don't click here

Question about enabling dev mode in Sonic Pocket Adventure

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by celebi23, Nov 19, 2022.

1. celebi23

celebi23

So, I've been trying to figure out what exactly I need to edit in a Hex Editor to enable the Dev mode in Sonic Pocket Adventure. Might anyone have a step-by-step guide of what offset to jump to and exactly what I need to change/edit? Thanks!

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    If you can't use a hex editor just load the ROM in Neopop emulator.
    Neopop ignores whatever is on that byte and runs the ROM in developer mode from the start.

3. celebi23

celebi23

I can use a hex editor but, I'm a tiny bit confused as to what exactly I need to change/edit. I'm on a Mac so, I've been using the Ares emulator. If someone could tell me exactly what to change, and at what offset, that would be amazing :) .

4. This does not answer the question OP asked at all. They didn't ask for what - among multiple - emulator to run the game in to enable the Debug mode, they asked the more specific question of what address to change to enable it. On top of that, per the post I quoted below this "fix" does not even work as of just over a decade ago.

From this old post, it looks like you need to change byte 0x1F of the ROM to 0xFF

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    If you had read OP's post you'd see there's a link in it. If you click the link, you'll see this in the first paragraph:

OP didn't understand the instructions so I suggested NeoPop as an alternative. Repeating the same text OP's already read is useless.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  6. celebi23

celebi23

I'm sorry if I wasn't being clear. I've tried following the instructions on the Dev mode page. I can't get that mode to trigger when pressing the option key on the Sega screen. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm using the Ares emulator.

I have no problem triggering the dev mode menu in the 1999-10-22 Beta so, I don't think it's an issue with Ares. Might anyone be able to create a quick patch file to enable the dev mode in the final game?

If not, could someone take a screenshot showing what exactly you need to edit, and where, in a hex edit program?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!