don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. I haven't been able to recreate this. I tried both of the settings that change the monitors/abilties to Sonic 3's (the one that includes the regular blue shield and the one that replaces monitors with ? monitors) and neither of them lifted the roll lock. I'm on the Xbox Series X version.

The Blue Sphere music stopping as you collect the last sphere seems intentional. It was like that in Mania too, I kinda like it actually. The Retro Engine version of Sonic 2 does something like this as well, fading out the music as you approach the emerald.

2. _Sidle

_Sidle

Is it fully removed from normal spindashing/rolling jumps, or are you deliberately doing an Instashield? You've always been able to use Instashield activation to removed roll lock just like the elemental shields iirc.

3. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

From what I can tell, I think it's the activation of the Insta-Shield that then disables roll jump lock in that jump from a Drop Dash, meaning you have to Insta-Shield to disable it each time you jump.
    EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Huh, the out-running camera cheat seems to have been overlooked by everyone. I'm guessing that just leaves the "& Knuckles" cheat from Mania unaccounted for in the code, which is presumably what that unused sprite of Knuckles piloting the Tornado is for. There's also the Miles name toggle that's a title screen cheat instead for some reason.
    Someone mentioned the banana cheat's birthday is TheStoneBanana's. 4126 also grants all the Emeralds in S1's remaster.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Slightly off topic, but ever since its first use in Sonic 2, I've always wondered the actual meaning behind the numbers in that "All Emeralds" cheat. Has the meaning ever been discovered? Best I can think of is that it's a deliberately roundabout way of making 7 (i.e. the number of Emeralds in the game the cheat originates from) through addition and subtraction: 4 - 1 - 2 + 6 = 7.

5. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    "The seven good kine are seven years; and the seven good ears are seven years: the dream is one." (Genesis 41:26)

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Harper

Harper

No one has mentioned it so far. Inputting 4, 1, 2, 6 twice in 3&K will give you all of the Super Emeralds. You'll hear the Emerald sound on top of the Continue sound. 4, 1, 2, 6, 4, 1, 2, 6.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @_Sidle Are those all the codes which exist in the game, or just the ones we know about? I.e., is it worth trying the release dates of other Sonic games?

@Harper I believe the Super Emeralds thing was talked about in the speed strats video on cheat codes.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can't believe that cheat code references the bible that's crazy.

And I figured out that Super Emerald code early on, I guess I just never mentioned it. But that was there from launch.

EDIT: Actually, I can believe that's a Bible quote, because Sonic 2 was developed in America. That must have been one of the American staff's contributions. The fact its from Genesis just emphasizes that more since, again, America.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah, also kinda surprised that the other games didn't add an 'Exit' option on the title screen like they did for CD. It's more superfluous but really CD's menu is more concise than the others and that's ironically the one they downgraded to be more console accurate.

I am in the general agreement however that while the presentation's still a bit flawed, this patch really helps a lot, and I feel if it had came out in this quality, more people would have credited it as a decent compilation. I hope we get some more patches down the line to give it that final bit of polish.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    As I suggested earlier in the thread (and have now confirmed with the man himself), the Penguinator code (19990306) is in fact Mr. Poe's birthdate.

• List
  11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya it seems to come down to a weird level of "classic purity" for each title where Sega wants surface level annoyances in because that's how it was in 1991 and 1992, but also the drop dash nor wide screen nor coins nor smooth special Stages were in 1991 or 1992. Like at some point its best just to ignore that in favor of quality of life improvements, and that includes menus. I don't care if Sonic 1 and 2 use similar title screen menus, as 1. They aren't even the same to begin with (and i just noticed in Sonic 2 the "A" in Player has a different sprite between highlighted and not highlighted... good) and 2. Ffs its menus. If all 3 other games received the save menu treatment that Sonic 3 has I absolutely wouldn't complain. In fact that's what I'd prefer. In a collection such as this I want consistency more than "well that's how it was." No shit that's how it was, if I wanted to play it how it was I'd hook up the Genesis or boot up a ROM. But for me personally I'd rather see all 3 characters use their Mania sprites across all 4 games and all recieve upgraded menus and save select features.

And if people do complain about cleaned up menus well that's what classic mode should have been. THAT was the mode to make needlessly redundant for the sake of purity.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    7 is the number of perfection. The number is referenced over 700 times in the Bible.
    https://ph.news.yahoo.com/seven-gods-favorite-number-170039364.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah I mean some directions have SOME logic, if there wasn't a separate mode all about preserving the original feel of the games so they could have a modified alternate. Why not just keep the 'classic purity' in that mode only so there are SOME worthwhile differences in playing the two versions?

14. _Sidle

_Sidle

[+] Edited my OP with the new info, thanks lads! Hopefully someone can knock out the weird edge cases I've thought of under "TODO".

The original list of unused codes was found in the files pre-patch and reported by CodenameGamma. Someone else on the Retro Engine Modding Server took this screenshot of one of the game files in a hex editor.

upload_2022-8-6_11-46-45.png

That should be all there is.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Snowbound

Snowbound

Ah, the three pillars of genesis: the book of genesis, the sega genesis and the band genesis. Now can someone wheel out Phil Collins and set up a photoshoot of him with the bible and a copy of Sonic 3&Knuckles? ;p

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I know I more meant I was surprised because to my knowledge there aren't really a lot of Japanese Christians or Jews, I'd assume a team of Japanese developers would use a number more related to Japanese religion/folklore. But then I remembered that code came about in Sonic 2, the one developed in the US, and there definitely would have been someone there that'd of provided that reference, especially because it was found in "Genesis"

The book of Mega Drive doesn't exist :eng99:

17. corneliab

corneliab

This was already in the base game before the patch.

18. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Did we know about the 00000000 hard mode code prior to the update?
    I think the one significant difference between Classic and Anniversary that isn't lives, aspect ratio or character related is that for some reason, one S3&K theme switches between the S3 and S&K versions. S3 Extra Life jingle in Anniversary, S&K Extra Life jingle in Classic. No idea why this is when the other alternate themes aren't switched to be any more accurate to a specific version of the game. It might be for another distinction between Blue Spheres and New Spheres, which are presented in Classic and Anniversary respectively. But then you can just play either game in either mode through the level select anyway, so I don't know.

19. corneliab

corneliab

That life jingle difference bugs me more than it should, lol. I prefer the S&K one, and it's what S3&K originally used, so it's pretty annoying to play anniversary mode and have to hear the S3 life jingle popping up all over the place where it wasn't there before. And I'm pretty sure the zero code is among the new ones added in the patch.

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Really I think the S3/S3K modes should have a toggle like CD does at this point since they have both the font cheat and the separate music (MJ tracks aside of course).