don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. I thought it was only Working Designs who looked to change scripts *rollseyes* . Like you say SEGA has been doing it for years and I tire of some people saying Japanese is best, if for no other reason than it seems cooler.
    I actually liked the English voice acting in Sonic Adv far better to the Japanese version. Not that I really look to Sonic games for great scripts and wonderful voice acting

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    (Spoilers inbound, obviously)

I'm heading back to work in a few minutes so I won't be able to update on the spot, but here's everything I could grab from twitter the past hour in a big disorganized pile. We see the skill tree, the HUD, parts of the intro cutscene (no tears + no frontmouth + ratio), keys, vaults, closed captions, options,

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    My ratio was more to the low-res blurry version of the opening cutscene from SGF, both because it got tens of thousands more views than any other video I've ever uploaded, and because it lead to people searching for completely undeterminable things in the pixels, like Sonic supposedly crying.

EDIT: Yeah, so far the footage of the cyber levels would not impress anyone upset by Forces, though since this game is more of a hodge-podge of different mechanics, that may not be as much an issue as in a straightforward platformer.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The cyberspace levels, based on what very little we've seen, look like Forces and Colours levels rather than Generations or Unleashed. But that's no surprise, Kishimoto is one again in the directors seat.

6. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

7. I would like to see a full playthrough of a Cyberspace level before rushing to that judgement...you could chop up 20 second clips of Unleashed and Generations and proclaim that it's Forces-esque level design too.

8. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Do it then

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Here's tutorial hill zone in full.

In fairness, it IS better, but not by an exorbitant amount.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    This. That Sky Sanctuary clip is literally 20 seconds. There is no possible way you could make a full judgement based on that.

11. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

I can and I will, this is the same thing that happened back when Forces revealed its first 40 seconds of gameplay. People rushed to defend it saying almost exactly what you guys are saying right now. If there's good level design in this game, then show it. I will make a full judgment depending on what I'm shown.

We now also have footage of one of the full Green Hill Zone levels and it's also just as bad, if not worse, than the level design we had in Forces.

inb4 "it's a tutorial stage you can't judge the whole game based on it"

12. Jonny Axehandle

Jonny Axehandle

Man and machine and nothing there in between Oldbie
    I can try. A: It looks like it was ported straight from Generations and B: WHY THE FUCK ARE WE STILL RE-HASHING STAGES? This goes against what made Sonic so awesome back in the day.

Sonic 1: Green Hill Zone
    Sonic 2: Emerald Hill Zone, similar but the improved graphics and flow make it feel brand new
    Sonic 3: Angel Island Zone, same trope even better graphics and they set it on fire before the end of the first act

13. VenomTH

VenomTH

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I know SEGA makes the special editions Japan exclusive so they don't have to give them large production runs, but I still find it to be ironic that the only place getting a special edition of the biggest Sonic game in YEARS, is the ONE place where the 2nd movie completely bombed.

I wish they would make a few here too, maybe a one pressing only type deal. I just feel Western fans would value this a lot more.

15. Flare

Flare

They could of even just retextured models or something… I would still moan but it would atleast be something more.

And stages seem short which… yeah ok. Haha. I don’t know if I hate short stages because in Forces there was little between them or I actually want to play long Sonic levels - for example BOTW I enjoyed the world more than shrines but I welcomed the change of pace. Maybe it will be the same here but I dunno, if there is one thing Sonic Team does very well, almost down to an art form, it’s over promising and under delivering.

16. Okay, I'll give a few examples.

Apotos Act 1 in Unleashed is practically the same as the Green Hill level that Shaddy posted. Boring, straight-line, no divergent pathways tutorial act.

The end of Green Hill Zone Act 2 in Generations is a boring incredibly straight-line path after the last 2D corkscrew that lasts for much longer than 20 seconds.

There's long, multiple fully automated quick step sections in Adabat Act 1 in Unleashed in the forest that drags for well longer than 20 seconds too.

You could take these segments and say "this is how the full level design of these games are".

And multiple journalists have said Green Hill in Frontiers is a tutorial zone, and that besides Green Hill, the Cyberspace levels were incredibly enjoyable. Maybe these could be journalists who also highly enjoyed Forces, but I don't know.

I don't necessarily fault you for assuming it's going to be all Forces level design though, it's true that modern Sonic Team has not shown us yet that they can design a good boost title.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Having watched the tutorial level a couple of times, I find myself conflicted. The level design looks very shallow and the level itself looks very short. Of course, these things are likely a result of being a tutorial level. Furthermore, the function of these levels in Frontiers is akin to special stages, so I appreciate the short length of them in that regard, especially given we’ll probably be seeing up to 35 stages. With that said, this is the only full level we’ve seen so far so I think it’s entirely understandable to be wary towards what we’re seeing. We can only judge what’s in front of us and I’ll admit that I am concerned about the distinct possibility that the cyberspace levels won’t end up meeting expectations. There’s certainly potentially to be tapped here by repositioning these Forces styled levels as special stages, especially if they counterbalance the short length with considerable depth to really provide a frenetic, arcade experience.

All that aside, the impressions of the open zone, the heart of the game, continue to be strong, so while I worry about the cyberspace stages missing the mark, I feel optimistic about main event.

18. Patrolman

Patrolman

Interviews already said that the later cyberspace levels are gonna be longer

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Flare

Flare

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Let's not do the level complexity over game time argument. We had enough of it with Forces. Maybe things will look better the further into this (long) game you get, and maybe they won't. I think Forces holistically came off better than any of it's individual levels did because by endgame they actually were pretty varied, and a couple were even interesting (gating about a fourth of them off from the main story was a bad move though). Most of what the level design suffers from in these cases is a lack of replayability, not turning the game into a living nightmare. If this is a lot of original level design and doesn't just make you play the same stages over but slightly different like in Forces, it's less of an issue.

Regardless, don't use arguments people have already heard a hundred times on people that already have more fundamental issues with this game. I think by most metrics people that really hated Forces with a passion were already not the type to be interested in this game from the outset, and that's okay. Sonic doesn't need to be for everyone. You don't need to jump to conclusions to try and convince people who aren't going to have a taste for it no matter how it is framed.

All that said, yeah, Green Tutorial Zone is legit cribbing from Windmill Isle 1. What's up with that?