don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @Shaddy the guy Can you quantify the differences between Showin’s mod and Beatz’s? I have Beatz’s installed but honestly it doesn’t feel satisfying in cyberspace, probably because I’m blowing over everything easily.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Its both. And I can only speculate, but I think it might even be worse for some dedicated fans than it is for more casual players. Generations' Modern Green Hill has been separated into two levels in Frontiers, and given generic number-number names. How am I supposed to separate them in my mind? If I didn't already know Generations Green Hill from the inside out, I might have a marginally better time. The level images used in the selection screen in Arcade Mode is a joke too. You legitimately cannot tell one Green Hill from the 7 or 8 other ones in the game.

The more I look at Frontiers, the more I question its design choices. I honestly like the game. It's kinda fun, you know? But it's riddled with such a wide range of design choices both bad and baffling. Like the way that their approach to the open zone was seemingly to create beautiful landscapes first and then litter them objects later to make a game. There's no harmony between the open zone and platforming. It's just as bad when you look at the hallway design of Forces, Colours, List World and Cyberspace.

Sonic Team just haven't learned much in their time developing this game. Just cause Frontiers turned out better than other games doesn't really mean that I have faith they their moving in the right direction.

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I can't guarantee that you won't still be doing that, but the main reason I prefer Showin's is because the boost turning in Beatz's is apparently supposed to change depending on your speed, and...honestly, other than the mildest of differences, I think I'm kinda done with the "Sonic should be looser as he gets faster" approach, especially after how good the open zones feel. The air control is also "better" in that I don't feel any stiffness when trying to turn around (especially in 2D) but brings the problem that Sonic will jitter back and forth in midair since he doesn't lose a lot of speed. Also, I think showin forgot to turn off the delay on specifically the 2D homing attack compared to beatz.

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Did anyone else find it lame how Vandalise was wasted as a credits song?

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think it's fine as a credits song, but it would have been nice hear it in some cutscenes. My problem with it is that you're actually not supposed to hear it at all in the game, despite the fact that it's the best vocal track there is in offer. It only plays if you don't fight the true final boss. That's criminal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Taylor

Taylor

its incredibly funny that you could read "Vandalize" as kinda sorta referring to Eggman losing Sage considering the actual meaning of the uncensored song

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I for one was glad to not have to hear the song at all while playing. :V

8. I liked One Way Dream more anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    It would've been better if they didn't have Sage say anything after she blew up the moon. Keep it more on the ambiguous side than telling the audience that was supposed to be a massive sacrifice.

Though, I guess Eggman's reaction would also imply that Sage "died", so I'm not sure how they could have rewritten it to be more smooth, lol.

10. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I loved the game. Great music, a very interesting story, nice character development. I really love the open zone, it suits a character like Sonic who's eager for freedom and exploration (even though I'd love to play as Knuckles and explore those ruins, a bit like in the animated prologue). The pop up is not looking good, but... the game is still fun to me. I've played 30 hours now and 100%ed the first 4 islands (even if the 4th one is a bit of a waste, but offers a nice platforming challenge)

BUT ! The cyberspace levels are hit and miss. I don't know why, but Sonic feels slow in the 2D segments. And his air movement is a bit stiff ? I died many times because he wouldn't move correctly. Even in 3D, the controls feel a bit off. I feel like they did a better job in Unleashed than here.

I can't say much about the English voice acting as I play with the French dub, and it's really good, especially Sonic and Eggman.

For me, it's a 8/10. It could have been more with maybe one more island, better cyberspace controls and a bit more content. I'd also like to fight the titans again, and have maybe some bonus (like the concept-art in Generations, cutscene theater...)

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh for those playing on the PC version who want to play the titan bosses again, here’s this mod: https://gamebanana.com/mods/412118

Boss Select! Really they just made save files right before the bosses and renamed the files to say “Boss” and changed some pictures, but hey if it works it works

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Flare

Flare

Dunno if it was just me, but...
    I thought of Monster's Inc. where they rebuild the door at the end and you hear 'Kitty'. I liked it personally because I quite like the character dynamic they have and wouldn't mind her coming back.
    . That said, the story starts off stronger than it ends. After Island 3... the game starts to feel rushed.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG]
    LFG!!!!!!

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I just want to say that even though Rhea seems a bit on the cheaper side, I appreciate that it's at least the part of the island we didn't get to explore on Kronos, and I really enjoyed the paths to the tops of each tower. It was a nice platforming gauntlet on the way to the final island, and I've already gone back to just travel across all the towers again (and drown in the ruins south of the last one, of course). Honestly though, it didn't even need to be on one of the islands, it could have easily been a black void or something (I don't think Cyberspace would have worked since suddenly you'd have Open Zone physics in Cyberspace and that breaks whatever arbitrary rule Sonic Team came up with to keep the two completely separated). Either way, I like it as a set piece that provides a bit of challenge and moves the story forward.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    With all these compilations of Sonic referencing his friends, they always seem to miss the Silver reference when Sonic offers to have him change history for the Hermit Koco...

Also, Sonic, you can't just run around offering for Silver to change history without his consent...

16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    It doesn’t help that these lines are such a pain in the ass to trigger. I got two in my entire run and neither of them referenced anything. :/

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Oh, you get this one by talking to the Hermit Koco after the Elder Koco's maxed out your stats. This one's triggered deliberately.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So who the hell is Hermit Koco anyway? They at least had scenes of the Elder Ancient.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The elder's hermit brother. Probably thought they were screwed when The End found them so just kind of went off and did his own thing instead of waiting and watching the Titans fail.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I’m pretty sure it didn’t trigger for me, he just says the stuff about no longer being able to do anything for Sonic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.