don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

It's crazy to me that Sega didn't think to make their sprite game rerelease in 2022 not use a blurry filter, like that's something Headcannon would've known to do and it was one of the first things modders fixed.
    What kinda physics are we talking here? Do you mean roll jump lock being disabled throughout or Mania physics across all games? If the latter's what S3&K has, people have complained the weird physics in that remaster sorta interfere with the game's level design a bit.

2. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Roll jump lock being disabled would be great. Consistent drop dash would be great. Speed and hitboxes that don't interfere with the games as they were originally designed would be great.

3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Yeah, tbh being able to just play all these games with somewhat uniform physics, controls, menus, and overall presentation would be awesome. My big issue with origins is that it doesn't really feel like a remastered package. It's just 3 older remasters + the new 3K remaster lumped into one package, which is super underwhelming given how much time has passed since those 3 ports were released, how much money this game cost, and how adamant SEGA were on removing the individual ports from PC marketplaces. I was honestly fine with my experience when it came to each game on its own, but this is supposed to be a faithful remaster, not a port of some older remasters... so why not at least try to have some uniformity and bring them all up to the same standard? If people wanna play Sonic 1 with 1:1 physics and no menu integration, maybe they could just have Classic Mode for that? Idk.\

Obviously it's a tall task to do what I just said given how complex the original quadrilogy is, but it's also kind of what is expected from a developer like SEGA with the resources that SEGA has. It's also just kinda beating a dead horse at this point, not like anything can be done about it, and they've already sold plenty of copies to people who don't seem to mind some of these things. I just look at a game like Super Mario All-Stars, released less than 10 years after Mario 1, and I feel like a 2022 remaster of some games from 1991-1994 should be able to do... just a little bit more. But again, all that has been said over and over again, and they've sold plenty of copies regardless.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. I’d even settle for being able to drop dash in a different direction than your jump like the AGES versions allowed you to do.

Inconsistency is my biggest pet peeve and Sega spreading these projects out amongst so many teams is annoying. ​

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I made a YouTube Short about how HeadCannon disarmed "Dr. Robotnik's diabolical speed traps" in Sonic Origins. I previously talked about this subject in a long video about Sonic Origins for Game Facts Special, but I went in more detail about glitches from Sonic Origins with the Short.

6. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

[​IMG]
    For what it's worth, the Steam files of Origins are being tinkered with again after like a month of inactivity, which can still be seen with the "review" section. I'm no expert in SteamDB stuff, but if Build ID is meant to go up with each alteration, they might've made a LOT of changes going from 91XXXXX to 98XXXXX. Surely if they're continually significantly addressing the files, there's something more going on there.

… Right?

Again, no expert in SteamDB, maybe there are examples of totally dead games with a different Develop Build ID. But I'm guessing Sonic Team must've been focusing all their efforts on getting Frontiers out the door in the past weeks and are just now getting back into Origins. Potentially another example as to why spreading their focus across two big projects instead of just getting Headcannon to handle all of Origins was a bit of a weird idea, but maybe Headcannon would've stretched themselves thin doing all of Origins' added features on top of an entirely new remaster of S3&K with new extras (though wasn't the original idea for Mania to put the remasters together alongside a new humble 2D game?)
    I noticed some weird crushing sometimes when trying to dash into that area of Carnival Night with the lowering barrel at the front that you'd need to react quickly to and when trying to jump right after breaking an Ice Cap block with a Spin Dash. IDK if the other Retro Engine versions also had more strict crushing compared to the fundamentally differently built Genesis originals, but in S3&K's case it comes off more as yet another bug to iron out than a legitimate intended "fix" to add in a bit more difficulty, like no longer making the Egg Wrecker in S1 vulnerable whilst he's getting his big ball out.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I’m glad I’m not the only person who has been peeking at the SteamDB page :V but on a serious note, this to me definitely screams “more updates/fixes are coming”. Frontiers is the main focus right now, but like I stated before, SEGA has not publicly laid out any plans post Frontiers, so the possibility of a physical release with the rumored DLC additions from that summer survey is still a strong possibility. Origins just needs another big patch of bug fixes to hold us over and it will be even more great than what it is.

And yes, the original pitch for Mania was to include the 3 Retro Engine remakes along with a short new game that had a small number of original zones only.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Yeah, a dead game doesn't get that much attention on SteamDB. At minimum, another patch with more fixes will come... eventually. And the timing for it is not unreasonable given the crunch necessary to market and get Frontiers ready (which I notice is now getting major attention even outside of the usual circles).

My guess is at least one more patch before the year's end. Hopefully before the month's end. Beyond that? I can only speculate. (I still want Emulated Chaotix/Spinball/3D Blast as bonuses...)

9. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I anticipate a Sonic Forces/Sonic Origins bundle in the coming months, Sega probably sees it as a second chance of sorts.

10. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Screw Forces. Now, an Origins/Mania bundle would be far more appropriate.

[​IMG]

;)

At the very least I want SEGA to allow Team Stealth to add the 3K patch they prepared prior to release (which SEGA wouldn't implement). Also, it really bugs me that we cant switch to the normal finite lives system in Anniversary Mode, this needs to be an option.

Obviously there's lots of other stuff that needs fixing (such as the drop-dash in 1, 2 & CD) but I'm not getting my hopes up, just expecting the bare minimum from SEGA.

11. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Just realised I put Forces lol, I meant Frontiers.

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Yep. [LINK] Here's the exact quote from Christian Whitehead about the original proposal for Sonic Mania.
    Personally, I'm glad we got Sonic Mania instead of that original proposal since Sonic Mania ended up being one of the best Sonic games I have ever played and its reception helped the reputation of the Sonic series.

Unexpected deaths from getting crushed in S3&K has always been an issue with that game, but it seems to be worse in the remaster based off my experiences and other people's experiences. In Sonic 3 A.I.R., there was one day where I got crushed in Sandopolis Zone Act 2 while playing as Hyper Sonic. When I made a post about it, @Eukaryot went into detail about some of the collision issues in that stage by stating "here's a small kill plane object in the wall (at the same spot in S3&K and S3AIR) that can trigger an instant kill if you manage to move into the wall too far before wall collision pushes you back". It's possible this collision issue might be a bigger problem in randoms sections of the remaster from Sonic Origins, but that's just speculation on my end.

13. Vertette

Vertette

They do. Mania had the same issue.

14. Harper

Harper

The Retro Engine's crushing comes from Sonic's hitboxes being the wrong size. Simply changing the numbers to match the original versions' hitboxes fixes these issues.
    upload_2022-11-2_12-3-7.png
    upload_2022-11-2_12-3-59.png

EDIT: Here's a comparison of the crouching sprites. A major difference. This applies to the remakes as well, not just Mania.
    https://imgur.com/a/bqcPTHG

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup, that’s why in 2013/Origins Metropolis Act 2 I think you can’t duck under the spikes with the moving platform as intended. I might work as Tails but as Sonic and Knuckles it’s impossible.

• List
  16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I have to admit, I do find it odd that something like this was never corrected.

Does it break a whole bunch of other physics to just make them... well... near pixel perfect to the classics?

Personally, I rarely ever noticed any problems in S1-2-CD. It's only S3&K where I ran into regular issues.

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Managed an S3&K run over this last week where I experienced no unexpected crushing deaths whatsoever! Only major bug I encountered was the Super detransform bug when in Sandopolis. I realise this was entirely luck on my part, but it felt really good to blast through encountering almost no issues.

Makes me hope the game does get patched again in future so that all players can have a similar experience, as it should be... Is that mysterious dev branch on Steam still active? Keeping fingers crossed that that bodes well for further fixes.

18. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    The SteamDB dev branch has been active as of four days ago so something is definitely happening behind the scenes.. I’m expecting another patch either in December or the beginning of 2023.. hopefully one more after that to coincide with a physical release in the spring or summer of 2023

• List
  19. Turbohog

Turbohog

Watch them patch the ending of S3&K into an ad for Frontiers.

20. Davether

Davether

I'll accept any in-game Frontiers ads if it means we can play classic mode games in widescreen :V