don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    The guy is still posting in here and didn't even bother responding to my post that shows Iizuka said he intends to use this style of gameplay for the next decade, if well received.

You're wasting your time here.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Lord, I don’t think I’ve ever been so frustrated by a game yet so greatly anticipating it at the same time. Drop dash? Rolling? Adventure style light dash? These things are all really exciting for me but then there’s this big level reuse flavoured cloud hanging over the game. This is such an odd feeling…

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The person playing in this video was probably just very excited and/or nervous to have come so far during his/her time with the game. Most people I saw at the booth only got to the Tower boss fight.

Btw, I just remembered something. I asked one of the staff members if they were Sega employees or "special personnel" for the Gamescom. As it turned out, the latter was the case.

4. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I like the guy, but… Iizuka says a lot of things. And let’s not forget that 06 was meant to be a new direction for the series too.

5. Mana

Mana

06 WOULD have been a new direction for the series if it hadn't bombed so hard critically and become a laughing stock people haven't let go of 16 years later. Apples and oranges man.

And still an entirely different argument than me saying I think a Frontiers sequel would have a bigger budget and fully original Cyberspace levels, then linking an article that says he wants to do more games with Frontier style gameplay as the future of the franchise to back this up, too.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah, the dude looks like he's never played a video game before lmfao

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    On one hand, the guy seems to have no idea how Sonic games work. On the other, Sonic's janky collision when contacting the rail and going up the quarter-pipe, which is.. not great!

8. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    or, rather, never played a Sonic game before. Sonic is a completely different beast than most platformers since he's so much faster. A lot of people can't get down with that, aren't comfortable with it.

You ever told some random person to try to play Sonic Mania? They'd faff about and struggle. Just like what's happening here. I don't think it's fair to judge how he's playing in that case.

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Do you remember when everyone said Lost World's preview jank was because people couldn't play games?

I'm still open-minded about Frontiers' controls, but let's be measured.

10. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I replied to something that was more interesting than this little argument. What do you want me to say? Yes, it is technically true that Iizuka said that, but come the fuck on, any developer when talking about their game is going to say some marketing buzzwords like "We're taking the franchise to new heights" or "We're inventing a new genre of games". Iizuka said he could use this style of gameplay for the next decade, but he also has said multiple times that he and Sonic Team are uninterested in Sonic Adventure 3, and would rather "do something new" and "reinvent the idea of what a Sonic game is". But then, just a couple months ago, he said he was VERY interested in making Sonic Adventure 3. He once called Heroes a "new franchise" and yet nothing came from that game despite it selling very well and reviewing decently enough on Gamecube. Iizuka indeed says a lot of things, and he can't be trusted when it comes to hyping up a new Sonic game.

And maybe you could think of Lost World as an exception. Ok, well, what about Heroes? What about Shadow? What about Unleashed? What about Boom? None of those games were iterations on what came before, and in fact are wildly different compared to SA1 and SA2. Yes, this series does indeed have quite a few reboots.

11. MH MD

MH MD

The bold new direction of….continuing the Adventure formula

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

He could have been talking about the original plans for 06. According to some sources it was going to be an open world game inspired by GTA, but time constraints forced ST to downscale it into a more traditional Adventure game. The massive hubs populated by realistic humans seem to be remnants of this. The tech demo also showed Sonic running in a realistic forest that looked more like an open area than a level.

13. Mana

Mana

"Oh thats interesting. I guess we'll just have to wait to see how Frontiers does and then we can wait and see what happens with the next one!"

Also you tagged me at first asking why I would think this. Not vice versa.

That is factually untrue. Where are you getting your sources?

--------
    VGC : You mentioned in an IGN interview that you’d like to one day work on Sonic Adventure 3. What would that game look like compared to Frontiers?

IIZUKA : IGN asked very directly about making Sonic Adventure 3, so I was just answering the question! I’m not saying, ‘we’re definitely making Sonic Adventure 3’, although people may want to believe that. I just want to reiterate that the entire team is focused on Sonic Frontiers and they really want to make it the best game that it can be.

In the future, yes, Sonic Adventure 3 is there as an idea that at some point it would be cool to maybe explore, but that’s not part of the plan and that’s not what I’m doing. It’s all about Frontiers [right now] and we have no plans for Sonic Adventure 3 at this point. I just want to be clear with everyone!

He never said this year he wanted to do adventure 3 in the near future, nor was he excited about it and specified his words were taken out of context.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ont-yet-understand-what-this-new-gameplay-is/

---------

In the cases of Heroes, Shadow, and 06 not becoming new directions for the franchise I think it had a lot to do with general reception, despite decent sales for each.

All entirely different arguments when I said if Frontiers is SUCCESSFUL (both critically and financially) they'll make a sequel with all original Cyberspace levels.

14. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    To be fair, Iizuka changes his mind and says conflicting things on too many occasions.

I remember him saying a few years ago that they don't want to make SA3, and then - that he and the team seeing it as a possibility (it's not the above interview).

I mean, we will get SA3 in a few years time, it's inevitable.

Back to Forces:
    Many people complain about RCS voice. I can understand from where they are coming from, but to me... It's the first time, he sounds... genuine, not like on a Sugar Rush.
    I'm looking forward to hearing more lines.

15. MH MD

MH MD

Usually when a series goes open world-or let’s say more open-, they stick with it and build upon it cause usually it generates more sales and is more receptive , so when they say they intend to make frontiers the beginning of a new direction for the series, I believe them, they don’t even need to say it directly, it really feels like they put a lot of resources into this game that can be seen as investment for future

They even recently opened a new SEGA studio in Sapporo,Japan, where they stated that one of its goals it’s to support sonic development, and why is that? Cause open world games require more staff and resources-it’s miracle that frontiers is being built with small staff as it is-

even a series that don’t make “traditional sequels” like Zelda, they straight up developing BotW2, why? It’s successful and also fans won’t really accept a more “linear” zelda game any time soon after the amount of freedom BotW offered

16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    That would require me to be naïve enough to believe the next game won't drop either the open-world concept, or the boost formula as we know it, just like how SA2 dropped hub worlds. Mark my words: we will see who has the last laugh in 6 years.
    Did you actually pay attention to what he said? He denied that Sonic Team had any immediate plans to make SA3. He did not deny that he personally would like to make SA3, which is still in direct contrast to statements he made in 2017:
    Granted, he could mean that he would like to make it using the lessons learned from Frontiers, and that could be his idea of "advancing the series"...but something seems off about this whole thing.

I'd also like to direct you to when he said Sonic Mania could dictate the future of the franchise, depending on its success:
    I don't know how to interpret this other than "We'll do a sequel depending on its success". And yet despite Mania being one of the highest-rated and best-selling Sonic games of all time, and being popular among both kids and adults according to that interview...there's no sequel in sight.

17. Linkabel

Linkabel

18. Mana

Mana

I'm not concerned with having the last laugh. I just dont see why you tagged me asking me why i would feel a way about something in a very rude matter, then when I post a source that directly validates my statements you say the person is lying and then you're using statements they made 5 years ago vs how they feel now after making a game they're confident in and are proud of and think could get Sonic back in the big leagues amongst gaming conversations.

Nothing in his quotes shows excitement in an adventure 3 or that he really wants to do one. It's just him explaining that if he DID do one he'd want it to be true to fans and their expectations.

He is pretty clearly saying that if Adventure 3 was to happen he would want it to be something he feels would do justice to all fans of that part of the franchise. Not that he wants to do it.

You've been on this site for years now. You know there was more going on with us not getting a Mania 2 and the reason we haven't seen it has more to do with internal politics at SEGA (pay disputes with Evening Star are the reason I hear the most) rather than Iizuka just deciding not do it out of nowhere.

What else?

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Sonic Heroes and Shadow are absolutely building upon Sonic Adventure's general controls and approach to level design. They build upon Sonic Adventure in a bad way but are clearly made of the same DNA. Especially Shadow the Hedgehog.

SA1-Sonic 06 represents a general trend in Sonic's Adventure style. Sonic Unleashed-Sonic Forces represents a general trend in Sonic's Boost style. Lost World was an exception. Boom was different because it was made by a completely different development team under a different brand identity.

20. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member

Interesting little video

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List