don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Holy shit this caught me off guard, consider me hyped. I adored the base game so I can't wait for all this stuff to come out, especially the third update. Also I like how they use the term 'update' and not 'DLC', I'd gladly pay for this stuff but it might be free! I'm so excited.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I really can’t wait to play as Knuckles in particular he seems really suited for this gameplay.

Also that’s a classy move, this is all free? Some of it, yea like photo mode that’s not worth paying for but I’d pay for the characters and the new story. Speaking of photo mode though, I wonder if as a result they’ll try to fix the pop in. And sure enough it’s likely a hedgehog engine issue, I’m playing Generations and it’s equally bad but not as noticeable due to the more linear levels and creative camera angles.

… this is coming from the same company that charged money so you could zoom in on 3D island dioramas in Origins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I hope the programmers they've been looking to hire can also push out the object pop-in as well for these updates.

Glad there's more planned for this game. I hope this roadmap isn't unreasonable, considering what was able to get out the door for the original release.

4. Yeah I remembered about Black Knight but i didn't really count it since its a spinoff imo

Regardless its still a really really long time

Edit: lmao wtf happened

Edit2: this is why mobile sucks

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    3000+ IQ move from SEGA making bonus characters a post launch feature. We don't have to read reviews that put in the "Sonic's shitty friends" negative bullet point along with classics such as "rough transition to 3D", "Sonic 06" and "Sonic...on a Nintendo console?!"

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can’t believe we’re still hearing about 06 and Sonic’s shitty friends, Like 75% of this games audience wasn’t even alive when 06 came out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Snowbound

Snowbound

After the debacle that was Colors Ultimate and Origins this is a shockingly classy move from Sega. This much free content is greatly appreciated. I mean I’m not suprised the first two updates are free but FREE NEW CHARACTERS!? Man I just hope they have new abilities and aren’t just skins. Honestly tho I’m optimistic and happy that Sonic Team is getting the chance to complete their vision.

edit:
    ALL these updates are 100% free https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1598007878870106112?s=46&t=IIr5pxk3q_CxjgPKE3Z5cw

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Jason

Jason

Meanwhile a good chunk of us are in our 30s, and I've seen debate on quill length, iris color, and tree detail go on for pages and pages here.

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

Yeah grow up guys, size… erm… quill size doesn’t matter :p

10. Speaking purely from a cynical perspective; the characters are probably just reskins in Cyberspace.

11. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Oh, they plan to finish the game? Cool. Multiple playable characters is certainly very unexpected, and since it's saying "playable characters & new story" I assume it's going to add gameplay sections to that part of the story that felt rushed.

I certainly felt excited reading it but I'll dial back my excitement until I actually know what it entails.

12. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I wasn't, lmao. Game came out before i was born and we're still feeling it's repercussions :V

13. Jason

Jason

I could see that being the case, but it's more than we've had in over a decade for these characters. Mods would take care of the rest if Sonic Team drops that ball.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    See, I don't get the impression that "new characters and story" are separate. I'm betting on each character being a mini-story, probably set on the islands but maybe with some remixed objects and challenges (new cyber levels?), and maybe each character on a different island than where they were in the game (e.g. Knuckles on Kronos, Tails on Ares, Amy on Chaos). I doubt they're shoving anything into the main campaign that wasn't already there.

Though that said, I guess both could be true. Maybe this is what they did with all the empty space on Rhea.

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I easily see an Episode Shadow where Tails, Knuckles, and Amy get exclusive but remixed levels while also being playable in the main game.

The latter depends on how differently they play from Sonic.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I could see the classic approach working here, where they all have the same core moves except they all have something else over the drop dash, like Knuckles could glide and climb, Tails could fly, and idk what Amy would do some kinda hammer thing (Boom gave her a triple jump I think?). I’d expect they’d all retain the boost and homing attack, although I can see the former move being nerfed (no infinite or power boost).

If Sage is playable which I doubt, closest gameplay I can imagine would be Silver’s

I’m kinda curious since they all curl in a ball now like the classics, will Tails have his tails behind the jump ball? That’d be cute.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, they should probably have paced each character out through the year? I can't imagine why they wouldn't beef the first two updates up a bit when the third one is this wild, unless "New Koco" has some important hidden meaning I'm not seeing.

18. We just had Tails and Knuckles playable in Mania.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ even Mania is 5 years old now, but while true it’s been a long time in the 3D space.
    Idk, save the best for last? Maybe those just involve the most effort and they want to take their time? Who’s to say how far in they are with this currently, or if this content was even planned initially or if they just threw this all together because reception has been good enough to justify this.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Probably because it's one collective story in which you get to play as the new characters, and it may not be all that long. I'm guessing it's the sort of thing that can't really be divvied up without suffering for it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022