don't click here

This Song Sounds Like X

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shadix, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Thought that for years. Legit got them confused as a kid. My fave Sonic R song and my fave MJ song.

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member

:tinfoil: They're basically the same song.

3. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    I was trying my damndest to remember a song similarity that I wanted to share here and it just wasn't clicking, THEN I saw someone mention Zapp (one of my top 5 favorite bands) and Sky Chase (the song I was thinking of) a page or so back and I remembered!

While I hear a smidgen of the melody in 'Be Alright'. I think a case could also be made for this smooth cut from Troutman's 1990 solo album

The chords, the bass and to a lesser extent the melody. I was listening to 'Emotions' a few months back while at work and it hit me how much it reminded me of Sky Chase.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

They are the same song and sound like crap. Dimension Heist had spoiled me.

5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Music on the DS in general sounds like crap, but this one kinda grew on me. A raw and energetic song. ^^ Dimension Heist is good too. Sounds like something out of a cartoon show. ^^

6. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    So I was going through the Disney catalog of games, and World of Illusion's sound design sounded very familiar. Not the melodies, just the sound design.
    Then I checked the credits... and it all hit me:

(5:17, 7:58, 23:24, 42:16, 45:20)

(2:55, 14:40, 18:32, 37:59, 39:17)
    Ristar and World of Illusion share a composer! I'm not sure about the sound design front of things but a lot of the FM patches sound similar.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Major Boss - Sonic Triple Trouble (16-Bit) OST - YouTube
    This one's a bit over the place, but there's a bit at 20 seconds or so in Sonic Triple Trouble 16 Bit's Boss theme that I couldn't unhear as the bit at 2:00 in SIAMES' "No Lullaby" (I recommend you don't actually skip to that part though because it's a really good song + video)
    SIAMES ¨NO LULLABY¨ (Official Animated Video) - YouTube
    Since I've heard the Game Gear games took a lot of basic samples I assumed it was there in the original, and if it is I didn't look hard enough, but then I noticed the comments reffering to Nitro Fun/Hyper Potions' Checkpoint (AKA the Sonic Mania reveal trailer music)
    Nitro Fun & Hyper Potions - Checkpoint - YouTube
    I still believe that it's a basic sample, but I'm not sure who all was using a sample and who took inspiration from someone else, if it wasn't all just independent happenstance.

• List
  8. Dr Öl

Dr Öl

Sweden
    From 0:32, At dawn from Sonic Adventure sounds like You're my heart, you're my soul by Modern Talking.

9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Lol. I like M.T. :)
    This part of song also reminds me "Jump in my car" song at 0:55

10. tearsofxx

tearsofxx

Tomoko Sasaki you will always be famous! Member
    It makes sense, YMO did have a huge influence on a number of future composers who happened to compose for video games, including SEGA veterans Masato Nakamura and Yuzo Koshiro. There's a number of video game OST tracks with references to other tracks from YMO as well (go to 1:07:52 in the video):

R.I.P to Mr. Yukihiro Takahashi

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL

12. Dr Öl

Dr Öl

Sweden

A Swedish song from 2000 that was a national hit.

13. f2bnp

f2bnp

Throwing this one out here, it's been bugging me since I heard it yesterday:

Shanice - I Love Your Smile (0:10 and onwards)

Sonic CD - Quartz Quadrant Good Future (0:18 and onwards)

Is it just me or is the cowbell extremely similar if not sampled here? Shanice's track came out in late 1991.
    Am I reading too much out of it?

14. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I think they're both using the same percussion preset, likely a Korg M1 or Roland SoundCanvas, I'll check later. No one sampled either, just they are using the same instrument.

Doesn't help both drums are done in a Latin influenced style that was common in the early 90's.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  15. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I always thought this sounded like a Sonic song, turns out I was just early.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. grubbyplaya

grubbyplaya

The main melody 3 seconds in for both songs sound nearly identical to me, barring tempo. I never actually noticed until the 16-bit remake, where
    Rocket Metal Sonic is fought in an extremally similar arena to Dark Matter from Kirby's Dream Land 3.
    I don't think anyone else has pointed this out before.

• List
  17. f2bnp

f2bnp

I just noticed this earlier today:

Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana

Sonic R - Work it Out

Now, the obvious similarity which has been cited often for Peggy Gou's track is ATB's 9 PM, however I kept hearing something else. And then it clicked and I started laughing! Anybody else hear it? I wonder if Nightcrawler's - Push the Feeling On was an influence on both.

18. I was watching Alex Yard's Chaotix video today when he brought up the "Child's Song" music from Chaotix, which I hadn't heard in forever. But there was a surprisingly similar song I heard more recently, though...

(at 0:15 - I recommend setting this to 1.25x speed to really bring it home)

Child's Song, for reference:

It's not even close to 1:1, but the similar keys and structure make this probably the closest thing to this track ever getting used we'll ever see.

• List
  19. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Also "Odd March" from Billy Hatcher.

20. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    It was bugging me that parts of that melody sounded so familiar, then it hit me. I wonder if Timbaland and Justin Timberlake heard this song before they wrote "Sexyback".

That being said, one of my favorite Gladys Knight & The Pips tunes came on while I was at work today and I can't believe I missed it before.

While not 1:1, the first 45'ish seconds until the snares come in give some serious Marble Zone vibes. Same key and similar bass drum rhythm.

Not sure if it's been brought up in the past. And if it has — ummm oops? lmao

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023