don't click here

Discotek Licenses Japanese Sonic X!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by KingOfBunnies, Oct 25, 2022.

1. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Why spend an hour searching an exact answer for all the details when I can just ask someone who knows all the details about the specifics and maybe get a decent answer that people who look to google LATER find in 5 minutes?

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

If you look up "Off Course band" into Google, you get a Wikipedia page as the first hit. Go to that and do ctrl+f and then type "Sonic X" and you get your answer and that takes like 2 minutes tops.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I only ever watched/had the original TV airings. What were they even replaced with?

4. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Hey everyone! It's been a long while since I logged in, but glad to see this has finally been announced. I wanted to chime in and say I was able to work on this release and while I can't say much more than this, a lot of love and care has gone into this. Hope you guys enjoy this, once it's finally out there!

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I figured you had something to do with this as well. You are the expert, after all. :V

6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Excellent news! Just one query - will it be region-free? I'm in the UK but would love to import a copy if it's be possible for me to play it.
    Re: the question of Ep. 78, I believe it had alternate video rather than alternate audio. The original airings in France etc. used a version of the video with some unfinished effects, including missing or different effects during the sequences with Super Sonic and Super Shadow in space, Chaos Regeneration etc. The name cards were also missing from the final sequence showing all of the main characters one by one. When it eventually streamed (on Hulu I think?) in Japanese for the first time, a more complete master was used with all of these additional visual elements. Never saw the English dub so not sure which version that used as a base - I'd guess the unfinished one since that's what seems to have been supplied to other international markets.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  7. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Presumably no. All of their blu-rays are Region A with I believe one or two exceptions. AoStH was also Region A.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  8. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    To answer some questions:

Cream Ending - Yes, I made 100% sure this was in there. What do you take me for?!
    Music - It's just some of the score instead, IIRC.
    Region Coding - It will be Region A.
    Mendinso - Is why the subtitles are so good.

Tanks and Quazza who are scene members also worked with me to restore the video, after having worked on the Sonic CD OP + ED with me for Sonic Origins.

Also we have the creditless ending 3, TOP, as an extra, which has never been released before IIRC.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Finally.

Random Engrish Sonic is best Sonic.

And just to remind people, the OFF COURSE songs were only ever in the original broadcast run.

They were immediately removed on the DVDs, and only the fansub versions kept them in as dual audio tracks, way, way back in the day.

This also only impacts episodes 26 and 52, as far as I recall.

• List
  10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Since it has been some years, I will once again state my hate for the second ending theme, which they used for all of Series 2.

11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Question for Brady:
    When you do a Japanese version release of a show after doing the dub, is there anything the company, in this case, Sega, look for or want you to do? Is there anything they're looking at before or after release besides sales numbers?

12. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Re: EP78 stuff.

Ahh, well, that's the French version, and this isn't the French release... If there's some legit audio track for 78 that relates to the Japanese version, though, let me know. Thank you for the info!

Re: Releasing stuff.

No, they really don't care about the order you release it in, generally. If they're okay with a Japanese version coexisting with the English, and in this case they were. This one was more of a case of getting permission to do it, and once we did that, will it sell? And then beyond that, figuring out the masters. Very complicated situation to get this release together.

I can't state this too much: if this doesn't sell after me pushing so hard for it for the past 4 years... I'll look like a complete an idiot. So please, BUY IT when it comes out. Please don't pirate it. I usually don't say things like this, but I can't understate how much work was put in to finally making this happen when subtitled versions of children's cartoons general sell very poorly.

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Sounds like you've put a lot of love into this release! Glad to hear the joke ED for Ep. 39 has been restored - I think I'm right in saying this'll be the first time that's been present outside of TV rips from the original airing!

Thanks also for clarifying about the region coding - I'm in Region B so will have to see if my Blu-ray player can be set to a region-free mode to play international discs. I know it can be for DVDs as I've already activated that - just not sure if that affects Blu-ray playback as well.

Re: Ep. 78 - am I right in thinking what will be on this release uses the 'finished' version of the visuals as seen in Japanese on streaming sites, then? Easiest way to tell is the characters' names are displayed in large on-screen lettering during the final sequence where it shows each character in turn. If so that's very exciting, as I don't believe the finished visuals have been used on any home release before now, since as mentioned above international licensees seem to have only been given the earlier unfinished version. There were a few minor animation/effects changes like this in some of the other episodes too - Episode 1's "Sonic Boom" sequence springs instantly to mind, which had a static background on TV but a different-coloured animated background on DVD - so I'm guessing what licensees received was what would have aired on TV had the final series been shown in Japan when it was originally produced, and the Japanese streaming version is likely a more polished version which would have appeared on any subsequent DVD release.

14. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Yes, the version of 78 we have is the finished version.

We actually knew about the the French version being unfinished since we looked at it to try to restore some footage, and then realized it was way different and couldn't be used. But also, including a full french episode as a bonus is a no-go.

I've been a scene member since rat.org/sonic existed, so this whole thing is a real surreal experience.

Also, I'm very tired so please excuse typos and grammar errors in my previous posts tonight.

15. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I meant more do they go "Ok, the dubbed version did this well, we want the Japanese version to do close to that."

Or, additionally, arethey not as lax with what you can add feature wise compared to the dubbed version. But what you mentioned is still insightful and I appreciate it!

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The Cheese ending was in the Netflix version but not the Hulu version.

• List
  17. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    The Hulu version was the international master, that's why. It's also missing a bunch of the writing in the backgrounds and a bunch of stuff. It's what was sent around to foreign licensors and what was intended to be dubbed. It was likely what 4kids had on hand to put up, and they probably didn't know it was somehow different from Japan's version.

(If you're curious why an international master would have japanese audio, it's usually as a reference for the dubbing.)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Guess that explains why the title cards and eyecatch cards were missing the text.

So 4kids were given blank cards for them to fill, and they still couldn't be arsed to translate them. What a surprise :V

19. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I recall someone who worked on the show back in the day saying that not only were signs that should actually feature text blank in the international master, but that 4Kids at least were never given any official reference for what should be written on them - this was in reference to the infamous scene in one episode (9 I think? Whichever was the beach one early on) where Sonic and Chris end up holding completely blank signs in the English dub. This lack of information may also have extended to the text for the eyecatch cards, though it's possible that 4Kids just made a conscious decision not to use those rather than not having the text available for translation.

Background signs, on the other hand, were likely blanked out for the international masters simply due to most of them just being gobbledigook with random letters strung together in bizarre sequences!

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Welp. If they gave 4kids blank eyecatch cards without references, then that's super sloppy. Though even if that was the case, it doesn't explain 4kids leaving out the title cards.