don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    We already have our first physics improvement mod
    https://gamebanana.com/mods/411223

Edit: The big one I want to see is a performance mod that strips the game down so it can run/look better on lower end systems.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I want to see a mod that fixes the damn pop in.

3. That's inherent to the engine itself sadly, its not something you can just mod out. They would have to redo the engine from scratch to fix that.

4. Exoticus

Exoticus

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yikes. I guess it wasn’t an issue in Forces due to how linear it was but it’s weird both this and Colors Ultimate suffered from weird pop in issues.

but I suppose if the options are bad pop in or Unleashed esq lag… I’ll take the pop in.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Colours Ultimate was done in Godot, not Hedgehog Engine 2. I don't have the technical know-how to weigh in on how easy pop-in would be to mod out, but I don't think it's an inherent *flaw* of HE2, per se.

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

I don't think any big mods are really feasible as long as the game has denuvo.

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Denuvo is an executable check. It does absolutely jack squat for external files. And I dunno what's in all those .pac files but it kinda seems like they put a hell of a lot of stuff outside of the exe, but I'm not entirely sure.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I know they were done in different engines, if anything it makes the shared issue even stranger.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

How is denuvo influencing performance on PC? How is Frontiers running on lower end systems?

11. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Ok, there are a couple of things I want to know before (eventually) starting Frontiers:

1. To be reassured of what was mentioned a couple of pages back, is there really extra content locked behind higher difficulty settings?

2. Are the gloves and shoes from the Digital Deluxe Edition also available to unlock in the base game?

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    1-Yes
    2-No

13. MH MD

MH MD

SEGA just released official MV for the big boss fight

14. Bilollipop

Bilollipop

My Limited Edition came in!
    Koco plush is cute, keychain is even cuter!
    I got it off Amazon jp, for anyone else who ordered the Japanese edition how did you get your Korone DLC? Haven't seen any emailed code

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I just finished beating Frontiers. Right now, it sits about on par with Sonic CD. Interesting concepts, clumsy execution, still overall enjoyable.
    Still don't know what the dang "zap" is.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow Sonic CD is actually a really good comparison.

Btw just wrapped up Ares Island, onto Chaos. Still loving this game, I really think their gamble overall paid off. Please have this be the next Unleashed in that the next game smooths out some of the edges.

17. We need more Kelin Quinn and Tyler Smith in vocal songs for future Sonic games, because this is just 100/10.

Also, at this point, I woun't complain if SEGA'd MV but with complete songs, because those visuals on this MV are actually really cool honestly.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    So I was looking at how much Denuvo impacts game performance and what I could do to improve how this game runs on my laptop and I came across this:

I’m beginning to think my laptop isn’t the issue here, given that it’s only just shy of the recommended settings. It seems like SEGA seriously dropped the ball with the PC version of this game to the point that even stuff like Denuvo removal will only do so much. I’m seriously hoping that performance patches are in the pipeline for the PC version because this stuff isn’t great, especially for a game that, let’s be honest, isn’t pushing the envelope on graphics.

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It's clearly not as good as Sonic CD. Sonic CD is actually a good game. Frontiers is interesting but very flawed.

I beat the first island. I have some...thoughts. LOL. I do find it somewhat enjoyable. I think? Exploring the island and collecting things is inherently quite fun.

I think the controls are actually a bit whack. Think people have been giving them far too much praise. Far worse than Adventure in my opinion. The controls in the open world and especially cyberspace lock your movement too much because there's an ungodly amount of automation. So while the base movement is okay in practice it's actually very annoying because of the design of the game.

The combat is still okay. Not as bad as I expected to be fair.

I like the music a lot. Don't like the aesthetic at all.

The level design is very poor. Colors and Gens side level stuff.

Now the story is both interesting but also really fucking weird and...bad.

The story is utterly baffling. What the fuck is going on. It's so dark and macabre. Watching these cute kokos jump to each other and die. The characters express such a morbid curiosity in it. I mean it is kind of interesting but I also just find the whole thing a bit jarring. I get this is a matter of taste.

I'm not really enjoying most the cutscenes. The characters kind of just spout exposition in really short scenes and nothing of much value is said. There are some decent moments, like when Amy talks about her desire to do good. But honestly I consider the writing a definite downgrade from Pontac and Graff so far (and they certainly weren't incredible).

I've said this before but the voice acting is utterly dire. Easily the worst voice acting in a Sonic game since the 2000s.

[/spoilers]

20. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm not talking about performance. Denuvo randomizes memory addresses, which makes code mods pretty damn hard.