don't click here

Things to mirror

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  2. Gryson

Gryson

The Internet Archive is unfortunately not a reliable means of preservation. A lot of scanned materials have been removed in recent years due to DMCA takedown requests (such as many recent Famitsu scans).

PDFs are also an essential tool for researchers to use, since they can hold OCR text. The ability to quickly search reams of magazines for specific text FAR outweighs any small quality degradation that might occur when converting to PDF.

I understand your sense of ownership for the things you've scanned, and I agree that we can't lose the original scans in their highest quality. But there are a lot of different use cases for the scans. Both the OCRd PDFs on Internet Archive and the far, far superior organization of RetroCDN's PDFs make research a lot easier.

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    PDFs load faster, and are more widely supported and generally more convenient for the average user. They're also thumbnailable by the wiki software and can store JPEGs losslessly. There may be a way to store PNGs but I've never found a good one. I tried converting them to lossless JPEG2000 but that ended up being glitchy.

CBZs are easier to edit and can store PNGs. I actually prefer CBZs for PNG support alone, but there isn't a working extension for CBZ thumbnails.

Nobody should be using CBRs (as in renamed RAR files). They offer no advantage over CBZs and take twice as long to load.

4. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    This is why I said I have my stuff mirrored in MULTIPLE locations. And most importantly, I want my scans online. I frankly put more faith in my ability to keep my own scans available than I do in ANY website. I have no reason to put any faith in RetroCDN or any other website existing tomorrow, let alone years in the future, but I do have faith in my ability to keep my own scans available. I appreciate the sentiment, but I promise I don't need any help in this area.

I don't disagree, and I encourage anyone who wants to turn my scans into PDFs (OCRed or not) to do so at their leisure (it's very easy to do). I just ask that they not post those altered versions online to be downloaded by others.

This is interesting to me, as it's the first I've heard of it. May I ask what CBR reader you're using? Mine has no load times. Or rather, it loads the pages as you're viewing, so it only needs to load the page or two you're viewing while further pages are being loaded into cache. The end result being that there are no discernible load times. I've also never experienced any difference between CBR and CBZ (but speaking as someone with about 15 TB of comics, I can tell you that the vast majority of those are CBR.) There's no real difference between a CBR and CBZ, by the way. Techically, a CBR should be a collection of images that have been RARed while a CBZ should be ZIPed, but you could ZIP the files and save the extension as CBR (or vice versa) and they would open just the same.

Anyway guys, I'm not trying to argue the benefits of CBR vs PDF or suggest that one is better than the other. And I'm not telling anyone they can't change my files into PDFs or whatever other format they like. All I've asked is that my file not be altered and then uploaded elsewhere. My files will not disappear. I put way too much time and money into creating them to let them vanish. So they will always be available to download for free. I feel like I'm giving a fair amount while only asking this one small favor in return. And while it sometimes seems like the magazine scanning community and the magazine hosting community have different priorities, surely it would benefit everyone for the two to have amicable relations.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    IIRC the PDF standard has some kind of support for displaying JPEGs as-is, whereas with PNGs it has to convert them to something else, and that's a faff. A lot of the tools out there will convert the image to JPEG first, which isn't ideal, though IIRC some of the credits PDFs that have been uploaded to Sega Retro are genuinely lossless (though don't quote me on this) so it can be done.

There is one exception where it might be less of a problem - if it's a 2-colour black and white image. Although from the looks of things, you have to pay for more recent versions of the PDF standard, so maybe it's been addressed already.

6. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It may depend on the settings used by the compressor, but I imagine RAR is going to be slower to decompress than ZIP. For one thing, it uses solid compression which means you can't extract one file without decompressing others. Since JPEGs are already compressed there's no significant difference between storing them in RAR or ZIP archives. I'm using SumatraPDF, which loads PDFs instantly and CBZ/CBR with a delay (sometimes several seconds for large files). What are you using?

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I really like this sentiment because its the exact same focus we put on the wikis and was probably said verbatim several times throughout the years.

8. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    Then you understand where I'm coming from. Who better to ensure the quality and availability of a thing that the person/people who had the passion and put in the effort to create it in the first place?

I'm not sure if this is addressing what you're saying exactly, but RARs created with the intention of being a CBR should be using RAR 4 "normal" compression. Using the newer RAR 5 standard is frowned upon as certain readers do not support it. Possibly a file that opens slowly might be using the wrong settings? I download hundreds of CBRs per week (comics, mostly) and very rarely encounter a file that has been created incorrectly, since most people releasing scans or rips are familiar with the process of doing so correctly.

As for readers, I use https://www.cdisplay.me/. It's quite old and hasn't been updated since the developer died quite a few years ago, but it has the smallest footprint of any CBR reader and does everything I could need it to do with a few hotkey presses. As someone who reads multiple CBRs on a daily basis, I've tried quite a few readers, and have never found one yet that made me want to replace it. Still, not every reader is everyone elses' cup of tea, and there are certainly other readers with more bells and whistles. If you aren't a comic reader (there are literally ZERO comics released as PDFs) and are more familiar and comfortable with the way PDF readers handle files, adjusting to a CBR reader may take time (and vice versa.) And as I said, for me it loads quite fast. Meanwhile, my PDF reader takes an age to open the first time I try to open a PDF after booting my computer (subsequent files open faster after the program has been loaded into memory, so it's the reader that's at fault moreso than the format, but I open PDFs so rarely that I've never tried to shop around for a better (free) PDF reader.

9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
  10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    People with (old?) copies of Photoshop or whatever:

https://archive.org/details/redump-id-99038

A disc emerged a couple of weeks ago, and while it's labeled "Black Isle Ad", it actually has PAL Dreamcast packaging guidelines, with examples. The problem is most of the EPS files aren't converting properly for me - they may be genuinely corrupted, but it would be nice to know for sure (and have the contents uploaded to the wiki in a more suitable form if they're even remotely interesting).

[​IMG]

I did get the PDFs up there though (we already had this one).

Also there's a 1-6 players option. But doesn't the Dreamcast only have four ports (and no multi-taps)?

[​IMG]
    Well... there is this (supposedly real) prototype unit...

11. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I... don't have a torrent client installed and set up. But from my experience, EPS files are best opened with Adobe Illustrator.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Interesting follow-up:

[​IMG]
    Foxit Reader

[​IMG]
    Inkscape

[​IMG]
    Adobe Acrobat

I don't know why vector -> raster conversion is so difficult but nobody seems to be able to display these PDFs correctly. The wiki does it differently too - so much for standards. It's why I was thinking they might be optimised for earlier versions.

Except:
    [​IMG]

Nope, turns was an issue in 1999/2000 too. Stroke weighting on the "VGA compatible" icon is wrong on loads of boxes.

If you own PAL Dreamcast games like I do, you'll notice that the purply-blues aren't all the same. I assumed it was down to printing errors - now I'm thinking it's because the PDF each publisher was using sucked. Food for thought.

13. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    They were possibly optimized for printing. During my time as a graphic designer, I would often ask for a proof to see if the colours and whatnot all match up. The printed result would always stand above all and sometimes require some workarounds, which is probably the case here.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Some relevant technical documents were uploaded overnight:
    https://archive.org/details/@f15sim

...but I'm not sure where these documents are from, so I don't know how to categorise them.

Specifically:
    https://archive.org/details/sega-dreamcast-developers-conference-day-2-march-20-1999/mode/2up
    Slides from a presentation at the Dreamcast Developers Conference, with notes by... someone

https://archive.org/details/sega-cinepak-users-guide/mode/2up
    A Cinepak user's guide, complete with covering letter to a Mr. Hindorff (I think this might be Bill Hindorff of Tengen/Time Warner Interactive)

https://archive.org/details/sega-genesis-reference-sheets
    Some Mega Drive reference sheets. Produced by Tengen?

https://archive.org/details/sega-saturn-sgl-reference-structure-reference/mode/2up
    Sega Graphics Library documentation. Don't know if this came from Sega

https://archive.org/details/rbi-95-schedule/mode/1up
    RBI 95 Schedule. Which is definitely from Tengen

https://archive.org/details/pga-tou...ocument-for-ps-x-and-saturn-versions/mode/2up
    PGA Tour 98 development documents, which suggests a Saturn version was planned. NuFX? EA?

I could upload everything right now, but I don't want it to get lost.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I've noticed that VGMdb likes to hide scans. I'm sure there used to be more CD booklets - now you have to go hunting.

https://musicbrainz.org/

I found something a bit nicer. Case in point:

https://musicbrainz.org/release/919f1cb5-15fa-484c-840b-2bb2c4b22a36/cover-art
    vs
    https://vgmdb.net/album/2119

Space Channel 5 Part 2 Soundtrack Volume "Chu!!"

We're missing booklets (among inlays and spinecards and whatever), and booklets have credits.

There's 670 CDs to check, aka don't make me do it all

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I go see which of them are on MusicBrainz.

But first I'm gonna have dinner. Lol

18. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    2:
    • 2 Spicy Original Sound Track
    • 20 Thèmes Musicaux des Plus Gros Hits Saturn

7:
    • 7th Dragon 2020 & 2020-II Hatsune Miku Arrange Tracks
    • 7th Dragon 2020 Original Sound Track
    • 7th Dragon 2020-II Original Soundtrack
    • 7th Dragon III Code: VFD Original Soundtrack & Songs
    • 7th Dragon Original Soundtrack

A:

B:

C:

D:
    Stuff that's not on the list (?):
    After Burner II
    BORDER BREAK UNION ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK GRF
    BORDER BREAK UNION ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK EUST
    COTTON Original Soundtrack
    COTTON Reboot! Original Sound Track
    Cyber Troopers Virtual-On "Force" Official Sound Data - Marsinal
    VIRTUAL-ON REMIXES
    Cyber Troopers Virtual-On "Cyber Net Rhapsody" Episode #14
    Dennou Senki Virtual-On
    Daytona USA: Circuit Edition

I'll go through the rest tomorrow.

19. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    It's for the Game Gear: the first page mentions stereo panning (which is a feature unique to the Game Gear), page 10 talks about Z80 IO ports (which the Mega Drive's Z80 does not have... unless running in Master System mode, I think), and page 11 explains how to use the "game gear communications cable" (this cable?).

EDIT: While I'm here...

I believe Sonic Mega Collection had a high-quality version of the Sega chant too, though I'm not sure how it compares to this one.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Part two, E to L:
    E:

F:

G:

H:

I: