don't click here

Discotek Licenses Japanese Sonic X!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by KingOfBunnies, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Dang, you're right. This is a major faux-pas.

Guess I should just quit now... sorry guys, no more Blu-ray.......

Re: Seizure editing.

-When it was made, they added A LITTLE seizure editing to the base masters.
    -Then they made the Japanese version from the base masters and added more seizure editing since Japanese TV was stricter even back then
    -Then they made the English version from the base masters, but didn't add too much in the way of seizure editing.
    -Then, when they re-aired the Japanese version last year, they added even more seizure editing.

Seizure editing gets applied when anyone moves fast or a lot, and this whole show is both fast and a lot... so it was everywhere.

That re-aired version is, for the most part, the base of our release because it was uncut and the cleanest. However, using the English masters (which we have in pristine quality), the previous DVD masters (of a lower quality, but able to be cleaned up), and the original TV airing masters (which we have but they're even lower quality because they were made so long ago.), we were able to filter and piece together a version that undid most of the seizure edits. So the amount of seizure editing is less than the original Japanese TV release, and more on par with the US version masters.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

@Bartman3010 Since you made the front page post I guess I mention you or maybe another staff can fix it, but you mention that the set is available "late next year" when I mentioned in the OP that other titles were labeled "Winter 2023" and they meant January-March. Same applied for Sonic X. Only caveat is Brady mentioned that since it has to go through approval at TMS and Sega, it could take a little longer. Which means maybe April or May? Just a correction so people reading the front page don't get confused.

3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Oh! That soon?!

4. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Should be fixed now. Thanks.

5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    So I'm guessing Super Sonic will still be the standard golden yellow color, and not the metallic gold color he was in the original airing?

6. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    What do you mean? Super Sonic always looked like that in the show. I think the crusty TV rip you watched had bad colors or something.

7. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Nope, I'm not making this up. I distinctly remember there were talks when the DVDs came out how there was a difference in Super Sonic's color scheme compared to the original airing. It's consistent across every episode he's in, and it doesn't seem like any other colors are screwed up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

No, that just looks like bad color correcting from a crusty TV rip. Notice how everything is skewed in that top shot and not just Super Sonic?

9. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    Uh, yeah, that top one looks like the French DVDs (which seem to be all around weirdly produced, like someone put a 25% desaturation filter on everything) or the Amazon Video rip from before the 2020 Kids Station rebroadcast. Either way, the colors are inaccurate and probably not a case of TMS changing their mind for the 53-78 batch.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    If it helps, I had rips of the French dub of 53-78 from Jetix back when those episodes originally aired, and definitely remember Super Sonic being the same colour he'd been in the original batch of episodes. I'd rewatched the Super Sonic episodes from the original run so much by that point that any difference would have stood out immediately!

11. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Excellent news, great job to all involved.

I wonder if there's anything about these concept-arts/promo images..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Question. I understand that the revision history of the subs goes like this:

The first official subs come from one of the old DVDs.

Hulu had an updated version of those subs (though the only difference I could notice was ALL CAPS).

TMS uploaded to YouTube a few Japanese episodes with subs using an all-new translation.

This release uses the Hulu subs, only updated with some corrections, and possibly fixed capitalization.

Is that right?

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You are missing the part where 4KIDS uploaded subbed episodes to YouTube, which I believe were the first official ones.

They matched the fansubs from back then quite closely, actually, like having the "Special Milk" line in the...first episode I believe it was?

Don't remember when they did thus though. But there was a reasonable gap between when Sonic X fansubs first became available and 4KIDS uploading their own to YouTube.

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Interesting. So they basically used modified fan subs? Did those uploads precede the official subs?

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Official as in what? If you are talking about the 4KIDS uploads it was a big deal back then because I don't think any fansubs ever finished Sonic X so people were wondering if 4KIDS would do it for all the episode. I don't know how far they got but I'm sure it was the first time that the show was officially released subbed since a big deal was made about it.

16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Fansubs were done for Sonic X by late 2004, but they weren't on any of the usual resources for finding them at that time.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I only remember WPP going the furthest with it and I think they dropped it at some point.

18. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

That's... uh... he's saying the word "milk" in the Japanese version. For some reason they had Sam Speed say the word milk in English. That's not a fansub exclusive thing. That's just, you know, what he's saying.

19. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Yes, this release uses the Hulu/4Kids subs as a BASE. These were likely based on the sales scripts from TMS - a translation done by them internally. They're what a show owner gives to a licensor to help localize a show. And likely what 4Kids used to write the dub script. If you know anything about Discotek, though, even if we use older subtitles as a starting point, we do heavy re-edits and fixes in almost all instances. So there's no 'maybe.'

This series in particular had:

-Translation fixes.
    -Missing lines added.
    -Missing signs added.
    -Translations for the next episode previews added.
    -And yes, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling fixes.

All done by a Sonic superfan.

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. Harper

Harper

Thank you to everyone involved in making this possible! I can't even imagine how much work went into making this a reality. I'm definitely getting this when it comes out.