don't click here

Discotek Licenses Japanese Sonic X!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by KingOfBunnies, Oct 25, 2022.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    If I recall correctly, the song in Ep. 26 was replaced by an instrumental harmonica version of the second ending theme, which was clearly designed to give off a similar vibe to the original song. Even watching the TV airings, you'll actually have heard a little of this track, as the clip of the same scene in Ep. 39 (when the Chaotix Detective Agency are watching Sonic X DVDs to get up-to-speed on things) uses the DVD version with the alternate music.

Can't honestly remember what the song in Ep. 52 was replaced with, just that the timing of the new song no longer matched the quick-cuts zooming down to Amy as she turns around before leaving her house, which bothered me a lot. Either compose the song to match the scene as-is, or retime the shots to match the new song, guys! = P

2. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    That's exactly why the cards are all blank, to be localized. Though cutting the cards for more commercial time is obviously easier.

Same with the commercial bumpers. Cut them out so there's more commercial time. It was all about commercials back then.

It makes sense that they're all blank, and indeed, signs in the show were all blank on purpose, but it's interesting if they never got reference to what was supposed to be there. They were probably delivered scripts, though, and usually that information was there.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Ep 26 used some instrumental version of Hikaru Michi. Ep 52 used Hikaru Michi during the Sonamy bit. Can't fully remember what was used for the very last scene but I want to say it was "Event: The Last Scene" from SA2.

Glad to see this finally becoming a thing. In a perfect world this would be re-dubbed with the current VA's ala classic Sailor Moon and with the Off Course songs intact, but I'll gladly take it!

4. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    Ep. 52's first song was replaced with the second ending theme for the Sonic/Amy scene (which means the cuts between scenes no longer sync up like you said), while the second song near the end of the episode is replaced with Event: The Last Scene from Sonic Adventure 2. The dialogue shown in the flashbacks is also added in while in the TV version it's just the music. I think the only sources that included all the songs and the Cheese ending were the original TV airings and the now-defunct AniTV streaming site. Lord knows why it had those.

Anyway, I also helped out on this release, so it's great to see it all come together after all this time.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Absolutely fantastic news, I've been waiting a long time for this. Will be buying, I just hope I have a Bluray player capable of working with Region A =P

Thank you to everyone who put so much work into this - Off Course being missing is only a slight tarnishing of an otherwise fantastic product.

6. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Can it really be tarnishing if that's how it is on everything past the initial broadcast and is more a TMS thing than anything Discotek can do?

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Most of the oldbies still have the TV airings and just watch those when we want to, so kinda.

8. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Awesome news! I'll be picking this and Digimon Adventure up for sure. It's a shame so many classic anime series are held back by their heavily edited western airings when it comes to official releases.

9. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So because you downloaded fansubs that used the initial broadcast that not even TMS uses anymore, that's a knock on this product? Rather than just, TMS not doing what they need to? Am I getting that right? I just want to repeat that back to you so you can see how that sounds.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Not even fansubs. :V

Also yes. Like I said, I've only ever watched the initial broadcast when it comes to the JP so I never even knew music was replaced. Not sure if Sonic X Uncensored ever mentioned it either...

11. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    What was the contribution if you can say?

12. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    Translation, duh. There was a lot of stuff that the Hulu subs did not bother touching at all. Plus fixing the infamous goofs like the hedgehog/echidna mix-ups.

13. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    I really tried to find all the Sonic X experts to work on this project, and Mendy knew who knew everything.

Windii is credited also. Everyone who contributed and wanted a credit has credit. The hope is this will be the definitive release. I appreciate everyone’s help.

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Will we get translations of the eyecatches this time?

15. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Go back a few pages, read the announcement slide. :)

16. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I was curious about that infamous edit last year since it never sat right with me, and IIRC when I skimmed through the episode both subbed and dubbed side by side, 4Kids simply cut the scenes of Sonic/Chris standing around holding the signs up. Like, the signs are nowhere in the dubbed scene. So the whole "they're talking with blank signs!!1 lazy!1" thing is really just an urban myth for the dub.

Granted, there was one nasty spot where something had been blocking part of Chris' hair and… the edit they did to 'restore' his hair was… very app-hair-ent. (Yes I hate me too)

Congratulations to everyone on the Discotek team on a job well done! If I buy it, it'll honestly be more to support you guys than anything. Having stateside physical Japanese subbed Sonic X nearly 20 years after its debut will just be a bonus.
    (20 years. Jesus, kill me now.)

17. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

With all the talk of fixing footage and removing seizure editing, I'm still a bit lost on what that means regarding the masters.

Does this mean that the original, finalized Japanese master no longer exists and had to be recreated?

Or that this is technically that master, but has been edited over time and time again and this is an effort to return them to their original state or better?

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Sorry, missed the bit about commercial bumpers :V

All the effort you guys are putting into this is appreciated :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Honestly, I've never seen an anime bury insert songs like Sonic X does. Like, what happened? That scene with Natsu No Hi is practically what launched me into my cringey SonAmy phase as a tween. It's so good.

If even this release can't restore it, then all hope is lost. There will have to be an edit that puts the audio back in.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    You had the opportunity to say "Sonic X-perts" and you SQUANDERED IT

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List