don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. No, if you're gonna buy a PS5 for no other reason than Sonic, you're better off just getting it on Switch. That is if you lack a powerful PC.

2. Kyro

Kyro

Gotta echo the sentiments of the others here. Even as someone very excited for frontiers, a whole ps5 JUST for it doesnt seem worth it. I would invest that money in at least a decent pc if nothing else if you really want to take the chance to upgrade, otherwise I think the switch version should be at least fine.

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm going to go with PC as well, another bonus of having that are the mods that are going to be created for the game.

They always add life once you're done with the game. Or might fix something you don't particularly like.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

It’s your money but if I were you I’d wait for the game to come out and see how it’s performing on different consoles and pc. It would suck to make an expensive purchase prior to frontiers only to get the 2nd worst version of the game (after the switch version of course)

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I feel the graphical fidelity is going to be very important to me, so the Switch version isn't an option. If I sell the PS5 when I'm done with it, I should be able to get at least 80% of my money back, I assume. The PC suggestion makes good sense too, but only if I want to keep it after the game, which I don't, and also, I only use Macs in my household for congruity/continuity purposes, and I dislike Parallels. I suppose I was hoping someone knew of a "rent-a-PS5-service" or something. That would be ideal. Thanks again.

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Pre-ordered on Switch. While probably not the best choice, I figured it would be more interesting since I barely use my Switch outside of playing smaller titles. Pls don't @ me.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    If Sonic goes Super on every island what would they do for the final boss? It's not like they'll have the Super Emeralds and Hyper Sonic in it.

8. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I don't think there's any chance the ps5 version of Frontiers will be anywhere close to the bottom in terms of performance.

It's the one I'm getting and Sonic Team, for its flaws, would never mess up this bad. Especially when they're all using the Hedgehog engine 2 just upgraded and downgraded accordingly.

9. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I'll very much get this game for PS5, buuuuuuuuuut I'll probably buy a copy of the PS4 version; because of the "PS5 upgrade" feature, I'll technically have two games for the price of one! :eng101:

Also, I might be the most unorthodox PS5 user out there, since I mostly bought it to comfortably play my PS4 games :V

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Sonic frequently fights final bosses without transforming into Super at all. I don't see what difference it really makes whether he's the same form as in other parts of the game or not.

11. I've pre-ordered for PS5. I totally get the desire to want to get a PS5 just for one game you're interested in — if it's not a matter of budget, then why not? I essentially decided to upgrade to PS5 solely for Gotham Knights and Sonic Frontiers.

If Frontiers is good, I'll probably double-dip on Switch for the portability.

12. Mana

Mana

Sonic not fighting the final bosses in Super was actually SUPPOSED to be the surprise back in Colors. because we had gotten used to seeing that every time, now that it's become the norm seeing him go Super against the BOSSES in this game would be the surprise.

I think if you had him use Super against everyone, including the final boss, some people might think it's boring. But iirc the leak that ended up being almost 100% right from last year said he uses a new form in the final fight so I guess we'll wait and see.

13. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I mean, I do understand the concern. Sonic games have historically ran like dog shit on Playstation. The PS2 in general was horrible for Sonic and the PS3 versions of 06 and Unleashed were far inferior to their 360 counterparts, with 06 looking and running worse and Unleashed having extremely unstable performance.

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

Has the Gamecom embargo been already lifted?
    No new stuff seems to have come up until now...

15. Mana

Mana

Taking out the part I posted about the Hedgehog Engine 2, which runs fine on Playstation consoles. with Forces on PS4 probably running the best changes what I said completely, and is also extremely weird.

I also meant that Sonic Team wouldn't mess up and make the next gen version worse, not that they don't have the capability to mess up ports on similar hardware power in the same generation. I didn't make a single argument you're posing.

16. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    New "overview" video on the official channel:

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  17. Kyro

Kyro

The narration in this is a better story trailer than the "story" trailer

18. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    It was lifted 2 days ago and we got that new footage of Ares and a new boss fight less than an hour later.

Also re:PS5, if you really don't want to own the game and just wanna play it til you're done with it, look for a local Rent-A-Center or something similar that offers tech rentals. The prices are pretty gross, but it's far less than buying. Alternatively, maybe buy a used PS5 and sell it immediately after for around the same price, as long as you don't damage it. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a buyer lol

19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Just keep the PS5 lol. Not worth it to buy it just to beat own game and then return it. There are a lot of worthwhile experiences on the PS5 that aren't Sonic Frontiers. Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Elden Ring, the list goes on

Speaking of, why didn't they start their marketing like this. Just boggles the mind.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No single game is worth buying a console for, I don't care what it is. I've never bought a system for a single title in three decades of gaming. PS5 I will pick up when there's at least 2, if not three, games I actively want for the thing.

As for the trailer: more of what we've seen so far. The autocombo thing at least will remove the button mashing frustration, but you still have to do the grinding regardless.