don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Judging by leaks and what we've heard from people who worked on it the game was delayed way past the original planned release date because of BSG's issues with porting it.

Tyson Heese mentioned on here that with games like Sonic a delay could end up meaning the game has to risk not being on storeshelves for long after originally planned, even with a delay, because stores are already getting loaded with kids stuff for Christmas season and the like.

It stinks things ended up like this but hopefully SEGA vets these developers better in the future, or just go in house if it seems too much for them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I played through the Switch version after the most recent patch, and while it still is far from perfect, it's more stable and playable than it was before. If you have the means to play it on another platform, that's your best bet (the other versions are currently in about the state they should have been in at launch), but the Switch version is...fine, I guess. The biggest thing for me is the jump height. It's not a game breaker at all, but it's still absolutely baffling to me how Sonic doesn't jump as high as he should in just the Switch version of the game. That should have been fixed immediately, but I guess they either didn't notice it on their end or it just wasn't deemed important enough to fix.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. President Zippy

President Zippy

Zombies rule Belgium! Member
    As someone who has ported software between PPC and ARM arch professionally, I really don't understand how this project could need more than 2 man-years. The only hard part is porting ancient Wii shaders to the Switch, similar to porting OpenGL code to Vulkan. The rest of it is just OS and input driver drudgery.

This doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, so I think I'll just install Windows, use it to run Dolphin, and quit my bellyaching.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A few mods do a lot to fix Colors Ultimate on the PC at the very least.

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I’d say Colors Ultimate’s worth it if you’re willing to sacrifice a bit of the Wii version’s polish for better performance and some quality-of-life improvements. And, of course, mods for the PC version.

6. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    Worth noting that the modding community has already grown quite stagnant (at least on Game Banana) and besides True Colors (the mod that does reordering of the stages in Egg Shuttle so that all the filler levels are moved to the end of the game), it's mostly cosmetic mods (mostly character model, texture, material or lighting mods) or audio mods. I hope when this comes out on Steam eventually, that will reinvigorate the modding community.

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I mean, what's our metric? The amount of technical stuff that can be done with a given Sonic game is pretty varied, presentation changes comprise most of all Sonic mods. Sure, the adventure games get lots of crazy stuff, but they've been out for decades, and even then I haven't seen any major game-changing stuff from then for at least a few months (and frankly, half of the most ambitious mods for Sonic games are just to turn them into other Sonic games...). Lost World modding was considered dead for a long time, then we got the DLC restoration. I think the only 3D Sonic that consistently gets new things that aren't just audiovisual is Generations.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea that's true, but thankfully the mods mentioned fix most of the games glaring problems like the lighting and Sonic's model in general being rather jank. They don't add much content wise but they're good unofficial bug fixes.

Also SA2 has had some great character mods lately fixing some of the worse elements of all the characters, even mechless Tails and Super Sonic. There have been some cool technical mods too, like dynamic cameras, smoother wall collision, mission 4 becoming mirror mode, and the chao garden has been heavily expanded on (they gave one garden a day night cycle that's kinda insane). I've been playing SA2 with mods on lately and I'm having a far better experience than ever with that game.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • List
  9. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I just realised it's been a year since this game's release and nobody cares.

Happy 1st Ultimate, you're alright in my book.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Because it's not on Steam yet.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'm honesty surprised there's been no word on a Steam release. Granted, I suppose the numbers that would pull in would likely be heavily compromised due to the initial negative press, but I digress. Still, funny how the game's long term potential has been crippled by decisions to rush it out the door for the sake of short term profit. Some kind of temporal anomaly, surely...

12. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
  13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I doubt it since even a game like Hades had problems at first when it was put on Epic. Whatever released on Steam was seen as the default so the same would been seen with Colors.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I imagine that if it's going to come to Steam, we'll see it in the Spring or Summer of 2023 so that there's technically a Sonic release to fill up the schedule. Usually, these things fire off right as the assumed year exclusivity ends, but this close to Frontiers I imagine they don't want any distractions.

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Katie confirmed on a YouTube livestream it’s coming to Steam. Publishers usually sign for a one-year exclusivity deal with Epic. The deal probably expires today so we’ll likely hear about the Steam version soon.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Except Hades ended up garnering very, very good press afterwards due to its intrinsic merits as a game. Colours Ultimate is, of course, not really new nor revolutionary anymore. My point of view is that it would've been picked up on the brand, but the masses likely don't know to what extent the game was fixed up (and let's be real, it wasn't really enough).

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This game came out a year ago? Damn time flies.

18. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Hades was on Epic in early access, an extremely early access at that as it had a later early access release on Steam too, before then getting its 1.0 release like a year later (hence why it then blew up in sales, because the game's done). And it wasn't just that it was on in an extremely early state, it was that it was one of the first games to ever be on EGS, so it was a combination of people not wanting to trial a new storefront and also not wanting to burn themselves out on a game a few years before it ever comes out.

I tend to see people forget this a lot, probably because it was the first time, ever, that Supergiant ever released a game in early access, but it had a purpose, which was that the Epic deal gave them a financial cushion while they worked on a very risky and ambitious game (hence the early access, because they needed more info to correctly balance the game as opposed to their prior titles, on account of how huge it is). But yes, I can't emphasize this enough, Hades had a few years of Early Access and the earliest period of this was as an Epic exclusive before it then got a Steam early access release too, when they felt the game was good/stable enough to accommodate even more eyeballs on it.

19. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Wish they'd patched this game at least once more before being done with it. It's a fun game but the load times and jump height in the Switch version were unsatisfactory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. soulsera

soulsera

2D Sonic Enjoyer Member
    Agreed, and I feel the same about Origins. It's like the teams patched just enough to make it a way better playing experience but stopped right at the finish line just so it could be mildly frustrating to anyone that notices the rest of the things because now everyone else is under the impression that things are patched up LOL. They're both very close to being satisfactory games and I think Colors Ultimate in particular cane a very long way but I wish they put a liiiitle more time into it.