don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    It seems to me at least that Sonic created the Shatterverse by breaking the Paradox Prism. It affected everyone in the cave but himself. Not sure why there are alternate Bigs tho. Maybe he was there too hiding.

2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    It's Big, you don't question how he got there, he's just there

3. *Yawn* Yup, I yawned you, Sonic Prime.

/s

This probably isn’t going to be for me. The English voices aren’t bad though and the JP ones sound great as always. The series has such great potential to tell stories within its normal continuity, so I don’t get why we needed to hop on a multiverse trend. This looks like it’s just going to be any old kids show with Sonic thrown in for flavor.

I’d much prefer another attempt by Sega at an anime. For all of its issues, Sonic X actually seemed to be pretty accurate to the games in terms of characterizations.

4. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I for one am loving this voice acting. It's especially a breath of fresh air coming off the mediocre mess of Frontiers. Sonic actually sounds like himself again.

5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It still looks okay, but it's still pretty generic. Like, You need a resistance world, a pirate world and a prehistoric world because of course.

I'm looking forward to the new voices. Sonic sounds pretty good, Eggman is okay I guess. I'd like to hear Shadow more.

I'm still hoping for Sonic to jump through other sonic franchises; Aosth, SATAM, underground, X, boom etc.
    It likely won't happen, but it's just a missed opportunity to make a show about other dimensions and not using years of established alternate continuities to somehow celebrate it.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Eeeeeeeeh. Most of the cast are jerks, especially that time they stole the Master Emerald from Knuckles instead of simply, y'know, asking him.
    Sonic's got severe aquaphobia despite relaxing and running around water often.
    Amy lost most of her good characteristics, and she was pretty much worthless in the Sonic Adventure 2 arc (Sonic breaks out of prison on his own, instead of Amy releasing him, Chris replaced her for the Shadow story, etc).
    Knuckles became the butt of jokes (so kinda how he developed into, I guess).
    And so on...

7. Well, I must admit I haven’t watched Sonic X since it originally aired as a kid which is why I slipped “seemed” into there lol. Even then, I don’t think I made it to the SA arc before it changed time slots and I couldn’t find it anymore. I’ll have to give it full watch once that new Blu-ray with the Japanese audio comes out. I do vaguely remember the aquaphobia now that you mention it and it was strange.

8. Sonic X embodied a lot of Anime tropes of that time period.

So Amy was an over the top Tsundere

Knuckles was initially a stoic esc rival until Shadow showed up, at which point he became a inept brute. Etc etc.

But that's Essentially what the games were at the time so it basically was in line with what the games were doing.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Sonic's voice sounds good, and the guy acting him is clearly super psyched for this and you can tell. Tails sounds fine. I can't really tell with Knuckles or Shadow, but current game Shadow/Boom Shadows was never my favorite voice for him anyway. Not a fan of how much Prime Eggman just sounds like he's trying to imitate Pollock, rather than making it his own thing, but whatevs.

10. Turbohog

Turbohog

Technically it's an imitation of Pollock's imitation of Bristow.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I don't care how good the voice cast in Prime turns out to be, even if I end up preferring some of them to the game cast. And so far it looks like a very decent cast that they've got for Prime. I know why it has to be that case for Boom as a Canadian production, but that doesn't mean that it's suddenly not going to bother me. The problem is just the division. Like with X in the 2000s, the new cast here in Prime just divvies up the brand recognition. Everyone's going to have 2 to 3 voice actors at once across the movies, games and Prime depending on where they appear, and that's just a lot to get used to.

Eggman has had the same VA for almost 20 years now. Sonic, Amy, Rouge and Shadow have had their roles for over 10. Even though Tails' VA did technically change in 2014, the current VA is similar enough that a lot of people didn't notice the change and she's even kept the role for the movies, maintaining a big of consistency where it was lost for Sonic and Knuckles. Knuckles is the only one of main cast to recently undergo a big change in game voice actors. Big has flip-flopped between two voice actors since X, but his appearances have been very sporadic so it's hard to really consider him.

Prime looks like it's gonna be a good time. I'm excited to watch it. Just wish that it didn't come with the caveat of having to get to know the characters again. I've appreciated the relative consistency we've had in the voice actors since 2010. There have been changes, but not really amongst the main regular cast where it matters most (apart from Knuckles).

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    She was also already part of the Sonic cast as well.

13. Superior Japanese voice acting, never change unless death is involved.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Or a major crime, like drugs trafficking or worse.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Huh, dubs vs subs comments in the year of our lord 2022. I’m not liking what I’m hearing of Prime’s script and cast so far, but I really wish people would stop trying to frame this as English dubs just being inherently worse. Not only does it drown out earnest critique, it’s an insult to the countless amazing dubbing companies, voice actors and the work they’ve produced.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    JP is the dub though. :V

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Alright smartarse, you know what I meant :v

18. They’re not inherently worse, but they almost always are. Even if it’s not a universal rule, the difference in prestige the industry as a whole holds inside and outside Japan does tend to be a contributing factor to the lesser quality of English VAs. So even in a case like this or Frontiers, where English is the original, having a consistent voice cast who is experienced and well loved in the roles we know will probably make a lot of people prefer that.

19. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Just going by the trailer, I think the cast is great. But Sonic's yawning line is so cringe it hurts. I hope there aren't too many terrible quips like that.

The animation is what gets me. This show looks so weird. The way the characters move seems all over the place, with way too much stretching in some instances.

20. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List