don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    I believe all three come from the same origin:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodama_(spirit)

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I still think they should've just been Chao. They ARE connected to the chaos emeralds, it would make sense for them to be here. But these are cute regardless.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I wonder how the Switch version of this will run. If it's a solid 30fps I wouldn't mind getting it as well as the PS5 version.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

The idea of old memories mish-mashing aesthetics and level design is an interesting one (if that's truly what they're going for), but Sonic as a series is not in a position to attempt that trick without inviting mountains of skepticism. How does a big open-world experiment also manage to be another potentially disappointing boost game?

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Before 06, I'd say Classic fans were often prone to the same thing. With SA2, then with Heroes, and then AGAIN with 06, Sega was always saying all the right things about how they were "going back to Sonic's roots," and getting the series back on-track, and fans really, REALLY wanted to believe that. So everyone would get their hopes up, and then the game would come out and somehow it'd be WORSE than it was before, and the cycle would begin anew. Hopes were INCREDIBLY high with 06 in particular, with a lot of people shrugging off all the red flags, and taking Sega at their word that the demo and press showings weren't representative of the final product. After that though, Sega had cried wolf way too many times and broken most peoples' trust, which makes what happened next even funnier.

In more recent times, I'm reminded of what I noticed with Forces. Everyone here was cautiously optimistic at best, because most of us had lived through that cycle so many times. But in places like Reddit and Twitter, hopes were INSANELY high that Forces would be a "return to form," and many of them got their hearts broken the same way I did over Heroes. xD

Hey man, I've dealt with that sort of feeling where the state of the fandom is giving me a bit of an existential crisis, myself. I remember feeling like everyone was older than me, and feeling ostracized because I loved games they hated. Now sometimes I feel like everyone's younger than me, and I feel ostracized all over again. But when I try to frame it logically, I think it's really just a perspective issue. Your brain focuses more on things it identifies as "problems," and you wind up seeing it as a bigger "majority" than it actually is. I've talked to people who are on the far opposite end of the spectrum in terms of their Sonic preferences from me, and they ALSO feel like they're in this niche minority. I've also met tons of people 10-15 years younger than me who love Sonic for all the reasons I do. So I think it's really just an extremely wide fandom with a lot of different preferences, all trying to talk over each other. Which is one of the big problems with modern social media in general!

Taking a sabbatical from the series (I literally played no Sonic games for seven months!) and distancing myself from it seems to have done a lot of good for my perspective though, along with the knowledge that I can always just do that again if I start feeling that way! Fandom should be something that you enjoy, and if it's making you miserable, just try to step back for a while. (And please feel free to DM me if you want to talk!)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Snowbound

Snowbound

This also confirms that you can drift in cyberspace stages. This does increase my interest. It is legit infuriating how poorly sega has shown off this game. I wanna see good footage of the drop dash and jump stomp in the open zone. I wanna see drifting, tricks and drop dashes in the cyberspace levels. Please Sega, give me an idea of what it’s like to actually play the game.

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Irony or not, one portion of this game seems to have effort put in, and the other looks like it may not. Just because they mirrored which version got the most effort doesn't mean I still won't be frustrated.

And I enjoyed Unleashed despite the flaws of the nighttime stages. I can still go back and play Unleashed, Generations, Heroes, SA1, SA2 and find something to enjoy in each. This? Maybe. But after Forces was such a cheap letdown, I'm going to wait before I commit to buy. I was much more willing to defend the earlier reveals, but the recycled assets kills it for me. Maybe if they at least do new retro stages as memories it'll peak my interests? I suppose they want to save some surprises... but recycling Green Hill at all is kind of an insult at this point. I didn't even like it being reused in Mania, only excused it for the execution. Wanna recycle old levels? Give me Mystic Cave or something we haven't seen yet at least.

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought they put the drift on the d-pad lmao

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

If the whole story is about the "Ancients", then maybe these are like, proto-Chao. The earth given life before they become the cuddly little buggers.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm almost certain that Chao are supposed to be derived from water like Chaos, rather than earth.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    What makes chao so related to the Chaos Emeralds that these new rocky dudes cannot be part of?

13. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    4/5s of their name

14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Chao have a connection to Chaos, who has a connection to the Master Emerald, which has a connection to the Chaos Emeralds

Don't know about the Kocos

15. Frostav

Frostav

They are. They are filled with water and jiggle like it in SA1 and 2, and (this is a bit of a galaxy brain take I'll admit), Swim is the most dominant stat for evolutions.

16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I don't think they would delve into the origin of Chao, especially since they said this game is meant to connect with the series' pre-existing lore. But perhaps the Kocos are also related to Chaos somehow.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  17. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
  18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  19. Flare

Flare

… so we have only one new setting for the cyber stages so far.

But let us not forget the cyber stages aren’t even really the point of the game. In fact I dunno why we, Sonic Team, put them there. And remember Mario does throwbacks too… and these are probably just tutorial levels. ;)