don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Considering the bullying had stopped by the time Tails met Sonic at the start of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive), according to it's manual, no. If anything, that's another change in Sonic Origins.

Also, the manual actually addresses that:

He was just happy enough following Sonic around all day, before Robotnik blew up the forest.

Then you missed a good few months of this thread: I would bring up the Phantom Ruby plot issues every so often, drag up quotes showing that Two Worlds wasn't a thing and express irritation at the lies about Iizuka inheriting it from Naka, etc.

Or I was pissed about being called delusional and snarking at you. Amazingly enough, people don't like being insulted. Shocker, I know.

I'm fairly certain I've mentioned several times people are free to their own opinion, and I will be happy to calmly talk with people and say "alright, that's fair", even if I disagree.

Oh look, me disagreeing but saying "I disagree, but yeah, that's a fair opinion/interpretation."

If I were belittling people for something, it wouldn't be implicitly, I'd be upfront about it: I'm aspergic, I don't do subtle, if you haven't noticed by the repeated tangents on Sonic Origins, Sonic Forces, etcetc. I'll be snarky, yes, but anyone who knows me can tell you I'm just a very sarcastic person.

2. Not gonna lie, sometimes it's very tiring to read this thread.

3. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    The link doesn't seem to be working.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm quite unsure about how Sega is going to present the new canon timeline. Since almost every game is canon now, it's a very long timeline to be presented in a Tails Tube. Maybe a new encyclopedia is coming?

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    That would be unfortunate given how we just got the Encyclo-speed-ia for the 30th anniversary. I wonder what the lead time was between that and the recent continuity fixes? At any rate, I think the best thing to do would be to just publish a concise, standalone timeline on the official website/Twitter/whatever. That way it's accessible to everyone and doesn't make the Encyclo-speed-ia feel as outmoded as a product.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

If this new classic canon is making people lose their minds, imagine when they try to fix the 06/Rush/Rivals mess.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly I really think BlackHole's suggestion regarding 06 and Rush makes the most sense (that being that 06 takes place before Rush with the Sol Emeralds sending Blaze to Sonic's future, for those unfamiliar), though does raise the questions as to where the Sol Emeralds would've been during the events of 06. Granted, Rivals is still screwy given Eggman Nega's conflicting backstory, but if you place both Rivals games after both Rush games then you could maybe say that Nega pretended to be an alternate dimension Eggman in order to get the measure of the original those two times he worked with him before deeming him unsalvageable and dropping the act. I don't think that's particularly satisfying but there's really no way to properly reconcile things as they are now.

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Yes, my take on this part of the timeline was always that. I just don't know if this is going to be the canon explanation. Mainly because Ian doesn't quite like it.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Honestly, Nega always confused me in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.

Like, he was the only 'alternate dimension' counterpart that was <person> Nega. Blaze and Marine aren't Blaze Nega and Marine Nega, they're the Sol Emeralds not the Chaos Nega Emeralds, and there isn't a Blaze Posi and Marine Posi running around the Chaos Dimension, why is Robotnik the only one with a universal counterpart like that? Turns out the answer was "he doesn't."

The fact he comes from the future with the intent of negating Robotnik's losses and restoring his family legacy actually made perfect sense to me.

My personal headcanon on that matter is that he came back and decided to give his great great (great great?) grandfather a couple of chances and help him out, to see if he can restore Robotnik directly. When they fail twice, he just flat out turns on Robotnik and tries to remove him and his defeats from history outright, like you suggested. I'll dump that into the headcanon thread next dump I do, I have way too many headcanons for this series.

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I can’t find the backup of the 4chan thread but I’ve read it enough that I can clearly remember what information it had: Sonic’s world and earth are different worlds separated by a gate, only male hedgehogs have super forms, super emeralds aren’t canon, Blaze can travel to Sonic’s world using her scepter, Mobius exists but is basically Sonic’s world’s equivalent of Mars, and… I’m pretty sure that was it. It was never officially confirmed but most of the new (at the time) info was later corroborated by people at Sega. The Mobius thing in particular always seemed weird to me until I realized it might have been a Spinball reference.

Yeah… I thought maybe relagating certain posts to a separate headcanon thread might lighten things up so to speak, but it hasn’t improved around here much.

12. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    The suggestion alone of Eggman having children is disturbing, no matter which is the canon for Nega.

And again, BlackHole can be tiring at times, but the rest of things you're infering from his words doesn't look real to me. While I may agree that some of those comments are out of place when the headcanons were sent to a different thread, the fact is, more or less, Sega before didn't care about the canon, and now they care so they can get better at ruining it. I'll pitch them the concept of Sonic Forces happening before Sonic 2, they sure will find it a genius idea.

13. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I really don’t feel like any of the changes they’ve made to canon, no matter how much I may disagree with them, “ruin” it as much as the two worlds thing and to a lesser extent classic sonic suddenly being from another dimension did. But I guess it’s all relative.

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    That's about all every other source I've found says.

I honestly still don't quite understand the "mobius is mars" thing, even if they wanted Spinball to be canon, there's probably better explanations than "make it a single planet we only ever visited for one game". although I think maybe another explanation is that's how they would've interpret(ed?) Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and the folks of beanville (which doesn't even fit in with Adventures of Sonic...)

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    At times? Weird, usually I'm constant.

To be, I preface the headcanon comments as such and say I'll differ them to the appropriate thread.

Oh, god, no, those two were the worst offenders and I'm glad they're gone. At the same time, I view it as a snowball issue: it'll start small but it's going to get bigger as time goes on. We'll simply have to see how things play out.

Subspace, such a useful tool with confirmed sentient beings living there on some sort of planet...

Though with the manuals up in the air and subspace never really being a thing past the classic era, I'm not sure if subspace will be a canonical thing any more. Especially if they're using US manuals to put games elsewhere on the timeline, looking at you Tails' Adventure.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  16. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    yeah we see this being referenced in the recent idw sonic 2022 annual

17. Pengi

Pengi

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I've got some bad news...

19. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    that doesn't actually say sonic x is canon, only how the two worlds thing works and the fact there being a human/sonic character split means they can easily add chris thorndyke into the games, which is nothing new either
    of course, saying this is assuming that the guy who wrote that post was misconceived about the entirety of sonic x being canon as opposed to some elements that first appeared in it

20. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Quote: "All of the backstory, was still the backstory. And if it didn't make sense, we just don't talk about it. But there is no contradicting of it."

"Yeah so this is a completely different Knuckles, and so you know maybe that whole Chaos Emerald stuff doesn't exactly make sense with our version of Knuckles. But we would never touch on that whatsoever. The Continuity is not something we would ever get to play around with."

"We definitely talked about this when Shadow comes up, where, who is Shadow in this universe? Where did he come from? Is it the same canon as always? The answer is yes, but we're not allowed to mention it. So we just had to have him pop up and go oh look Shadow's here. There were a lot of limitations in that way on certain characters, Shadow being one of them."
    Time: 19:53