don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    This exactly, this thread got really weird really fast. Like it's okay to be out of touch, but at least try to be aware of being out of touch and how absurd these arguments tend to become. Facebook is one thousand times more devious than TikTok, which actually has a very complicated history of ownership and isn't just "a Chinese company" (TikTok itself is actually not a company). Meanwhile Facebook is still owned by Meta and Meta is proving to be one of the most abusive and reckless companies on earth when it comes to misuse of user information, invasion of privacy, and proliferation of social and political propaganda.

In other news, if it's actually Natewantstobattle, that would be pretty insane. I really don't know if I trust Zippo at this point though, and I don't really wanna feed his ego if this blindfolded dart toss actually lands on the board. Really hope they show some more music before Gamescom.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'm at the point where hearing anything from him makes me almost believe the exact opposite is true. After that one post people kept sharing where he said stuff like "there might be a special edition but maybe not" or "development started out rocky but things may have picked up" (both vague statements that an evangelist could say are "true" no matter what outcome happens), a statement like "a YouTuber does the main theme" will just become "as long as they technically have a YouTube account it's true".

"Leakers" just make shit up to throw at the wall most of the time, and the fact that this one is also a prick just makes me more suspicious.

3. Retroman

Retroman

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I want to say I don't believe him, just out of pettiness for us being misled over Summer Games Fest where everything we saw from Frontiers was via unauthorised shaky cam of a press only demo area. I know I'm wrong and this is a more specific announcement but god damn you Keighley I am feeling spiteful after that.

5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yeahhh, the summer games fest was a massive bummer. Talk about misleading, especially with a game that we've seen very little of. Why did they think advertising Frontiers would be a good idea?

6. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    In one of his streams he wrote lyrics off the top to the theme song we've heard so far, it was actually really fun.

7. Snowbound

Snowbound

Man, they love to make announcements when I’m on my lunch break:
    0119EBE0-A7E0-4C73-A69A-5202F2535FF3.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. With the rate they’re going I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of those interview trailers but just using all the gameplay clips they’ve already released while they tell us how great this game is and mention mechanics/levels/story elements/etc they haven’t actually shown us yet.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Really though? While I'd certainly welcome a trailer that shows more stuff, including what the transitions from the Starfall Islands to Cyberspace and vice versa are like, it feels like how 'in the dark' we are as to what to expect in November is being exaggerated. We know what the gameplay loop is, and it's not particularly difficult to imagine how the different elements they've shown off in isolation are going to connect. It's an open world Boost game with melee combat tacked on, and you can enter traditional Boost stages for Chaos Emeralds. Yeah, they gave us a shitty dripfeed of information earlier this summer, all of which probably could have been communicated in a single trailer, but it's not like we're still chomping at the bit for big answers.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes, really. Everything that SEGA has shown of this game is incredibly fragmented. A lot of what we've learned has been piecemeal from leaks that have slowly been confirmed and scattered previews that don't have any associated footage. It's not that we don't know what Frontiers is, it's that it's not clear. The prospective audience has got to do more digging around that they should have to in order to understand this game. That's a pretty critical marketing failure

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'm just not quite getting the difference there. We know what Frontiers is, but it's not clear what Frontiers is...?

It certainly seems clear to me, despite their bad marketing and fragmented demonstration of the game.

12. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    WE have a clear understanding of the game. We're nerds who will check every tiny bit of info revealed about it.

The point is, is that someone who isn't obsessed with Sonic will have an extremely unclear picture of what the fuck Frontiers is, because the info is so scattered and all over the place. That's where the issue lies, at least in my opinion. We need a trailer that gives a clear overview of everything we've heard in a digestible way, which is hopefully what the august trailer will bring.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The marketing has been so awful I tuned out of the hype train and honestly forgot this game existed until now.

14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Okay, that's fair. I don't think it's that big of a deal, though. If we didn't have a clear understanding of the game, then I'd see more reason to be upset, because, well, we're the target audience.

But I agree, hopefully the next trailer puts it all together in a way that clear communicates the gameplay loop to the average consumer. Would be surprised if something of the sort didn't come out before the game.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

We (being being rabid Sonic nerds) aren't really the target. We're just the guaranteed market, and we're a pretty small crowd proportionally. The target will be the younger demographic, parents of the younger demographic looking to buy games for their kids and gamers who need convincing about whether or not to buy a new Sonic games.

_oliver is bang on the money for explaining the point that I was trying to make.

16. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    the Nintendo direct trailer was pretty good so I hope they show an actual comprehensive trailer this month, instead of just... random contextless B-roll footage of the player wandering around aimlessly lol

17. Snowbound

Snowbound

Pretty much same for me. I will say that after playing Triple Trouble 16 bit and Sonic and the Fallen Star I’ve gotten what I’ve been wanting out of Sonic for awhile. My point isn’t “sega hire these fans they’re better than you” it’s that I’ve majorly calmed down about Frontiers. If it’s bad then whatever I got 2 great completed fan games this year and SAGE is still on the horizon (which is apparently going to have some 3D fan games I’ve been looking forward to) If it’s something different that’s good then I’m more willing to be open minded because’s I got 2 near-Mania quality 2D games this year… even if they weren’t official releases. it’s a crying shame that Sega couldn’t deliver what I wanted in an official paid product (especially given how poorly they’ve treated headcanon with Origins) but all of that is out of my control

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  18. Wildcat

Wildcat

I’d say we are part of the target audience. At least 50/50. The long time fans and younger crowd. Even for those that became fans in the PS2/Cube/Xbox era it’s been 20 years now.

I don’t see how we’re proportionally small compared to the younger demographic when it’s been 30 years. Sonic is well established. They don’t need to “win over” anyone. It’s the long time fans (rabid nerds) and young/upcoming players getting into games or like Sonic from the movies.

19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I really hope this trailer shows off some different parts of the game outside of that little "tutorial" area at the beginning. I doubt we'll see footage from a different island, but that would certainly be welcome at this point. At the very least, a more proper look at Cyberspace. Ideally we also get some story beats and they finally show Super Sonic fighting a titan, considering that is allegedly a big part of the progression of the game.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, plot is the big thing I'm looking for from this trailer, but seeing Super Sonic in Marza CG once again would be superb.