don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Maybe I worded it wrong. I can hear it, but I have to try to hear it. They just too different.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Now that I tried to hear it, I can't unhear it. Thanks for the brainworms:tinfoil:

3. _Sidle

_Sidle

Fell down a minor rabbit hole with Toxomister / Puwazone

upload_2022-10-28_16-2-38.png

In 3K...
    • There are three ways to get out of the smoke, spindashing, shaking, or despawning/killing the source enemy.
    • if AI Tails gets caught in the smoke, he drains your rings down to zero and then dies if he doesn't break free.

In Mania...
    • You can't spindash the smoke off anymore for some reason, so you've gotta use the other two methods.
    • If your AI partner gets caught in the smoke, they take a hit after a second or so and get the smoke cleared as if they died.
    The smoke instantly respawns at the source enemy and can latch on during i-frames, so you can position the AI to get knocked back into the smoke and combo themselves a little. Surprisingly fun trying to set it up~

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Did they fix that for the Sonic 3 remake or no?

5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    A leftover code from GameCube perhaps? If I'm not mistaken, GameCube had some 3D capabilities, that were never used. Seeing as Sonic Adventure 2 was one of the first games/ports on the system, perhaps this is some form of scrapped feature that somehow survived/was revived in PC port?

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That’s probably the only explanation that makes sense. What about the DC version? If it’s not there but in post SA2B then that’s definitely the reason.

7. Mookey

Mookey

Or I don't know, stereoscopic 3D TVs/monitors were a fad when the 2012 port was being developed. Maybe it was a feature they were working on to capitalize on it but it never made it out of testing? Weird that such a thing would be functional in the final game, but maybe it was scrapped due to concerns other than functionality (marketing, tester feedback, etc.).

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  9. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    hmmm I wouldn't necessarily call changes to how the tails AI object is handled as a "fix", as it is the basis of many, many, many bugs and odd behaviors in S3 and S3&K. 2P tails is an inherently buggy object.

Now my curiosity is piqued. Pikmin was also a launch title yea? I wonder if it has some of this stuff in it...

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I meant the part about spindashing not working to remove the cloud.

11. Pengi

Pengi

https://twitter.com/okunari/status/1586653327856922624

This tweet from Okunari says that it's Masato Nishimura's birthday in two months, and asks us to also input the the cheat code into Sonic CD.

So are all the hidden art cheat codes in Sonic CD the artists' birthdays?

Nishimura's code is FM46, PCM12, DA25, and 25th December is roughly two months from now. Do we know Hoshino, Yamaguchi or Miyake's birthdays?

https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD/Hidden_content

Looking at the other hidden art codes, they would all fit the format of PCM being the month and DA being the day.

I can't figure out if there's any kind of meaning to the FM numbers, which are all in the 40s.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, people born in the 1940s would be around 80 years old as of now, does that make sense?

13. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Hmm... ignoring FM07-PCM07-DA07 (the eighth Special Stage)...
    • FM40-PCM12-DA11: Judy Totoya (Yasushi Yamaguchi) - Tails, "see you next game"
    • FM42-PCM03-DA01: K.H (Kazuyuki Hoshino) - "The Fastest DJ" MC Sonic
    • FM46-PCM12-DA25: Majin (Masato Nishimura) - "fun is infinite"
    • FM42-PCM04-DA21: Takumi Miyake (is there a source for this?) - Batman parody
    • FM44-PCM11-DA09: Sanchanzu (Masahiro Sanpei) - "You are cool"
    Dates are written in Japan in year-month-day order, so that could mean:
    • 1940-12-11: Yamaguchi
    • 1942-03-01: Hoshino
    • 1946-12-25: Nishimura
    • 1942-04-21: Miyake
    • 1944-11-09: Sanpei
    Them all being born in the 1940s seems odd, though, given that people like Yuji Naka and Rieko Kodama were born in the 1960s. Perhaps these are all Japanese calendar dates from the Shōwa era rather than Gregorian calendar dates, in which the dates become:
    • Shōwa 40 (1965)-12-11: Yamaguchi
    • Shōwa 42 (1967)-03-01: Hoshino
    • Shōwa 46 (1971)-12-25: Nishimura
    • Shōwa 42 (1967)-04-21: Miyake
    • Shōwa 44 (1969)-11-09: Sanpei
    That's closer to Kodama's 1963-05-23 (Shōwa 38) and Naka's 1965-09-17 (Shōwa 40).

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I find that Sega (and others) preferred to use the Japanese calendar up until the turn of the millennium (at least internally). So yes it'll be that.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    In the snowboard segment of Generations' Modern City Escape, you can drift off of trick ramps, and start drifting in the air. Because it turns you aggressively when in mid-air, it can lead to some funny results, such as being able to see the parts of buildings where the model cuts off. It also generates a good deal of speed, but it's likely not useful since by the time Sonic's accelerated to any useful amount using the trick, he's usually just ramming into a momentum killing invisible wall.
    upload_2022-10-31_13-44-6.png
    I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug TBH, I mean you are using intended mechanics (just in creative ways), but the results it creates don't seem entirely intended, especially since the sound effect for dragging on the concrete continues playing, along with the spark effects on the board, which don't make any sense to happen in the air (duh).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  16. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Sonic CD's unused special stage animations:

07 and 08 (waiting):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

0C (being grabbed):
    [​IMG]

0F (in game and fixed, sliding from oil slicks maybe?):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1F and 20 (jumping?):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21 and 22 (sinking?):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

23 (landing, possibly goes with 1F and 20):
    [​IMG]

This frame actually has no mappings/animation data attached to it!
    [​IMG]

On a side note, in the 1996 PC version of Sonic CD, one Sonic's sprites is corrupted:
    [​IMG]

Recovering reveals it to be a fragment of the second water slide animation frame from Sonic 1, which (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe is not even used in Sonic CD:
    [​IMG]

Another side note. In 510, the special stage appears flipped compared to the final. The map data itself wasn't flipped, but rather the stage rendering math was modified to make it appear flipped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More side notes:
    Test object in 510's special stage that tests sprite positioning in a 3D space (which wasn't quite figured out at the point of development):

Unused "press start" text. Still leftover in the final, but the video shows it in v0.51:

Original vs 2011 remake UFO designs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the remake, the speed shoes UFO was changed to use Sonic's palette instead.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic 3 advertising - it's on record that the game was pushed for a McDonalds promotion in the US, but apparently there were two others:

https://archive.org/details/bc-1994-02-07/page/41/mode/1up

1) Lifesavers

[​IMG]

Made a little confusing in that Sega were running promotions with Lifesavers both for Sonic Mania Day (CD, Spinball, Chaos) and later for Sonic & Knuckles. Win a console! Win a game!

2) Fruit Roll-ups

[​IMG]

Win a console! Win a game! Win Tom Kalinske's job!

also

[​IMG]

Two for one on prototype box art. Too bad this photo sucks. Those YouTube videos do too.

18. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Heeeeeeeeeeeey, I know where that's from...
    [​IMG]

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That was used in loads of places. I have a poster of that that doesn't have most of that text slapped over it that was issued with (I think) EU Mega Drives.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Same - I believe it came boxed with the console as part of the version that had Sonic 1 packed in with it. I didn't own one at the time but a friend of mine did, and when I bought it from him many years later it still had the poster included in the box. The box is sadly now long gone, as I had no room for it when I first moved out and it got thrown out when my folks moved house, but I still have the poster in near-mint condition packed up in a box of gaming stuff somewhere...!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022