part of Sonic's world at all. I'm more than happy for Sonic games to tackle realistic themed environments, albeit with more colour saturation and vibrancy than Frontiers went for. It should be more in the vein of Unleashed, where I never once questioned of Sonic belonged next to settings that were basically recreations real world locations like Mykonos, Petra and Angkor Wat. The muted colour palette of Frontiers' Open Zones is what made Sonic and Co look out of place a lot of the time. Sonic characters all have these bright and vivid colours with big, bold details, so juxtaposing them against environments that are photo-realistic with washed out colours didn't look great. The enemies, particularly the Titans, feel a bit off, alien and unsettling in their designs to a fantastic degree however. They contrast with Sonic whilst still maintaining a level of believability that they're in the same world. The environments fail on this front.

And secondly, yep, you said it. The terrain doesn't lend itself to Sonic's movement and abilities at all. It's just as much of a gameplay design issue as it is an artistic one. The landscapes are largely flat and realistic in their features, lacking features that would make you visually associate them with Sonic gameplay. Even the more whimsical parts like the Ancients houses dotted around the giant pyramid on Ouranos are at odds with Sonic's movements. Every time that you try to get Sonic to platform or run up those structures it feels like you're going against the design intentions because of how finicky it all is. The world does not feel like it was designed for a Sonic game. Any and all of that feeling comes from the floating platforms and random Sonic objects dotted around with no rhyme or reason. Couple that with Sonic rarely meshing with the visual design of landscape and it sadly does start to feel very "Sonic in Unreal Engine" and "SEGA hire this man" all too often.

There are just a few areas of the Open Zone that do get it right though. First we have the towers. With their glowing climbable paths and spiralling walkways, they organically look and play like they're from a Sonic game. There's also the one or two floating ruin set pieces on each island, but I'll draw particular mention to the floating tunnels on Ares. Even though it's ultimately the same uninspired and heavily automated/scripted gameplay of Modern Sonic to a fault, for the 30 seconds or so that you're in that area it really feels like the environment was actually built for Sonic. And finally we have the underground paths and temple-like areas on Ares and Chaos. For the best example, head to the underground path that the Death Egg Robot on Chaos exposes. You get these brightly lit tunnels, a huge temple-like open room that lets you platform across beams suspended way above the floor (unfortunately the ground is all flat and there's nothing to be found anyway) and it finishes with an vertical corridor that twists up to the surface. The entire route is made up of the Ancients' architecture, complete with lightly glowing purple/black metal/stone paths and a huge "zAp" mural in the temple room. None of it is perfect, but these few isolated areas are the only times that it feels like Sonic Team came close to understanding how to build a compelling realistic and open world that suited Sonic in any way at all.

16. MH MD

MH MD

I mean the game that won is a 2020 game that somehow got nominated for 2022 GOTY, so it’s also absurd that it won when you think about it :V

17. 1) Its not Game of the Year, its "Player's choice" which is specifically a community driven affair. The actual GOTY at the show was Elden Ring.

2) Genshin Impact is a live service game that continously gets updates. It releasing in 2020 is irrelevant. Mine craft was also one of the final nominations and that's a decade old game.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Genshin is a game that has continually evolving and has a recurrent player base, a completely impossible position for any of the other finalists including Frontiers. I think that games eligible for nomination should need to be new. If a game has been eligible for nomination before, regardless of whether it was nominated, it should fall to a different category.

All that said, lol Frontiers absolutely did not deserve to win. You can tell that Sonic Team tried with this game, and it's undoubtedly better than what the series has dumped out in the last decade besides Mania. You might even love it. But it's got issues from design the execution and certainly hasn't garnered anything like near-universal praise. Even its own fanbase can't decide if its any good or not.

19. Well its a popularity contest at the end of the day in this case.

That said, yea I'm inclined to agree. Sonic fans are so desperate for validation and recognition for this series that they accept anything that's remotely decent despite the flaws.

And don't get me wrong, I do in fact like Frontiers and think it does some things right. But its still a very undercooked game in many areas that just aren't acceptable anymore and I really wish people started understanding that instead of just giving the game a pass because they're desperate.

20. MH MD

MH MD

1- I know it’s player choice, I watched ot live, i just used the term “GOTY” cause it was also the term used in the post i quoted.

2- Yes genshin is a game that is always evolving, it got big Sumeru update this year which is good, however, if someone got problem with Frontiers having a chance of “winning this year against better games cause that would be absurd”, I don’t think Genshin is in position to be considered better than , say, Elden Ring or GoW:R, so I think it’s equally absurd

Not to mention that we know for sure that Frontiers will get a lot of updates next year, so it will continue to evolve, does that mean it should be eligible to be nominated for the GOTY Players choice of 2023 with other new games? I am pretty sure the answer would be “No” from everyone here, and it won’t get actually nominated next year anyway, regardless of this silly drama.

all i am saying is…this is popularity contest at the end of the day, nothing more nothing less, Sonic winning wouldn’t be more absurd or “deserved” than sonic losing it