don't click here

Wikipedia considers 3D Blast a mainline Sonic game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TomGyroid, Nov 17, 2022.

1. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

It's odd that Wikipedia still defines 3D Blast as a main game of the series and refuses to change it. It's a spin-off; nobody is forced to talk about it when going over Sonic's history of games, it goes S3&K then Adventure, it's not part of Sonic Origins alongside other mainline Mega Drive games... You'd think they'd not want to spread misinformation with their focus on citable sources and all.
    Unless... Is it actually considered a mainline entry nowadays? Or is that just historical revisionism? Because no one identifies the Sega Saturn as having a mainline Sonic game and that being it after all these years.
    EDIT: Also, Sonic 1, 2, Chaos and even Blast were all technically console platformer instalments too, are those any different from 3D Blast?

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island I've always considered a mainline title - it doesn't explicitly clash with anything, it wasn't out at the same time as another higher profile game, and it has music referenced in later titles (i.e. Sonic Team staff worked on it). What's the issue?

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Welcome to the internet.

Perhaps detach yourself from the concept of "mainline" vs. "spin-off" releases - they're all just games in a franchise. Some are connected, most aren't.

The Sonic Retro wiki treats all games as equals. Or at least it should do.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Taylor

Taylor

Not to mention, I think the concept of "mainline" in gaming is relatively recent. Sega tried to advertise Spinball as a big, 1993 Christmas seller, something you would associate with a "mainline" title which...yea :V. Most people would consider Sonic CD to be the mainline title of 1993.

Related, a fascinating video on the subject when it comes to Mario:

5. Wildcat

Wildcat

I consider it mainline. I mean why would I ignore it?

I know the term “mainline” is thought of as a core release but every game should be viewed as a part of a series no matter how spin-off-ish it seems.

I don’t remember how 3D Blast was marketed but Sonic shouldn’t acknowledge Flicky Island?

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I believe it's generally seen as a spin-off because of the isometric gameplay, Flicky collecting, and the fact it's never referenced by Sega or the games, unlike "mainline" games like S3K, Heroes or '06.

As for its music, I recall Senoue saying that he recycled it because Japan didn't get the MD version, so he felt his compositions were being wasted. Its status as mainline or spin-off didn't figure into his decision.

So basically, what you people are saying is that the Wikipedia Sonic template should be edited to remove the distinction between mainline and spin-offs?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  7. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    There are 3 definitions of mainline I consider:

- that a game belongs to a particular "main" canon (I don't see any evidence internal or otherwise that 3D Blast is outside that canon)

- that a game plays like the other mainly publicized ones and thus isn't a spin off (sure 3D Blast introduces isometric gameplay and the flickies mechanic but otherwise it plays like any other classic Sonic game - reach the end, collect the emeralds in special stages, there's zones split up in acts and bosses, and the music rules are just like the first games).

and

- that a game isn't publicized along the other games or is an alternative (Chaotix is a clear example of this although it could perfectly be or have been canon)

8. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Don't know why Flickie's Island would go against the canon, so I consider it canon

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

It has talking Flickies :V

11. Impish

Impish

Definitely always considered 3D Blast: Flickies' Island to be a mainline Sonic game, in someways moreso than CD. It was released on Sega's most powerful platform at the time, which is why I generally discount the SMS games.

12. Londinium

Londinium

Make that canon!

13. Wasn't 3D Blast a celebration of 5th anniversary of the franchise?

14. Londinium

Londinium

Yeah, but there wasn't much fanfare for the 5th anniversary, was there?

Though it's funny to imagine if there was: 'As the century goes forward, so will we!'

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

Ever since I came to know of the meaning of canon, mainline and spin-off, I always considered 3D Blast as one of the spin-offs.

I'm also on the "S1-CD-2-3K-SA1&2->" bandwagon, so... ^^"

16. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    id say it counts

17. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Wikipedia promotes misinformation all the time, so I don't think they're as concerned with that as you believe.

With that said, I'd much rather use the Retro wiki for reliable Sonic information. It's specifically tailored and cared for by fans who know the series very well.

Moreover, I have never considered it a spinoff. Spinball... sure. But not 3D Blast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yes and you’re gonna have to live with it

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I was thinking while reading over this thread, by not considering 3D Blast mainline due to being very different, that technically could imply that Lost World isn't mainline either because it's also very different than the games that came before and after, just like 3D Blast. Just something to consider.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think it makes sense for the games we call mainline to be specifically Sonic platformers. This does end up including some of the game gear titles, but so be it. The question then becomes whether 3D Blast is a platformer (you only literally platform like twice and it fucking blows), and whether Chaotix and Shadow count as Sonic despite him not being in them, or whether Sonic Boom counts since it's a spinoff continuity that is also both Sonic and Platformer.

Personally, I think everything I've mentioned except Boom is fair game, though that's mostly because I can't figure out a way to count Shadow without counting Chaotix, even though I'm not really comfortable with calling Chaotix mainline.