don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Did you also sit there and hit retry over and over, refusing to just admit defeat and progress with the game?

Because I definitely didn’t.
    :colbert:

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I did. As anyone who has talked continuity with me can tell you, I'm one stubborn git :V

3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I think I softlocked the game on accident

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    In fairness, it seems like if you can get the first two s-ranks, the rest topple like dominos. It's like they balanced around only the times they saw from Summer Games Fest and just E for the others, haha.

5. Yeah, I noticed I haven’t had to go again for any S ranks since 1-2… I even cleared the stage based on Rail Canyon over a minute under S rank and it surprised me.

Sidenote: I am actually liking these cyberspace stages a little bit. I’ve been playing a lot of Unleashed since getting the Series X on Saturday, so stepping into 1-1 was a pretty meh intro to the game considering the boost gameplay isn’t as polished as Unleashed/Gens, but they’ve grown on me tonight. I’m looking forward to what other throwbacks they have in there because it’s been pretty interesting and fun to see them function with boost gameplay.

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Avoid the first spring and just boost off. Saves like about 5 seconds. Lol

Don't forget to hit the boost pads!

7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I like the Cyberspace levels because, despite their short legnth, you are actively involved throughout the entire 1-2 minutes the stages takes. Actively trying for the higher routes and short cuts, actively taking advantage of enemy placement to cut through the level, or using the boost to get a little higher jump to get a Red Ring JUST out out of range without it.

They're very involved all things considered all things considered and i completely get the hype and why they were being raved about at events so often.

2-6 is probably my favorite because it's based on Sky Rail from SA2 and confirms my theory that the SA2 speed stages were the precursor to the boost formula. So much in fact you can literally just port levels from that game into Boost with very little changes.

I can't wait to play them to beat all the challenges tomorrow.

8. netscapenow

netscapenow

Been playing the game all day, and I'm up to Chaos Island (and I've already completed every Cyberspace level there without even freeing Tails :V). Really really enjoying it so far, my only real gripes right now being the awful-pop in, and the cutscene animation being a bit lame. Cyberspace is surprisingly fun, I find myself replaying the levels just 'cause they're so quick and breezy to run through while listening to the banging music.

Also those titan bosses... hot damn. I'm still thinking about the one on Ares all these hours later. They're kind of janky and hard to understand at first (like most 3D Super Sonic bosses lmao) but once you get the hang of them they're really fun and thrilling. And the music... this feels like a weird PS2 game in the best ways possible if that makes sense lol

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Omg I loved the first titan battle for just how over the top and ridiculous it was, and that music. Oh it was lovely.

Currently making my way through the 2nd island and still having a great time. It just feels fun to explore.

10. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    This is how gamedev tends to work. Whatever codename you're using, you author all of your files under that name and keep it locked to that. Renaming a ton of files is a nightmare with little benefit.

Up to now they've tended to use their target release year as the code name (Sonic2010, Sonic2013, Sonic2017) but I would assume they knew from the start that they'd be taking an indeterminate amount of time on dev.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    lol

12. Linkabel

Linkabel

Here's my run getting a S rank on Sky Sanctuary 1-2 for those that want to look at a route. Like I said in the tweet, I messed up but still made it.

If you don't make the mistakes I made you can shave off like 3 seconds more.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why are the 1st 2 cyberspace levels the hardest to S rank in the game? Par for the course for 1-1 I guess, Windmill Isle Act 1 was always deceptively a bitch to get an S rank in

14. Linkabel

Linkabel

I think it's a combination of not being used to how Sonic handles at first (especially if you're used to the past boost games) and the layouts not having many obvious shortcuts/exploits.

15. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I'll echo those troubles with 1-1 & 1-2. I had to google someone else's run of 1-2 after trying for 30 minutes to S rank it, and 1-1 took 15-ish minutes and kinda killed some excitement. My general strategy is to go for the Red Rings in the first run and go for the time on a subsequent run. The ring requirements are kinda a joke either way.

As far as my impressions, I'm kinda addicted to the game which surprises me. I'll echo someone else's sentiment that it feels more like a tech demo than a full game, but the bones are in place and aren't cracking under the pressure. It has a similar appeal to me as the Treasure Hunting stages in SA2 have. Breezed through Kronos but Ares is giving a bit more difficulty navigating which I think works perfectly fine, I enjoy getting lost and figuring out how to get where I want to go.

Momentum kinda sorta exists? It's weird, you seems to get moments of it, but it's not all there. The trick system is phenomenal and with refined physics you have a home-run. Movement is fun, not in the same smooth way of Adventure, it's more concise than that. Granted, I'm using settings that someone posted here from Twitter a few pages back, but it works amazingly well.

Honestly, I see why it was hard to market this game, it really is something you need to play for yourself to understand. I think it's also very clear that if Sega didn't rush this game out, this could easily be the definitive Sonic game. If they're building off this formula, I think it's going to be amazing. I can totally see an Adventure Remake taking cues from this if they wanted, but a "Frontiers 2" would work just as great without all the cut corners.

16. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    upload_2022-11-8_20-49-3.png
    7.2 hours in and I'm only about 1/3 of the way through Ares Island. I'm starting to think Iizuka's estimate of a 20-30 hour casual playthrough might not be too far off....

Also RE: Cyberspace 1-2, it's definitely more about the routing and what areas you go through than the sheer execution. Once you go on the right pathway it becomes pretty easy to snag an S-rank. You just have to use your own ingenuity to think up that path. It's really rewarding ranking design, I enjoy it a lot. Although 1-2 is a little extreme on it to be fair, and a lot of the other levels do that just to a less intense degree so you can still criticize it. I just wish the difficulty option affected those rankings, cause I for one would love for all the ranks to be as challenging as 1-2 on hard mode, but I know others definitely wouldn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Funny you say that, I actually turned difficulty back down to easy for that stage and discovered it didn't affect anything

18. corneliab

corneliab

I'm honestly fucking amazed how much I'm enjoying this game. Sonic Team should genuinely be proud... they carved out something here, for sure.

19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    So it's been confirmed Sonic Frontiers runs at 1080P 60fps and 4k 30fps on the Series S a system a lot of companies notoriously have had a problem downgrading their games for.

Between this and the switch version running at a SOLID 30 I'm throughly convinced Sonic Team has the best debugging and optimization skills in AAA gaming.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. corneliab

corneliab

Is it? I'm loving the game but it does not feel like a solid 30 on Switch.