don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Sometimes I question why I even still bother with these Forums.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Kyro

Kyro

upload_2022-12-8_16-20-45.png

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    tl;dr: Tails being bullied is a past issue not a current problem, Sonic ignored Tails for a few days after first seeing him, and the animation does not cover anything from the manual despite repeated claims it's an abridgement by others.

4. Kyro

Kyro

In seriousness ive actually seen you mention this stuff before, and i think ive even responded to you

Its just a lot and is an incredibly intimidating post

That said, i already know how i feel about it and how you feel about it, we just dint agree and thats cool

Its just a bit long winded

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sorry about that: just getting annoyed by people saying nothing changed, the animation covers the same points as the manual, when clearly they've barely glanced at it since the entire plot changed. So I've put forth all the evidence.

Thank goodness it was just the one cutscene, huh? :eng99:

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

Still awaiting those attempts of yours at revamping Sonic Origins cutscenes...

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Ah, should get on those animatics. I was shifting to that comic, but I'll get on 'em.

8. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yeah @BlackHole, I respect your dedication to the lore a lot and I think it's cool you're so passionate about it but sometimes it does become a little much, aha. I enjoyed reading the post either way, though. I didn't know the Origins cutscenes changed much before, I really did think they were just abridged versions of the manuals.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sorry about that, I do dedicate myself wholeheartedly to something without realising it. Where people are pillow fighting, I'm diving in with war paint and battle axes.

But hey, if I don't care, who will? Everyone has made it clear they are happy to just accept whatever Sammy SEGA puts out.

Oh yeah. None of the cutscenes actually bring anything from the manuals, beyond Amy's tarot cards and Robotnik tricking Knuckles. And there's so much more the plots could have done to establish things better, but you'll see what I mean and how I would've handled things when I get these animatics done.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Just to clarify, I never needed an explanation of the differences, nor did I say there weren't any, just that they don't matter and that getting this inflammatory and obsessive over it is the domain of crazy people. The proclivity to slam anyone who doesn't want to ram the new cutscenes through the garbage disposal into the "will accept whatever slop SEGA feeds them" box is not helping your case.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Nice rewriting history there buddy.

You never said it didn't matter, nor obsessive and inflammatory about being the domain of crazy people, you said "it's barely any different" while I was discussing it being completely different with another user. Oh look, I've evidenced the entire thing is different, nearly the complete opposite.

You also told me I'm out of touch with the writing because of said lack of difference. So now, instead of calling me out of touch, you're calling me crazy. You want to pick an insult and stick with it?

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I said it was barely any different, which is not the same as lacking difference, and importantly, is true even with your overlong explanation. Also, you can be both out-of-touch and crazy, but I didn't actually call you crazy anyway. Hell, even the out-of-touch comment wasn't directed at you specifically.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Ah yes, the both plot and characterisation are completely different, but it's barely any different to the Japanese manual.

Oh, I wasn't disputing the crazy part, I was asking you to stick to one. I'm well aware I'm crazy.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    It really isn't completely different.

But there was no "one" to stick to. Technically neither of my statements are directly pointed at you personally, nor would they be mutually-exclusive even if they were.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Alright, what do they do the same, plot and characterisation-wise?

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Most things? It's like trying to examine the intricate distinctions between "Good day to you" and "How do you do", or indeed my original comparison, Sonic's quill length. Yes, it's not literally the same, but the overall importance and effect is largely unchanged (you inventing a new shallow personality for Sonic to be contradicting is the best proof of this). It's not an argument I'm really interested in LARPing with you, sorry.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So basically, you can't actually point to anything and are trying to move those goalposts as far as possible.

Meh, at this point you're not worth the argument.

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    You aren't entitled to a debate, nor are you giving the impression of someone who would actually accept anything I say. It's just not that big a deal whether Tails was bullied "when he was little" when he still is. I'm very sorry for not spewing pages upon pages of response when a post from a self-described crazy person needing to get as granular as it does to even have a shred of evidence kind of does it for me. You're the one @'ing me in a thread when I didn't ask for it, shouldn't the burden of proof be on you to describe how Sonic "aloof" and Sonic caring about something are apparently radically-different and mutually-incompatible interpretations of the character?

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Says the self-described "Professional Internet asshole".

Ah yes, the words of the story, completely worthless in a discussion about the story.

You're the one who injected yourself into the discussion between myself and Sneekie over on the Sonic Prime thread, in order to tell me there was no difference between the Manual story and the animation's story and that I'm "out of touch" for thinking so. I've supplied evidence that there is a massive difference in both, and now you're throwing a fit because you can't actually provide any counterpoints and are acting indignant about it. I @'d you to address your statement here, in the actually relevant thread, instead of causing issues over in that one.

aloof
    /əˈluːf/
    adjective
    1. not friendly or forthcoming; cool and distant.
      "they were courteous but faintly aloof"
    Sonic, seeing a fox child, ignores him completely and lets him do whatever. He's not friendly to the child, nor approaches the child to make sure he isn't lost, since he's following Sonic around. Sounds not friendly nor forthcoming to me.

But like you said, I'm not entitled to a debate, so feel free to leave the discussion. I'm not the one keeping you here.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Am I failing to meet the standard I've set? If so, I suppose you have bested me in one way.
    When it comes down to proving the significance or importance of a thing, yeah.
    No I didn't. Please, you've proven your capacity for semantic nitpicking, so you should really know better than to think this could pass off for an honest account of my initial post.
    Not really. You have made the case that there is some difference, a thing I never denied. I only said "it's barely any different", and "barely any different" is exactly how I'd describe the JP manual and it's lasting effect on the series. You haven't done anything to show what's actually significant about any of this.
    Hey, lucky you! He doesn't do that in Origins either, so there really isn't much difference.
    But you are the one complaining that I'm not meeting your standard for discussion, so I guess I'll do the courteous thing and continue to bless you with my presence.