don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Vertette

Vertette

It's a gradient. There's a big difference between "dumb enough to fall for Eggman's manipulations" and "dumb enough to cause a dozen unnecessary deaths because he thought using a war strategy planned out in a minute and a half was a good strategic choice".

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Furthermore, Knuckles is tricked by Eggman because he lived a sheltered life up until that point and hadn’t known deceit before, so of course he’d be gullible. With Boom Knuckles, you may as well say he was dropped on his head as a kid or has been drinking lead poisoned water for most of his life because his idiocy isn’t so much naïveté stemming from his specific circumstances as a character as it is a base character trait in of itself, with no real point of extrapolation that’s presented to us within Boom.

I think it’s entirely possible to convey Knuckles’ shortcomings in terms of being easily deceived while still respecting his intelligence as a character by keeping in mind why he is the way he is, something that I feel IDW has done to great effect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Taylor

Taylor

Feels like a case where technical limitations (or dev time pressures) prevented the devs from going all out. It's the difference from what they intended and what they were actually able to, a common dichotomy in media (see: George Lucas and Star Wars :P)

As for the Knuckles debate, his character has always felt the most volatile and inconsistent out of the main three. In Sonic 3K, he chuckles, while in SA1 he does not :V.

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I feel like this is important when thinking about Classic Sonic. It's pretty clear that Sonic Team always had these anime stylistic intentions. Even as early back as Sonic 1. But technical and monetary limitations limited them.

It's the difference between the art and the artist. It's perfectly valid for someone to interpret the art of Classic Sonic as not in line with what came afterwards.

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    HEY GUYS? THAT WAS AMAZING

KNUCKLES

CHAO? LITTLE BABIES?

and the new VA actually sounds... really good?? Like way better than he was in TSR, he really had a chance to shine here

6. Taylor

Taylor

That's completely true. I took Overlord's post as shitting on the animated short as opposed to talking about the game as a whole, and that's on me. I definitely agree that the game is reaching for the Adventure audience, Iizuka even teased the idea of making Sonic Adventure 3 if this did well. And the open world stuff can be seen as a successor to SA1's hub worlds.

Edit: I know Ian is involved and doesn't really like the whole Classic/Modern dichotomy, but he's ultimately just the writer, subject to Sega's limitations.

7. I find this interesting because modern Pokemon has a similar issue where a lot of the traits older fans miss were mostly technical oversights that they weren't able to compensate for. The Pokemon Red and Blue were barely abel to fit into a cartridge. So many fans just filled in a lot of the blanks with their imaginations and just ran with it regardless if that was the creator's intent.

So fast forward to Modern Pokemon and now a lot of older fans hate it for not adhering to or contradicting those holes they made as children. There's a lot less left to the imagination and a sense of betrayal with it. Even though the creators this is what they always intended for the series to be.

And I see a lot of that with Sonic; holes and oversights by the devs are things fans will just reinterpret to fit their own ideas. I firmly believe the Modern Anime shit in the 3D games was 100% the intended direction of the series that they just couldn't do at the time. The climax of Sonic 3 isn't that different from the later games aside from technical aspects.

Its not wrong to feel the Modern games betrayed what you felt the Classics were mind you. Your personal feelings are your own and I completely understand why some feel the way they do.

8. Wraith

Wraith

I don't think a change inherently has value just because it was intended all along. Sonic having a human girlfriend was in the initial drafts for the character, after all. Some ideas are better off left on the cutting room floor.

I'm not saying this applies to everything they introduced in the 3D games for me, but it could for somebody.

9. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Be prepared, guys, 4chan broke the street date. Someone is playing the PS4 version of the game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. RDNexus

RDNexus

Oh man... That animation... The vibes... The feels...
    LOVED IT!!! If only a full anime series could exist...
    Plot, lore, character depth, it was all there.
    Not sure if it had SA1&2 levels of shounen, but it had was what lacking for the last decade.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    What is that pointing out lol

13. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Big the Cat

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Taylor

Taylor

I went on 4chan and saw nothing

smh you can't just get people to go to 4chan for no reason

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I really wouldn't otherwise, lol. The tweet I liked is deleted and the alleged leaker isn't putting out anything significant. Still, I'd advise caution, especially tomorrow.

If the leaker is real, you wouldn't have to go to 4chan soon anyway.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Well, at least we now know how he got to the Starfall Islands...

Now how he got there is another mystery...

17. I think he probably found a Portal Gear and used it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MH MD

MH MD

i took it upon myself to go to 4chan to confirm if the leak is real

and it is

[​IMG]

They even recorded Sonic's Idle animation

https://i.imgur.com/v5aB29i.mp4

and other stuff

All i am saying is uuuuh....... the leaks are real this time! i will try to avoid it as much from now on, and i advise the gentlemen here to do so.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  19. VenomTH

VenomTH

I'm not sure if linking 4chan is a great idea but here is a link just in case anyone is curious. Here is a link to the second thread. I'll leave any other things for the spoiler thread.

Mod edit: if you really need to find it just Google for it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member