don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. netscapenow

netscapenow

Scores are about what I expected. As someone on the more optimistic end of the spectrum, going off the pre-release footage I noticed enough flaws that would place it around here, even though I liked the overall package a lot. Most of my favourite games are 7/10s though so hey let's go :V

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  2. That tracks for Big, just wandering into some life altering shit mostly unscathed.
    I'm very excited to pick up my pre-order. I'm hoping Gamestop does a 9pm release for it tonight

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So did the cast, except for Robotnik. It's not like they were looking for trouble, they were just looking it something weird and would've just left eventually if they were ignored, if the information we had from the opening is accurate.

After being stuck in prisons, nearly hit by giant G.U.N. Trucks, fishing off a blimp and getting caught in the Arabian Knights, this is just a peaceful holiday for him.

4. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    This is how sad and pathetic the discourse around Frontiers has gotten.
    [​IMG]
    I don't care what anyone says about Frontiers, it is a fucking video game. You do not insult them, you do not judge them as people, you do not judge their personalities or characters. If you react this way, please go outside.

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Warning for that Sirus review, there appears to be a tiny plot spoiler so avoid if you want to be 100% blind.

Interestingly, Sirus' review actually echoes Kishimoto's "20-30 hours" comment. I feel like that wasn't a bad estimate honestly, since it seems like non-Sonic-geeks are taking about that long to just casually play through it.

Edit: DigitalTrends' review also says it took them around 20 hours, and they hated it so I don't think they did any extra objectives.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    So what are we looking at now as far as the digital copy's release time? Different times have been thrown around, and I know each console tends to do things differently for third party titles (Nintendo waits until 12AM Pacific, Sony waits until like noon, etc.). Initially I was planning to flake out of my usual Monday night plans so I could take a nap and play for 2 or 3 hours starting at midnight (eastern), but if everyone has to wait until like noon tomorrow then I'd like to know so I don't waste my evening sleeping for nothing.

7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Have you read the review? It's very mean spirited and click baity then it gave the game a 2/10 and declared it worst game of the year. Yes it was said to be worse than saints row. There is no game that deserves a 2/10 unless it's literally unable to function,

You are not allowed to say things with the intention of making people upset and getting mad at them for being upset. It was clearly the reviewers intention.

8. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    I'm sorry, is having an opinion a crime? Maybe you think it's an extreme take. But all that means is you disagree with it. "Screw you"? That's an acceptable response? Jesus christ, grow up.

9. Mana

Mana

There's a difference between an extreme take and saying every negative talking point about 3d sonic in one review and then declaring it one of the worst games ever made. Once again unless a game simply does not function and crashes every few minutes there is no game that deserves a 2/10 and it was clearly for reactions.

I'm grown. I'm not the one who's been complaining about the game for months, posting glitch videos in the spoiler thread, complaining about the amount of islands on end when I could just go play something else.

That's you, and that's fine we don't have to all like the game or find it to be in our tastes but saying someone is wrong for giving people the reaction they wanted when they say something that's clearly inflammatory is ridiculous.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Feel like we’re making mountains out of mole hills here. One reviewer gave the game a low score and one goober on Twitter said “screw you” in their salt, which is the most milquetoast insult going. Not condoning it and there’s certainly something to be said for encouraging healthy discourse and critique around the game, but pariahing some rando on Twitter for being salty isn’t the way to go, as far as I’m concerned.

11. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Just curious, were Digital Trends also one of the few who were highly critical of the pre-release demo?

+ - Also, what I'm about to say will be quite nerdy, but I can already feel said review being in TV Tropes's "He Panned It, Now He Sucks!" category, lol.  

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Tweets aside, I did read that review and it also features a small yet vague plot spoiler, so I guess be on the lookout for that.

Also it opens with a comparison to Sonic 06 (16 year old game for the PS3) and Sonic Boom, and they said they missed the way Sonic controlled in SA2 while also saying Frontiers is broken and glitchy and jerky... so I don't know how much I trust their take. They're not exactly the most reputable reviewer either, so I don't care very much. It is kinda unfortunate to have the MetaScore tanked by a 20, considered the next two lowest reviews are legitimate reviews from GamesRadar and GamesHub that gave the game a 40 at the absolute lowest, but that's just life I guess.

13. Snowbound

Snowbound

I read the digital trends review. I haven’t played Frontiers so I can’t comment on the gameplay. I strongly disagree with the reviewer’s view that Sonic can’t have a serious plot. That said, I do not see anything offensive in this article. Everyone needs to calm down.

14. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I just hope fans don't get too heated up about the new blue needlemouse game.

In general I wish people wouldn't put so much emphasis on critic reviews. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is one of my favourite films and is generally considered to be a good film, but when it released it apparently was critically panned! It was called "one of the worst films of the year" by multiple film critics. It wasn't until years later that people re-evaluated it and were like "no actually this rocks, why did critics not like it??"

I feel like a similar thing has happened with Sonic where maybe some games didn't get their fair shake and were re-evaluated by fans. The mixed-to-positive reception makes me interested to try it.

Realistically what people should do is find people who have similar tastes and compare what their thoughts are. That's a better way to find out if you'll like it, rather than an all-encompassing professional review.

15. Five years for mid huh.

16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Wow, I just, I can't believe someone could have something negative to say in the... (checks notes) Sonic Frontiers discussion thread, about what they're seeing in pre-release content (even though plenty of others had negative things to say aside from myself). Nor can I believe someone could have the gall to... (checks notes) post something interesting that could count as spoiler content. Clearly, that person is an immature child, and not the people who viciously attack reviewers for rating their precious Sonic anything lower than a 6, as they have for years. This is the kind of bullshit that Arlo was getting in his negative videos about Frontiers, to which he had to log off for a while from having anxiety attacks from the things thrown his way.
    I was only using that one goober as an example. You should go and see the ridiculous shit being thrown at them by others. Such classics as "Fuck you" and "Let's find them and give em hell".

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has them

and most are full of shit

18. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    You mean his Sonic 2 movie review? Because Arlo has actually been positive about Frontiers since the beginning to the end.

19. Mana

Mana

"Screw you " is not a vicious attack and I clearly said you're entitled to not like a game or complain about it.

When Gotham Knights was a disappointment I know I did because I waited months for the game and defended it several times.

But I didn't spend months going out my way to complain about the game then solely posting things that validated my negativity then deny that a 2/10 review score, which even Gotham Knights with its flaws wouldn't deserve, was anything other than click bait. Then after I was done done venting about the game I moved on.

I don't believe this game will be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine but there's so many better ways to spend your time than constantly going on a site to hate on a game you didn't like and trying to bring down the people who do. I haven't seen anyone constantly tear the game down like you have and it's why I mentioned it when you rudely and personally told me to "grow up".

I'm not saying anyone should blindly defend or enjoy the game either. I think it has many flaws that are hopefully addressed in a sequel.

I'm just saying when you say things for reactions you'll get them and that's what the guy did with his 2/10 review.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I've been on media lockdown the past week and it's good to know that I wasn't crazy, some of you really are just absolutely insufferable under every single possible context