don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I believe someone a while back connected part of it to one of the Sweet Mountain acts (the big square curve), but it is largely original, as is the daytime 3D one we've seen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. I have to say, I don’t dislike the extra height you can get from an air boost now; it’s one of the few things I found pretty fun to use in Forces. I just hope the level design properly accommodates it considering some stages like Mortar Canyon just let you bypass pretty much all of it.

3. Circlestar

Circlestar

SS Rank Tricks! Member
    I do wonder if there will be a mention of it in a hint popup or if they'll leave it as a "hidden" technique. In the right places it's super useful.

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    The problem with the air boost in Forces was that for some reason, Sonic's falling speed capped out extremely low compared to his max movement speed. It's one of the biggest physics issues with the game, and not one mods have been able to easily rectify.

It doesn't seem to be a problem in Frontiers though.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I think I remember reading somewhere it's been nerfed/removed tho, right?

6. I saw it in the most recent vid linked which is what prompted my post. I didn’t notice if it was nerfed and can’t look at the video at the moment.

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I mean, making Sonic actually accelerate properly when falling would inherently "nerf" it, as would him being slower. I don't know if it literally doesn't send him as high too, but I don't have a specific reason to believe they went out of their way to deliberately handicap the maneuver itself.

8. I just checked that video and it’s unclear whether or not the move was nerfed. The player doesn’t sustain the boost for long enough for me to see if the downward acceleration is increased.

If you’re (Shaddy) saying it doesn’t seem to be a problem from other footage, I’m guessing it’s been fixed but I haven’t paid attention to it myself. So I’m happy we’re keeping the little vertical boost without having it function basically like a flight mechanic.

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I just mean we've seen Sonic jump from high places in this game before, and he definitely falls faster than in Forces.

10. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member

Apparently you're unable to homing attack Classic springs, but you are able to homing attack the Modern springs. Such a minute detail, but I wonder what sort of ramifications this could have on gameplay.

Reminds me of the color coding of the springs in the Classic games.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  11. Circlestar

Circlestar

SS Rank Tricks! Member
    That's one way to make sure you can't depend on your homing attack to hit those springs. Gotta aim for them just like the classics.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think that’s a good addition, gives both kinds of springs a purpose

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm not against this in principle but Sonic in 3D space has always had problems with precision platforming, that's why the homing attack was created in the first place. These will be harder to use in non-2D areas.

14. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    They've only been seen in the 2D cyberspace levels so far. so chances are they're ONLY used in 2D to get around that.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fair enough, that would actually make sense.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the only game that used classic springs in 3D was lost world, and only when they were hidden, otherwise I think they’ve been exclusive to 2D since Generations.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm all for reducing the automation and having more non-homing-attackable stuff. Even in 3d.

Besides, if these become too hard to hit without the HA, they could just put multiple springs next to each other.

18. Frostav

Frostav

I appreciate any attempt to have actual platforming in 3D Sonic games. I've always enjoyed what little intense platforming is in them, honestly, even if the controls are a bit slippery.

19. Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  20. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I assume this game will have a lot of tracks for the open world alone, which is why it's so big. Daytime/nighttime variations, more variations according to things like the weather, combat music of course, etc etc. The mastering work taking so long essentially confirms to me that the 150 tracks aren't taken up by a bunch of jingles like some have suggested, it's probably mostly actual tracks.

Either that or there are 70 unique tracks for the fishing minigame or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.