don't click here

Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone Films in Development

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Aug 20, 2022.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Per The Hollywood Reporter:
    Another THR article reveals the current creatives: Space Channel 5 is being written by Barry Battles (The Bayton Outlaws) and Nir Paniry (Extracted). Comix Zone is being written by Mae Catt (Young Justice). Royce Reeves-Darby, Samie Kim Falvey, and Erik Feig are attached as producers.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. TapamN

TapamN

I think Dynamite Deka would make for a good movie.

3. I think a Space Channel 5 film could be good.

4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I was excited about Comix Zone, but then I realized it's going to be Woke Comix Zone. No thanks.

Space Channel 5 could be interesting. But it could also be a disaster. I'm a bit cautious on it.

5. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    I wouldn't hold my breath on either of these actually ever happening in the end. Remember when Rent-a-hero was supposed to be getting a film that never materialised?

FWIW like most video game to film adaptions, I also don't think either are particularly necessary and both titles would benefit much more from having money and effort put behind an actual new game. Space Channel 5 seems particularly disingenuous though - it was made by someone who made his thoughts very clear on the creative and personal enjoyment advantages that video games can often have over films.

6. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Could you elaborate on this?

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

The potential matter for concern (bolded), depending on each one's perspective.

Also, Space Channel 5's synopsis states "the one thing that unites all people on the planet: our love of silly viral dances".
    That can also become matter for concern, given current social sensibilities and agendas.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I think the movies could be really great if done properly (I’m a big fan of Comix Zone and I think the current premise sounds like an interesting and cool update/take on the source material). Whether they actually pan out and get made? I don’t realistically see that happening. But I’d love to be surprised.

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I almost spit out my drink

EDIT: To actually add to the thread, I really really hope they cast Apollo Smile as Ulala

10. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Apparently it's being written by an insane person.

https://twitter.com/MaeCatt/status/1560742760704946176

11. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Screenshot_20220820_111233.png

12. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    This is a disgusting response coming from an admin of the site. Calling the writer insane and linking to a tweet where the only content that could point to that conclusion is the sentence "queer writer of color", as nothing else in the synopsis feels outside the bounds of Comix Zone's existing story, speaks volumes.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

This thread went downhill fast

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Let's just point out at this stage that the plot of Space Channel 5 features Morolians from another planet, invading and forcing people to dance.

Ulala (a reporter for Space Channel 5, a "space" broadcaster that broadcasts to "space") actively stops people dancing... by also dancing. idk

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Two films that happen to have the same name as great SEGA games are in development, and the similarities stop there.

Cool.

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    The plot summary as described in the tweet is simply Comix Zone with Mae Catt herself inserted as a character. This is not an encouraging sign.

Please try to avoid interpreting people's words in the worst possible way. It's not a sensible approach to a discussion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I only vaguely remember that Rent-A-Hero one but I know there were plans once for Vectorman and Crazy Taxi to be turned into movies. Crazy Taxi even got mentioned more than once.

Can't remember if they'd planned a Bug movie or a Bug TV series (or both), but yes there's a long history of these ideas not going anywhere. Other than the occasional anime (and Sonic) the only Sega movie that was actually finished was (The) House of the Dead. And I hear it's terrible.

18. Pengi

Pengi

You called the writer insane.

I don't see the issue with a queer writer of color writing a story that co-stars a queer writer of color. I don't see how that makes someone insane.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  20. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    A Comix Zone movie could be cool. Not sure about Space Channel 5 since the summary says it will involve a social media trend, but then again I'm an "old" so that's probably just me. Maybe if they lean into the swinging 60's aesthetic they had going on in the games it could work?

Guess these are both "wait and see" things... if they ever become see-able that is.