don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Yea, there are lot more games nowadays to choose from and that Arcadey style has kind of fallen out of favor. Its why fighting games struggle to find an audience because that Arcade style is built into their design, but many people just do not have the incentive to learn the ins and outs and just drop them before long.

Its why fighting game devs lower the floor of entry by automating a lot of the learning process, but at the cost of the game's core appeal with the hardcore base (sound familar).

Part of the reason I love Sonic is because of that Arcade style found in fighting games and it really frustrates me to see it slowly sucked out for the sake of mass market appeal.

2. MH MD

MH MD

outside of lttp, all of them are portable\side games

so no they do not count. :colbert:

3. Pengi

Pengi

The Game Boy (Color) Zelda games weren't open world. You had some freedom to go a little off course, but all the dungeons had to be played in order, and access to areas of the map unlocked in a set order.

A Link to the Past didn't give you quite as much freedom as Zelda 1 either. A Link Between Worlds was the most open and non-linear Zelda game between Zelda 1 and Breath of the Wild.

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

A Link to the Past was pretty open. You could freely explore most of Hyrule after the starting mini-dungeon. The Dark World was even more open and you could do its dungeons in any order aside from the first and last.

The Game Boy games were super linear, though. Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker were more open, though probably not enough to qualify as open world.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I don't really think that matters.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    What does open-world even mean? Does it require BOTH an interconnected world and the ability to do things in a non-linear order, or just one of those? If you can do things out of order but still HAVE to do a majority of them, does that change things?

7. We're getting a lot of shit apparently:
    upload_2022-8-30_2-6-47.png

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. MH MD

MH MD

it does, cause basically they are side games, they don't represent the main focus of the series and the main zelda games.

It's the same with Sonic and 2D games, people say this series transitioned from 2D to 3D and didn't focus on 2D gameplay since the 90s....when the portable games are right there, even the whole sonic 4 thing that was as late as 2012, does this mean 2D is the main focus or the defining characteristics of modern Sonic games and what people comes for and play these games for? of course not.

Even Mania is treated like a side-game from the majority of people and fans....regardless of it's high quality

9. corneliab

corneliab

I think it's a major stretch to think that Mania is mostly perceived as a side-game. It's a proper successor to the seminal classics- that was its whole draw. The direction that Sega is taking its higher-budget, dedicated in-house games only really speaks for how Sega itself *might* perceive Sonic Mania, and not necessarily how others do.

Also I don't think those mentioned Zelda games count as "open world", not because they're "side games" or whatever, but because they're structurally more guided/a lot more reliant on linear progression (with ALBW being a notable exception and kind of a dry run for BotW).

10. I really like the look of some of the new Screenshots, the game is coming along very nicely. Speaking of Mania, I'm on my own in that I found it vastly overrated with levels just stitched together, but never worked for me (it did look nice) I always found Sonic Rush as the best 2D Sonic game, post Mega Drive/Mega CD

Sonic CD was always the best 2D Sonic game for me, and I so wish the team would look use to time travel aspect again, even if it would be a ton of work I guess

11. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    7770D633-42D4-4531-9317-80C6F5399FA2.jpeg
    The rotating platforms from dragon road day are back. Why.

There is no god.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
  13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Really excited for this media embargo to lift... hoping to hear a little bit more about the second island and the original cyberspace stage. For all the footage we got, I'd still like to hear more people give in-depth impressions about how the game felt to play (as opposed to "wow I didn't think I would like this, but I was pleasantly surprised" and other things that don't really tell us much). After the SGF embargo lifted we got a lot of nice impressions from people who were pretty good at describing what they played and how it felt. I like stuff like that.

Also, kinda hoping they don't spoil TOO much. A public demo would definitely be nice so we can get a feel for the game to hold us over and I can just uninstall Twitter and be pleasantly surprised in November.

I think this is the same as the other 2 city levels, one just being 2D and the other being at night. I don't think it reuses any specific stage, some assets may be pulled from previous games but it doesn't appear to rehash any one specific level. Some people said City Escape or Radical Highway, but it kinda just looks like certain cues are taken from those stages, it's definitely not copying them aesthetically. For sure not Skyscraper Scamper.

By god that footage looks great though. Sonic turns really well along that curve, and I'd imagine the cars are hazards. Wonder what the music is like for this one...

14. Starduster

Starduster

Britain

Clean gameplay of Ares Island.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. Vertette

Vertette

Oh man those controls look tight. Very pleasing news.

Third time they got recycled lol. At least this layout looks new.

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    There's something very funny about having that shot of Sonic on the road with all the cars for months and then learning that the cars in the level don't actually move.

Regardless, there is such a world of difference between that snippet and the cyber levels we've seen thusfar that I think Iizuka really might've been right in that interview.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

Now that I think about it, SEGA sure learned 0 shits from Ryu ga Gotoku.
    They released a demo of one of those games.
    It was pretty much the full game with limitations to make it demo-style.
    Gamers managed to break through it and attain full game at price 0 xD

And on Sonic Frontiers' case it was kinda worse.
    A simple overlook on the save system and people managed to get more than SEGA wanted them to XD

Never learn, SEGA. Never learn... *facepalm*

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    It's kind of worked in their favour though. We know more than wanted to let on, yet still barely anything. We have no idea where the stories going, the full cycle of progression from one island to the next and so on, so forth. Every unsanctioned clip just builds more intrigue and hype around the game and if I didn't know any better I'd say this was some next level, 4D chess marketing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

Not gonna lie, this actually looks pretty dang fun. I’m optimistic. People who are still malding for the sake of malding can eat my nuts.

20. Vertette

Vertette

It's Sega though. I'm pretty sure every time something worked out in their favor, they just happened to stumble into it.