don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    HE DID THE THING!!!!!!!!!!! 10/10 GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's literally not the Adventure pose are you even a Sonic fan

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

So I got this off Amazon yesterday for £28 (down from £56), and it arrived today. I’ve so far spent 50 minutes with the game, with half of that being on the initial GHZ level getting an S Rank. I’ve just gotten the first Chaos Emerald, and then decided to quit for the night.

Impressions so far? Eh, it’s alright.

So far I feel that there’s just odd design choices holding it back.

Firstly, do I really have to pick up or see an item and then have the game tell me ALL about it? If I see some buttons on the floor, I’m going to press them, I don’t need a cutscene telling me, and then showing me, to look at them. If I defeat an enemy and they drop a token, I don’t need to be told everything about it THAT VERY SECOND. The design of the game so far seems counter-intuitive to what the game wants to be - a free exploration open world.

I’m already not a fan of the combat for the smaller enemies, it just seems like button mashing and then dashing away behind being hit, though I liked the first boss and the CD style trail move.

At one point I saw a loop in the environment and assumed it was meant to be run up to do a challenge or something, but the game flew me into the direction of the sea behind in a way that revealed oddities in the physics.

I sat for 10 seconds in another instance thinking “why is Sonic just standing there? Why doesn’t that woman just say the next line?” before realising that I had to progress by pressing X in what I assumed was a cutscene.

At another point I had a pop up message telling me about these koroks creatures that I had just encountered, telling me that I could return them to their elder, but… I hadn’t even seen them. Didn’t even realise I’d picked one up. That was odd.

On the plus side, Sonic seems to be the most likeable he’s been since… he was silent in the Advance games, and the graphics seems mostly nice. The controls also feel responsive and I haven’t yet cringed at the music, voice acting, or a cutscene. So far I like the artistic style, though I guess it’s hard not to when 99% of the aesthetic and format has been lifted straight from Breath of the Wild.

I’m kinda looking forward to playing it again somewhat. Now I think I’ve gotten what I assume is the tutorial out of the way, I hope the game opens up a bit more and stops chucking stuff at me and making me mash buttons.

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    its close enough ok

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I want to make some sort of joke about people always settling for "close enough" in this franchise and that's what led to Sonic 4 and the like.

But I also want to make it abundantly clear that I'm just joking and neither this post nor the previous one was even the slightest bit serious, and if I continue playing around then I'm sure it'll be taken the wrong way.

6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Settling for close enough is why we got Sonic Frontiers and not Sonic Adventure 3.

Shaking my SMH head.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And yet I liked this more than I’d prob like an Adventure 3 lol

8. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member

That dog... is... is Sega returning to form?

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow the 3D blast SEGA scream, it’s been quite a while (and anytime I don’t see that eyeball is a plus idk wtf that is)

Also I’m getting Japanese Sonic 3 ad vibes hard from this ad

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world who actually likes that SEGA eyeball logo thing, it reminds me of weird early 2000's game ads lol

anyways I just watched a speedrun where this person finished the game in just over an hour and it's pretty crazy

There's this trick where if you lock onto an enemy -> dodge roll -> stomp and air dash immediately after, Sonic will go flying into the sky and you can use this to go out of bounds. I tried it out and it's surprisingly easy to pull off! You can access all of Rhea Island from Kronos and vice versa.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  11. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Getting high enough is a specific timing window but just launching yourself is pretty easy. I use it to get to bosses early. I can beat the game in around 3-4 hours now. You don’t even need to do it on the second island because they forgot to put invisible walls around the boss arena.
    :thumbsup:

12. Lambda

Lambda

Yeah, it certainly opens up. You're just in the linear tutorial area. It gets significantly less hand-holdy once you finish the tutorial.

13. Yeah, it’s super easy to accidentally end up in there. I did it on my second playthrough while messing around with the rails. Had to back out to an old save from the title screen though which was annoying.

14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Is it just me, or does the TSR render of Shadow look normal amongst the new Frontiers renders of the cast. All they have to do is touch it up a bit and it would fit with the rest, to me at least.
    [​IMG]

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    That’s because, like the Sonic Frontiers renders, “grim and serious” is Shadow’s default state of existence! :eng99:

16. VenomTH

VenomTH

It looks like Sega is marketing Frontiers fairly more than usual. Is Frontiers overperforming in sales?

17. I don’t think we’ll have actual numbers for a bit beyond the Japanese physical sales. SteamSpy says 100-200k which seems about right considering the demographics. I imagine the next month will generate a lot of sales across all platforms. I’d expect Sega Sammy’s EOY report to say something akin to, “Exceeded 1/2/3 million sales,” or whatever if it hits those milestones but they generally don’t give exact numbers.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Trippled

Trippled

I'm actually interrested in the next investors call when they ask Sega about how they feel about the review scores not being as high as they perhaps hoped. A "players enjoyed it, its a new formula, we want to stick with it, support it long time etc." response, is ideal imo

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A lot of the score dings were due to technical jank I feel like though and that’s fixed just by, well being more competent and having more of a budget. This seems to be the type of game where they’d be like “ok it got a lot of buzz, people seemed to enjoy it overall, it was a new direction and development included a lot of trial and error. So make a sequel and here’s a better budget and more people since maybe this division isn’t a legacy lost cause anymore.” (I feel like Sega wrote off Sonic for the better part of the 2010s but they couldn’t just not make those games since Sonic’s their mascot. If the title of the game wasn’t “Yakuza” they didn’t feel assed enough to properly invest)

Maybe it’s time to make a Hedgehog Engine 3 Sega the pop in and shadows were pretty dreadful. Plus it’s about that time anyway right? Hedgehog Engine 1 lasted from 2008 to 2013, HE2 from like 2015 to now, by the time the next 3D Sonic comes out this iteration will be 10 years old.

Also anyone notice how weirdly this game handles water reflections? Idk how to describe it but if Sonic stands in front of water things can look weird.

But anyways yea if we got a Frontiers 2 that had more organic environments and platforming challenges, less clipping, less physics jank, more creative puzzles or at least more variety, less pop in, and just further refinements to the formula you might have a 10/10. But even Sega must be thinking this game did well because they wouldn’t have greenlit an accolades trailer if they didn’t. But Frontiers 2 would already be off to a better start since they have the base figured out, unlike before where they hacked and slashed Forces to get to here.

Keep the music direction for the sequel though this game’s soundtrack is simply amazing

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  20. MH MD

MH MD

The game is now on sale on PSN, it’s $40, this sale will go for a week