don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Headcanon Thread of Lore and Time Stones

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlackHole, Aug 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

- Radiant Emerald from Sonic R is set in the special stages' dimension. That's why it looks so surreal even by classic Sonic standards.

- Aside from S3K, Knuckles was never truly fooled by Eggman's lies. Deep down he realized that this one was full of shit and Sonic was the good guy, but he told himself that Eggman was sincere so that he had an excuse to fight Sonic for fun, as facing worthy opponents makes him feel alive and help combat the monotony and loneliness of his life as the Master Emerald's guardian.

- Chao were born from the Chaos Emeralds' energy and the water on the Emerald Altar. Chao have been officially linked and likened to water multiple times (not to mention that Chaos and Chaos Chao are obviously made of water), and it's canon that the Emeralds give energy to all kinds of lifeforms and make nature flourish. When the Emeralds were sealed within that altar (up until the Knuckles Clan attempted to seize them), they remained confined in a single place for a long time without scattering, so their life-giving energy became concentrated in that spot and produced a new lifeform.

- Speaking of which, the people that sealed the emeralds and put the barrier there were the survivors of the Fourth Great Civilization, in an attempt to ensure that they wouldn't be used to cause a cataclysm like the Gizoid incident again.

- On the subject of the Fourth Great Civilization, this one originally prospered by using the power of the Chaos Emeralds, which led to their advanced technology and eventual creation of Gizoid. After they fell to this one, they lost their advanced society and technology and nearly went extinct. The Knuckles Clan are their descendants, which rose back to power under Pachacamac's rule (per "Chaos Emerald Legend"). The connection is hinted by the altar being next to their city, as well as Tikal's grandma knowing about the "Chaos is power..." thing, suggesting it was more common knowledge among them during the olden days.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I have two headcanon ideas about chaos emeralds that I think belong in this thread.

1. Each island has its own set of chaos emeralds that scatter and seal themselves away again when used - that's why they have different shapes in each game.
    • Between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic is collecting the chaos emeralds in another, less important adventure (possibly from another game we've already seen, possibly one not yet shown) which gets interrupted and de-prioritised when he hears of Eggman starting shit on Angel Island. Sonic rushes over in Super form with whatever island's emeralds he had at the time, and Knuckles steals that set (but leaves the Angel Island set in the special stages).
    • The Time Stones are just the Little Planet's set of Chaos Emeralds. Sonic could use them to turn Super, he just doesn't.
    2. The chaos emeralds were originally sealed on seven different islands (deliberately, by the ancient echidnas after the Chaos fiasco). Eggman found the first emerald, perhaps accidentally, and used (or possibly was corrupted by) its power; when used, the emeralds fly to the location of the next nearest unused emerald. Eggman follows them from island to island, using their power to destroy islands and rebuild them in his image, with South Island being island #6 in his quest. This time Sonic gets in his way and collects the emeralds himself, using them to restore the island, but they still fly to the final unused emerald on Westside Island. This means that Eggman has corrupted at least five islands prior to Sonic 1.

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    ^So, which one will you choose? Because they don't seem to be compatible.

Of course, and I'll demonstrate that by noticing in your picture that you chose the Grass-type starter and I'm the rival who has to choose the fire or the water-type one.

Of course, that's not headcanon, is it?

I'm with that theory of saying Sonic games are a big gay story and that Knuckles is in love with Sonic but he doesn't one to accept those feeling and thus accepts any excuse he has to find an enemy in him, because he doesn't want to be attached to someone else that would distract him from fulfilling his duty, and of course because that lets him emotionally vulnerable. Same goes for Sonic, who uses taking care of his sidekick as an excuse instead of an ancient duty. Well, I may have messed up details, I can't remember the story well.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Of course. They're two competing theories that are both (mostly) compatible with what we see in the games, just not with each other.

I think I prefer the first one just because it means '06 can still exist (and erase itself from existence), as well as Fighters and Spinball with their extra emerald counts, without any additional handwavery.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    So maybe in Sonic the Fighters, someone temporarily got their mits on Elise's emerald...

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    If the colors mean anything, that wouldn't work I guess. There weren't 2 emeralds of the same color.

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Ah, true true.

Then again, if colors matter, then the number of Emeralds is the least of Fighters' Chaos Emerald problems: no grey, no cyan; orange, pink, and magenta. Sonic 2's colors also don't work with future games: pink, but no blue.

8. netscapenow

netscapenow

My headcanon is that the Chaos Emeralds actually cycle through the colour spectrum like Hyper Sonic, but extremely slowly. This explains the inconsistencies, and the reason there's only 6 in Sonic 1 is because the seventh was just lying on the ground while being the same shade of green as the grass and Sonic and Eggman couldn't spot it :V

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Gerald had a Chaos Emerald 50 years ago, which he developed the Chaos Drives from. Sonic Battle further confirms it as he brought it near Emerl and it reacted.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

But what does it have to do with the missing 7h Chaos Emerald? I mean, he didn't take it to his grave, it probably scattered away eventually.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It means we have a Chaos Emerald active at least 50 years ago, meanwhile we have a Chaos Emerald missing recently.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Perhaps we could speculate that GUN recovered the Chaos Emerald from Gerald and kept it safe for 50 years. That still wouldn't explain why it was found on West Side Island.

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Let me try:

1) Gerald visits Westside Island and finds one of the emeralds.

2) Some not-Knuckles-maybe-Longclaw else takes the remaining emeralds to a new island to protect them after one's been stolen.

3) The Ark incident releases the lonely emerald, which returns to its home to find itself alone.

4) Years after, Doc reads about the jewel Gerald had and tries to find it along with the rest of them, finding South Islands because 6 of them is a stronger signal than just 1.

5) Sonic collects them, releases them, they go back to their home and find their lost sister.

6) The rest of the games not labeled '06.

And of course chaos emeralds change their colour constantly, haven't you paid attention in the special stages of the first game? They are chaos, no reason to be static or follow rules when you're a lifeforce.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    G.U.N. could have also stumbled upon it and shipped it to the ARK, since they may as well send a gem of unfathomable power to their premier scientist.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Oh I had a headcanon about the missing 7th Chaos Emerald. Before knowing that Sonic Pocket Adventure wasn't canon, this is how I imagined the plot:

The 7th Chaos Emerald was trapped in Never Lake and nobody knew. The games were supposed to go like Sonic 1 (GG and MD) --> Sonic 2 (GG) --> all the other Game Gear games with 6 Emeralds. Then the Master Emerald shown Knuckles the location of the 7th Chaos Emerald in Never Lake. He went there, found it, and swore to protect it as a mission given by the Master Emerald itself. So not Eggman and not even Sonic should put their hands on it, and then the events of Sonic Pocket Adventure happened.

However, way prior these events, Amy Rose was reading fortunes on her tarot cards and had a revelation of Knuckles finding the Emerald. At that time, she didn't even know who Knuckles was, and she thought she should find the gem first (because the cards told her where it was). After she found it, the events of Sonic CD happened and she lost the Emerald, which flew away towards West Side Island. The other Emeralds then went to West Side Island as well, and Sonic 2 (MD) happened. Thus a split timeline in your face.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Or Gerald Robotnik found the first emerald when they were originally scattered on seven different islands.

17. Gnidel

Gnidel

- Sonic fixed the moon at the end of Sonic Advance. He fixed them using Chaos Emeralds like in Sonic 1 and then spent few days there recollecting them to return to Earth.

- Sonic Mania was about Sonic, Tails and Knuckles running around Angel Island, tripping from Phantom Ruby. They weren't teleported at all.

- Eggman locked up Sonic in Forces instead of killing him to make him run on threadmill to power Death Egg, and consequently, Phantom Ruby. After his escape, Egg Pawns had to run on the threadmill (as seen at the end of Death Egg Death Egg). The running on threadmill for hours was something that Rouge considered a torture, while it was a training for Sonic that helped him in rematch against Infinite.

- Team Sonic Racing happens before Forces. Zavok is a Phantom Ruby clone and Silver stayed there after the races to take part in the revolution against Eggman.

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Solaris is actually from the Sol Dimension, and was entrusted to humans of Sonic's dimension a long time ago. That happened because Solaris became a serious threat since he could absorb the power of the Sol Emeralds. Those humans then founded the city of Soleanna and kept Solaris safe up to 06.

19. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    A handful of my own headcanons, a couple adopted from fanfics:

Knuckles hatched alone on Angel Island, and prior to the events of Sonic 3, had never met another being, human or mobian. So how was he able to communicate right away when Eggman showed up, let alone learn about the history of his island? Simple: the Master Emerald. After discovering it by chance, it spoke to him in his dreams, enlightening him, teaching him not only how to read, but to understand the scriptures and murals left by his ancestors, and ultimately understand his reason for being. (This, however, was only after spending the first 7 years of his life vainly and despairingly searching the island for other echidnas, to the point of despair.)

Years of fighting Eggman and his robots have made Sonic quite a seasoned fighter, and under his quills and fur, he actually has quite a few scars to back it up.

Once he's fully grown, Tails will actually be a bit taller than Sonic. It won't do anything to keep Sonic from pulling the big brother card, however.

Drowning in and of itself it not a pathological phobia of Sonic's; he has a healthy and normal fear of it like anyone else that can't swim. What DOES terrify him is the idea of drowning in a confined space.

Pedro Araujo explored something like this in his animated take on Sonic 3 and Knuckles. In his case, the bulk of the Knuckles campaign was him cleaning up what he had been led to believe were malfunctioning Eggrobos, while Mecha Sonic still occurred after the main story.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2022
  20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Little animals also talk (or, at least, communicate) and the ones on the island were his friends, so I suppose he has some form of social life like the one of that Disney princess. In any case, I'd suppose Tikal would have been the actual teacher.