don't click here

Which theme song do you associate with Sonic (the character) the most?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Oct 31, 2022.

Which theme song do you associate with Sonic (the character) the most?

1. Sonic 1 Title Theme

2. It Doesn't Matter (SA1)

3. It Doesn't Matter (SA2)

4. His World

5. Reach for the Stars

6. Other/I don't associate any theme song with Sonic

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I mean 'Sonic' as in the character, not the franchise. I was having this discussion on a Discord and I thought this would be an interesting poll, it seems like people's answers varied wildly when I was discussing it there. I'm curious as to see what you guys think.

As for me, I want to choose His World since I'm quite fond of 06 since it was my first 3D Sonic, but I've gotta choose Reach for the Stars. It feels very representative of the 'Modern' incarnation of Sonic we have today. It's just so positive in a way that can't help but make you smile.

2. As far as the options presented go: Sonic 1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I was gonna vote for the Sonic 1 theme, as it (or Sonic 2's slightly different version to be more precise) is the theme I most associate with the franchise, but then I read the OP, which specified Sonic the character.

Voted for his SA1 theme. I feel SA1 and 2 have the strongest character themes in the series, and in the case of characters who had their SA1 themes remixed for SA2, I vastly prefer their original SA1 versions. "Long as the voice inside me says go, I will always keep on running" was pretty motivating for me when I was in middle school at track meets.

4. "It Doesn't Matter" was the only other option I even considered, as it does fit Sonic exceptionally well. The opening theme of his very first game, along with all the supplemental material of the time, are what defined Sonic the character to me in my childhood.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I voted for SA1, though I put the SA2 reprise on the same level. Maybe they should have been the same option, being the same song and all. But yeah, I don't think there is any song that encapsulates Sonic's character better than It Doesn't Matter.

6. The Deleter

The Deleter

Endless Possibilities is the one I associate with Sonic's character the most. Absolutely love how well it brings out the earnestness for adventure in the lyrics alongside the disposition of self confidence that feels so natural for the character.

It Doesn't Matter is still iconic for when Sonic's philosophy is called into the spotlight, but I really don't think it makes sense for Sonic himself to dwell on it, either. It makes more sense to come up when morality is brought up or something. (which is also why SA2 IDM > SA1 tonally *runs*)

7. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I like His World the best. It's just a much stronger song than It Doesn't Matter, which while it has lyrics relevant to the character, also has a really awkward flow to it. It also feels kinda...immature, in comparison. His World has a more "mature" vibe to it, while still being true to Sonic's character. Also the rock-rap style really works for him and contrasts nicely with Knuckles, his rival, having pure rap.

I wish I could say Endless Possibility, but unfortunately the bridge's lyrics are tied to the Werehog. It's too specific to Unleashed.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I voted for SA1, but your comment about it not making sense for Sonic to dwell on it made me think for a second.

I think, in my head, I've understood this song to be a series of statements Sonic might say, in different circumstances. Which goes to how I think of most songs with first-person lyrics, probably :V

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  9. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Other, for "Sonic - You Can Do Anything". "Nothing can survive the will to stay alive" is an insanely badass lyric.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Taylor

Taylor

Seconded, albeit I'm a little biased because SRB2K uses it :V

11. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It Doesn't Matter (SA1), because I listened to it to death back then. But the opening and ending songs from Sonic X fit Sonic nicely too.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I don't even need the whole theme, the three snare drums at the beginning are enough to seal the deal for me, that's just so iconic.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    For me it’s a mix of the Sonic 2 title screen and Generations’ title screen, the latter which was my phone ring for a while

14. _Sidle

_Sidle

I always end up associating Sonic's character to random bits of background music, that's supposed to be more general purpose... but it just works for him, ha.

For classic it's:
    [+] S2's Multiplayer Results
    [+] 3K's File Select (honorable mention to [+] Generation's remix of Jam's rendition)​
    For modern it's:
    [+] SA1's Station Square (#1 choice overall)
    [+] Generations chill party music​

Voted for other, but if I had to pick from the list... [+] SA2 It Doesn't Matter, but specifically and only the instrumental from when he jumps out of the helicopter.

15. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I don't really associate songs to Sonic himself, or at least not one over the others. Ok, It Doesn't Matter sounds like Sonic's singing, something you could say from other songs too, but I don't associate them with Sonic more than others. On the other hand, if we talk about which song puts me in the mood of "Ok, I'm Sonic, let's save the world.", It's the slow version of "Sonic Boom" from US SCD. No contest in that regard.

On a side note, the character I associate the most with their related music is Knuckles since S3 and all the way forward. Also, I find Sonic being more Sonic in Super Sonic's themes, because those songs usually go harder, faster, or both. In fact, Open Your Heart should be the choice I'd do for what the OP proposes, but it's for Super so I don't think it counts.

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It doesn't matter from SA1. It's peak Sonic to me, a song that perfectly describes the feel of character.

I kinda miss the characters themes. Jun and company really did a good job, fitting themes to a character. I am the Eggman and Throw it all away are another fine examples.

17. VenomTH

VenomTH

I'll leave this here for you guys.

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I flitted between Sonic 1’s theme and It Doesn’t Matter, but settled on the former.

The tune of Sonic 1 is just iconic, and I think it suits the character well; it gives him his own leitmotif which should have continued to have been utilised in later games. It’s so iconic that if you hum the first few notes I’m certain most people would recognise it. Overall, it’s a catchy, punchy tune.

it Doesn’t Matter (either version) is a great fit for the character in a different way, utilising aspects of his characterisation to create a theme that literally describes his view in life, whilst complementing his energy and the series heritage.

Endless Possibility is also an excellent track which I think is the best one of the ‘modern’ era.

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I didn't include Endless Possibility on the poll because it's too specific to Unleashed with lyrics alluding to the Werehog (and the game in general with lyrics like "I can go where no one's ever gone"), but for the most part it does fit Sonic very well I agree. Just didn't think it was too good of a choice to put on the poll.

I probably also should've included the SatAM theme as @saintminya made me realize, but no excuse for that one I just completely forgot about it. Too late now.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

There’s nothing in the song which specifically references the events of Unleashed though. The lines about ‘power inside’, though fitting for the story, are not unique to Sonic Unleashed, and is a lyrical trope that many heroic cartoon and anime tracks use because it usually relates to the narrative template of the hero’s journey.