don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    well if that's the case and Ben Schwartz was seriously being considered to replace Roger, then I'm glad it didn't happen.

I think it sets a very bad precedent if a long running professional voice actor can just suddenly lose their job and be replaced by a Hollywood actor who mostly works in TV & Film. I don't think anyone should want that to happen.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Could you elaborate on this please? I feel like whenever something like this comes up, it ends up being either the actor making a joke that was taken out of context or misinterpreted or they just got a little snippy about something like any normal person would. It’s important to remember that VAs are people too and I don’t think “Twitter beef” should really be a factor in whether a VA should stay in their role, obvious exceptions (hate speech, etc.) notwithstanding.

3. I have no qualms about being proven wrong, but I highly doubt Schwartz was ever seriously considered for Frontiers. I only vaguely remember the whole twitter fiasco, but my gut feeling is that the VA ordeal was some unique marketing tactic whether from the outset or retroactively spun to be. Perhaps RCS was serious in announcing his retirement, or perhaps it was a ruse. Hardly matters. It got our attention and even got some of us concerned over the fate of Sonic's voice. Since they received and maintained the community's attention, they could have intentionally prolonged the mystery to propel hype and curiosity.

Just a thought after being awake for well over 24 hours...

4. _Sidle

_Sidle

Sure, here's a .webm [+] I've just made for ya, as well as a normal .gif that's much worse quality, have fun

[​IMG]

todo: figure out what Sonic Retro's direct upload limits are, I feel like I've uploaded things bigger than these to the forums before but today it just says "nah"

5. Roger Craig Smith has been getting shit from disgruntled Sonic fans for over a decade just because he's not Ryan Drummond or Jason Griffith or whoever the fuck the fandom is sucking off as a better replacement. It would be weirder if he didn't just snap back every now and then when most people are legitimately awful towards him and are just looking for any excuse to drag his name.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I haven't known of any particularly bad behavior from Sonic voice actors other than Kari Wahlgren (and I guess Vic Mignogna, but his presence in the series was extremely limited). I seem to remember Pollock making a rude joke about gun control or something once, but that's all I got.

EDIT: but WHO CARES ABOUT THAT we got NEW SHIT
    Sonic can go underwater in 3D, with an oxygen meter.

Someone apparently fought the "flyer" boss from the Sonic Central, except its true name is...squid.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    An oxygen meter? I guess that's more intuitive than the beeping noise every 5 seconds, actually.

8. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I thought Black Knight was his best, and it made it suck even more when he was being replaced, imo. I think he even said he went to improve his voice acting not too long before that? Honestly though, I think my mind defaults to either Griffith or Smith when it comes to Sonic, but I guess that's cause I hear them way more often than Drummond thanks to YouTube. No hate towards Drummond, btw. I think all of them are great actors.

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Actually, what does everyone think about having a stamina meter? I'm not on board with it at all. I didn't like it in Breath of the Wild and I dislike it even more for Sonic.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Yeah, I think it'll likely be a detriment to the game design on all fronts. Faster travel is a convenience that I don't really see the need to limit for the sake of balance. In time trial challenges and the cyberspace levels, I'd argue that, while conditioning the player towards efficient stamina meter management making for engaging gameplay, that should first and foremost stem from environments designed in such a way that reward players for quick reactions and level familiarity while keeping the truly fastest paths out of reach for players who spam the boost without regard. So basically the same "boost to win" discussions we've been having for almost two decades.

Anyway, here's a nice video from BriHard weighing in on the reuse of level designs in cyberspace.

11. Snowbound

Snowbound

The stamina meter reminds me of a heavily nerfed version of the SA1 spindash in that it can give u an instant boost but unlike SA1 you can’t infinitely spam it. It hypothetically could work. It could also be a restriction imposed to limit speed based gameplay and force combat. Then again the game’s “action mode” had an unlimited boost (although it’s supposedly slower) All in all it’s too early for me to tell… and I’m getting very tired of saying this. I’ll stop myself before I complain about Sega’s piss poor marketing yet again

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    You know what they say: the more, the merrier! :ruby:

13. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    wait I thought the explanation is that cyberspace is based on Sonic's memories? when did he ever go to Radical Highway lol
    it's funny, I literally just finished watching that video. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about the recycled stages at first but I know I'm not a fan of the idea.

this has to be the last time they pull this right? like, there's no way they could rehash old levels again for the next game? sometimes I get the impression that SEGA genuinely thinks people only liked Generations and Mania because they had old stages

14. MH MD

MH MD

i hate stamina meters in general, which leave me conflicted here, cause there is actually a setting with unlimited stamina...but slower speed

https://twitter.com/Ruki185/status/1562481936140226562?s=20&t=pjg_i3_s2EUcMQ9pniyVEw
    i am used to sonic, i like high speed, so that setting should be right up my alley....but it has stamina.

and i mean...sure...boost was always limited and needs recharging, but you can store it and have a high amount, and if you play right, you can basically have unlimited boost, stamina meters usually don't recharge like that and get exhausted fast -unless you play Nioh which allows you to basically break the stamina system and recharge a lot, i also happens to love Nioh for this exact reason-
    but anyway! i need to see how it works in practice

the Entire Yakuza series rehash old places, and SEGA don't mind, so...good luck lol

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    He technically did in Gens 3ds :V

I gotta say it's very interesting to see them pull level design from the adventure games.
    I thought we'd be stuck with boost level design but it opens up so many possibilities for cool setpieces and levels if they don't limit themselves to this specific era, can't wait to play the full level roster

On another note...
    We all know damn well that's exactly what they'll do lmao
    I really wish it wasn't the case, but as far as I'm concerned Green Hill will be the first level in every new Sonic game going forward. This reads like some kind of sarcastic post but it's not lol, I feel like Frontiers was the perfect opportunity for them to break this trend but instead they doubled down on it, so I kinda made my peace with it.
    Sonic Colours, a game that came out 12 years ago, was the last time we got an original opening stage. Oh well...

16. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Okay I get what they're trying to go for with the cyberspace levels now. It's neat, I guess. But I'd still prefer all original level layouts and locales.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Got the feeling that there's gonna be like 100+ cyberspace levels, and that's why they're all reusing layouts. That doesn't justify it, but that would explain it.

Related to previous discussions, I actually like the stamina bar/wheel. It's a thing now used maybe way too often in modern games (particularly by being a minimalist circle floating top-right of a character), but it's very efficient and gets the job done. Managing said stamina makes sense for a boost in an open map.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Kyro

Kyro

Huh, I do think thats interesting that the adventure games will also be pulled from. So its not just boost level design go expect, but adventure as well, if not more.

Very interesting to pull from sa2's city escape instead of gens

19. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Thing is, the city gameplay we're seeing isn't one to one with Adventure 2. I'll be able to look more kindly on these levels if they actually remix layouts like this level seems to.