don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    come to think of it, you mentioning this made me immediately think of the original Phantasy Star, which is 100% Grade-A batshit, albeit played straight. The main character is a sword-wielding fantasy heroine in a soft sci-fi world that takes place on multiple planets but has dragons and shit in it.

maybe not coicidentally, Oshima and Naka both worked on that, and Naka worked on at least the second one as well too (the battle transitions even use the same ones as Sonic).

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It appears that a new music track has appeared online, known simply as "Theme of Starfall Islands." It's six minutes long, the same track we heard in early previews. It sounds a bit more heavy here, with added percussion and sound effects.

It's not available to play on Spotify in some regions.

https://lnk.to/sonicfrontiers_ep

E: Vocaroo upload

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Oh dear. Apparently those speed sliders don't affect how cyberspace levels play, only the overworld.

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I actually quite like that speed. Seems like it'd be useful for platforming. I'd say it's the person playing the game's fault that they weren't using the dedicated "go fast" button as much as possible :V

5. Kind-of figured that was gonna be the case.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Nice to see Big again and I appreciate that his dialogue conveys his lax and slow nature rather than suggesting he’s just an absolute cabbage. Not to say Big isn’t dense, but from the text on screen, I get the impression it’s been scaled back a bit to let him be a bit more of a character rather than a singular joke. I’m surprised that you’ll be using cyberspace gates to enter the fishing mini game, I figured he’d just pop up in a few places on the world map.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. Fuck it, I actually loved this. It's nice to have a long song again (without looping), we didn't had that since Sonic 2006? I actually liked the fact Sonic 2006 soundtrack were based on non-looped tracks, like Crisis City and Kingdom Valley. I think that will only count for islands themes tho', I assume bosses and cyberspace will have like the normal 2-4-minute tracks we usually have in another games.

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Some low-quality Sky Sanctuary with the vocal song music and audio that is definitely not synched with what's on-screen. And god do I hate that jumps in Cyberspace lose all speed entirely.

9. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    in the Japanese dialogue and voiceover for Sonic Adventure I always got the impression that Big was just supposed to be a laidback and carefree guy (his theme song is literally called "Lazy Days"), but for some reason in the English dub they turned him into a one-dimensional dumb guy. No disrespect to Jon St. John but I always wondered why they gave him that voice lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I do actually love the voice a lot, I just don't like when characters are made excessively stupid to the point of being too dumb to function (GOKU). I've no problem with Big being dense, I just don't want him to be so dense that he makes me want to tear off my ears.

11. Its a similar problem Knuckles has had since Dan Green was his voice actor, where they gave him the most stereotypical "tough guy" voice ever. Its not wrong per se, since Knuckles is supposed to be a tough guy, but his voice direction for the English dubbing comes off as way more generic.

I'm not a voice acting expert or anything, and this is mostly down to preferences, but the English voice direction for these characters has never been particularly good.

The voice director probably got a brief description about Big and interpreted it that he's supposed to be the typical "big, dumb, strong character". I remember Ryan Drummond said a lot of the voice directing back then was extremely vague and nondescript.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  13. Snowbound

Snowbound

14. I honestly kinda hope SEGA will release the OST in the same day of the game, because they are really teasing the soundtrack hard right now lol. Now I want to listen to the whole thing already, goddamn it.

15. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Wowie-wowa! That Sky Sanctuary song sounds really terrific, based on that shoddy youtube clip. THIS is what a Sonic game should sound like! Electronica, reminiscent of Sonic CD (USA OST), not rock and emo. I'm hoping it has much more like this *chef's kiss*!

16. Doubt it, but I hope we'll have Drum 'n' Bass songs in cyberspace levels, like the ones we had in Sonic 2006, Unleashed, Colors and Lost World. I really miss these songs.

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Either I don't get english slang, or you're insulting one of my favourite games ever. :colbert:

And yes, they took the concept of "Dragon Quest mixed with Star Wars" to the limit.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    "Batshit" means absolutely bonkers. Crazy. Fucking insane. Can be good or bad depending on context but I think here it's a term of endearment.

19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    So that's the good shit then, or at least can be. The only thing I know about "batshit" is what D&D says about it: it's a component for a fireball spell. :eng101:

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I forget where he said it, but to paraphrase his account of things it pretty much seemed like "I was asked to come in and try some voices, I did this one as a joke and they actually wanted it".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List