don't click here

Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Londinium, Jun 17, 2022.

1. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like the plots of Sonic games tend to be these well written masterpieces; they deserve a lot of the criticism they got. That being said, the "solution" they came up with is even worse and it drives me up the wall when people ate it up and called it an improvement. Instead of being constructive and simply asking for better told stories, no people just said stories need to be dumbed down and conflict to be non-existent and when you point that out, you just get accused of "durr u just want another 06 you fucking idiot"

No, I do not like talking to Sonic fans, why do you ask?

2. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Weird of you to join a Sonic forum, then.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. I'm a masochist, yes.

4. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I prefer stories like SA1 and SA2 not because they’re “darker” but because the ridiculousness of them makes them unintentionally more funnier, memeable and quotable than the post-Unleashed stuff. I find the dialogue in the post-Unleashed games a lot more boring despite them trying to be more funnier, simply because it’s just really tame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    In other words, we need Shonen Jump protagonist Sonic back.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Fadaway

Fadaway

I'm not sure if this opinion is popular or not. This has more to do with the players of the classic games than it does with the games themselves. I'll sometimes check out playthroughs and whatever interesting gameplay footage turns up on YouTube. I've noticed a trend of people pressing up to make the character angle their head to look upwards when facing a large enemy or perhaps a boss hovering in the air...or otherwise just appearing to look up at something in general.

I do not mean holding up to make the camera scroll but just having the Sonic/Tails/Knuckles sprites appear to look upwards at something even though it is just a cosmetic thing and adds nothing to the gameplay other than giving the characters some additional animation for the hell of it. It's weird to me although I freely admit I've done that kind of thing in-game myself. But, I try not to because it makes no sense (to me).

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I often do that in my playthroughs, mainly as a hint to help the viewers know in which direction they should look. And, ultimately, to add some variety to the video. For the same reason, for example, I usually bow to Knuckles in Sky Sanctuary, because it showcases more game content.

To the extreme, the TAS guidelines actually encourage doing cosmetic but otherwise useless animations during dead times (e.g. autoscroller levels), to keep things interesting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. What are you referring to by “bow?” Just crouching or am I missing something.

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yes, just crouching, but I seem to remember that someone identified that gesture in that particular instance as a bow.

10. Kyro

Kyro

Crouching yes

If you crouch at knuckles on the button he will beckon for you to keep going without him

11. Ah, that’s what I figured. I know about Knuckles’ little gesture but never heard someone refer to the crouch as “bowing” in this instance.

12. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member

I'd put it simpler and say you don't need to be a YouTuber to do that: what else can you do while waiting for a fight to start, a cutscene to finish, etc.? Sometimes I've even pushed up and down repeteadly to make Sonic "dance" with the music track currently playing when moving around was useless, and of course put sonic on the ledges of an animal container to have him do the ridiculous animation and have Tails mad trying to reach there during score tallies. In Mania, I got used to drop dash back and forth until the score tally popped, for example, while in S3K I just spindashed. But I also cheese bosses through ring drop abuse or Super Sonic to not spend much time fighting them, I just have no patience to stay there without doing nothing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. nineko

nineko

italy
    And yet, our own wiki labels it as "bow", I was sure I wasn't imagining things.

14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I think the bow has something to do with the fact the dev team was Japanese? You're essentially saying "I'm Sorry" to Knuckles.

At least, that's what I've heard.

15. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Sometimes, especially in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I tend to make Sonic bob his head up and down in order to imitate a giggle.

There are times I wish I could have Sonic properly look up at Wing Fortress while staying on the bottom of the screen during Sonic 2's Sky Chase.

16. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    This is fair. I think my affinity for the Adventure games' stories (mostly SA2) stems primarily from nostalgia, but I agree with what you're saying. Sonic as a Shonen Jump- or even kaiju-esque story fits the vibe, I feel. Sonic has literally always been parodying popular entertainment, from Super Saiyans to the Death Star. On the other hand, I really like Colors because it's short and sweet so the story doesn't have time to wear out its welcome. It feels more like a (very) tame AoSTH episode plot, and I think that was a nice change of pace from what came before. I just would like to see some more over-the-top, ridiculous stuff in future games.

17. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I still do that to make the characters headbang to the music!

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yup, I make characters nod along to the music or look at bosses or giggle when Tails dies. Sonic 3 & Knuckles especially has a lot of waiting around and it's just something to fill the dead time.

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Whenever I'm waiting in a Sonic game I always just look up and down repeatedly to make the character I'm playing as do a little dance to the music.

I also always look up at any boss or enemy that's above me, I'm not entirely sure why I do that one, I've just always done it.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    When I'm riding blocks in Marble Zone I usually move back and forth from one edge of the block to the other to roll "in place".